PDA

View Full Version : quadzilla owners..look.. need help

03 ORANGE SHEE
01-09-2006, 07:23 PM
what are the head nuts on a 87 6 bolt head susposed to be tightened to?? i had the head cut and blows them every time , i guess they removed too much, i blows in different places and blows coolant out the overflow within minutes of startup:confused: sorry for the bad up close shot:banned:

twgranger
01-09-2006, 09:30 PM
You are still having trouble with that???????????

MTS
01-09-2006, 10:31 PM
Why didnt you have it double o-ringed?

sblt500r
01-09-2006, 10:33 PM
you had that head cut for an o-ring so why are you useing a head gasket? thats your problem, get rid of the head gasket and just use the o-ring. and you can't use gasket sealer on a head gasket it doesn't hold up.

i think the torque is around 18-21 ft lbs.

Xowner
01-10-2006, 10:22 PM
but what does it use to seal the water? it needs another place for a o ring on the outter side other side of the water port right?

Mosh
01-15-2006, 10:18 AM
maybe you know this already.but the suzukis are very critical to the placing of the headgasket to the jugs.are you sure the gasket is placed in the correct location to the jug?if not they overheat immediately.and you may want to check this spec,but almost all 2 strokes torque down to 16-20 footpounds on the cylinder heads.

twoodward15
01-15-2006, 11:11 AM
Ok, here goes.... I'm no two stroke expert, but I think you are using the wrong kind of sealant on your head gasket. You need to be using a dressing or a copper or silver spray on it, not a formagasket product. You aren't making a gasket, just trying to make sure it seals better. Find the right tube of it and a new head gasket, a good o-ring or wire for the groove, align the gasket before you do anything and mark it's location, apply sealant sparingly. It shouldn't be gushing out like the red stuff in the pics, just a light coat, very light to seal any imperfections. Install everything and torque to specs. Wait until the sealant cures and give it a few extra hours to make sure. Fill with coolant and then try it out. I think half of your problem is the gasket maker you are using and the other half might be using too much of it. Remember gasket dressing is what you are looking for. Personally I wouldn't use anything unless the surface was scratched, then I'd use some copper or silver spray (can). Torque in a criss crossing pattern and wait patiently for the sealnt to cure. Make sure you clean all surfaces with the proper solvent as well.

Rm250RF900R
01-15-2006, 11:33 AM
Just like baking bread.

Mosh
01-15-2006, 01:08 PM
you should not have to use any thing other than the stock gasket.they already have a compound on them for a perfect seal.if the gasket was just steel,then a sealer could be in order. but banshee gaskets are just thin steel and i put them on dry with no problems.i really think you need to examine the placement of the head gasket 03 shee.that is a comin mistake made on the suzuki 2 strokes.i have done a few lt 250s and i have seen them gaskets done wrong before.and the 500 is basically the same set-up.milling your head should not cuase overheating as long as the gasket is installed correctly and the head was milled straight and and not too much taken off.

conig
01-26-2006, 12:20 PM
are those specs on the side of the jug or what you paid?

Ive never seen someone charge less to cleanup the exhaust verse the intake intake is much more forgiving IMO. rough port.

Darius1502
02-02-2006, 04:56 AM
I never did change the head gasket on my LT. I woudl consider using the stock gasket or making your own provided you find the right thickness. I ended up doing this on my KTM 550. It works fine.

Also my KTM 550 required torque according to the manual at 29 foot pounds.

Good luck...the 87 was prone to have sealing issues. Better to swap the cylinder and get an 88.

I know this kind of thing is frustrating as hell.

Maico
02-02-2006, 10:19 AM
The '87 LT500's were notorious for weeping head gaskets. Modifying the cylinder/head often only makes it worse. 1 trick was to replace the stock studs with larger diameter ones. Make sure the head gasket is positioned properly. Make sure the cylinder surface is absolutely flat. I always used Cometic or factory Suzuki head gaskets.

P.S. ... Not to ruin your day but keep a close watch on the crank bearing bores in the cases. The bearings were famous for "walking" around and if left to do so it WILL become a much bigger and more expensive problem. By the looks of 1 of those cylinders...you've already found out another issue with '87's. Cylinder cracking.

03 ORANGE SHEE
02-03-2006, 10:29 AM
those numbers are for trinity measurements on my ports
the new cylinder has the larger stud update kit installed to prevent stud pullout
cometic is the problem im having with the head gaskets leaking, i put a oem and no leaks or problems since!
ive heard about the crank bearings spinnning and wearing holes in the cases, so far mine is okay, no wear
yeah, the 87 has larger tranfer port area,which meant thinner walls, and cracked onced ported (trinity) and the 87 had bigger 8 petal reeds and a larger intake track area, that is why they make 53-55hp, and the other years made 51-53 hp stock

Darius1502
02-04-2006, 02:55 AM
Hey Orangeshee sounds like you are learning alot about the zillas. I would love to imagine what that motor would be like in a two wheer chassis. Can you image the power if you shaved off 180 pounds?

Incredible engine on those quads. What HP do you think yours is putting out?

westcoast TRI-Z
02-04-2006, 01:49 PM
Hey Orangeshee sounds like you are learning alot about the zillas. I would love to imagine what that motor would be like in a two wheer chassis. Can you image the power if you shaved off 180 pounds?

Incredible engine on those quads. What HP do you think yours is putting out?
You already know, what with that KTM you have!:lol: Is there something the zilla motor has that the ktm doesn't:eek: :p