PDA

View Full Version : Striped Shifter Splines

HELLONWHEELS
01-11-2006, 10:26 PM
Hey guys i got a buddy with striped splines on his shifter linkage and we dont know what to do. We thought about welding it but people say it will get in the way when it comes time to pull the starter witch is a good point....Any one have any better ideas??
thanks

chris200x
01-11-2006, 10:27 PM
yea, get a good used one and replace it. Or you'l just be in for more headaches down the road.

:welcome: to the boards

bigredhead
01-11-2006, 10:30 PM
If the tightening bolt is bottomed out and the flat portions touch... grind a groove into the shift lever itself to widen the amount of adjustment the bolt will do.. sometimes if there are enough splines to catch it will get you by for a while..

Idealy, get a new shift lever.. the splines on the shaft itself are rarely worn.. it's almost always the lever at fault.

Buy an " Emgo " for 15 to 20 $.. it's worth the money.. or get a real honda one for tripple the price.

Check with Howdy from these boards.. he probably has something that fits..

Welding is the last resort... when the motor is trash and you plan to junk it.. then it's an option.. sometimes.... but don't weld it..

HELLONWHEELS
01-12-2006, 04:30 PM
alright sounds like a plan thanks guys

Howdy
01-12-2006, 04:38 PM
If the tightening bolt is bottomed out and the flat portions touch... grind a groove into the shift lever itself to widen the amount of adjustment the bolt will do.. sometimes if there are enough splines to catch it will get you by for a while..

Idealy, get a new shift lever.. the splines on the shaft itself are rarely worn.. it's almost always the lever at fault.

Buy an " Emgo " for 15 to 20 $.. it's worth the money.. or get a real honda one for tripple the price.

Check with Howdy from these boards.. he probably has something that fits..

Welding is the last resort... when the motor is trash and you plan to junk it.. then it's an option.. sometimes.... but don't weld it..

Yep, depending on the machine I should have one. There is only a limited number of machines that I don't have parts for. lol
Howdy

RedRider_AK
01-13-2006, 03:52 AM
You could just weld it on, then when you need to pull the starter off, you take a hacksaw.... :lol: