PDA

View Full Version : CR250R Conversion to ATCR250R

Pages : [1] 2

SpeedBump
01-14-2006, 11:13 PM
Well, I been thinkin bout this for a while and finally took the plunge! Sorry the pics are not that great, but with the foul weather, gotta do most of the work in the Basement instead of up in the garage. (Trucks/Car Projects taking up too much room there)

Quick rundown on my plan.

Billet and aluminum square tube swingarm.
Billet upper and lower tripples.
Inverted front forks.
Honda 450R or 250EX Rear Fenders with a custom built seat (Derrick Adams)
Magura Fat Bars on custom Billet Risers.
Gotta go with the Custom Douglas 10" front wheel with the 21" tire that Derrick got built.
Banshee +4 Axle for the rearend.
Using the big beefy twin piston brakes...front and back.
Not sure if I want to try out the Twister again, or put on a new ThumbThrottle. (I had twisties in the past and didn't care much for it, but I am already gonna be spendin a ton of $$$$ on this thing)

I have already made arrangements with a friend who works @ a machine shop. He is getting the swinger and the tripples Monday for measurements. I am going to do the swinger first so I can set the rear ride height and get the shock placement figured out. Can't setup the front (rake-steering head angle) until I get the rear rolling/set-up. As soon as the wife releases some fundage, I will get my parts ordered up (week or two) I will update later. This project SHOULD be ready for a shakedown run well before TrikeFest.

Thanks Derrick for lighting the Fire under my ARSE!!!! :w00t:

I am getting the pictures resized and will post some in a little bit.

MTS
01-14-2006, 11:17 PM
Heck all ya gota do now is shove the cr500 motor in there and ya would have my dream trike, Alumframe 500...Trike...W00t...this is gona be sweet....cant wait to see it done!

Billy Golightly
01-14-2006, 11:28 PM
Interesting...Have fun :)

SpeedBump
01-14-2006, 11:39 PM
Got a few pics up now. Not much there after it gets stripped down. I can pick what's left up and walk around with it. Bet it is less than 125lbs. LOL! Hopefully this thing will be less than 300lbs when it is finished. High HP & low weight= Trouble for the 500s!

Again, sorry bout the poor pics (lighting sucks down in the dungeon, lol)

SpeedBump
01-14-2006, 11:41 PM
Wish me luck...gonna need it! At least if things go wrong, I will not be cutting up anthing important to be able to go back to 2 wheels.

RideRed250R
01-15-2006, 02:35 AM
i think it will defently be fun to pull off but i like how you plan to keep the parts you need to through her back to 2 wheels
adam

Darius1502
01-15-2006, 10:14 PM
Man good luck...thats an awesome project idea....hats off to you!!

85hondaatc125m
01-15-2006, 10:36 PM
Your a hero to all of us trikers and i salute you, cant wait to see what it looks like when the ol' gal is done

Jason Hall
01-16-2006, 08:39 PM
That will be one fast ride speedbump. I've been wanting to just slide a CR 250-R motor in a 86-R frame. But the aluminum frame is the ticket. If I were doing that project I would try to use the cr rear suspension linkage & build the swingarm rite to keep the origional cr rake. Good idea dude, good luck with it.

SpeedBump
01-16-2006, 08:56 PM
The original swinger just got droped off today at the machinist's shop. He is going to make a CNC billet front and rear section and I will have to get some aluminum sqaure tubing for the side rails. I got a welder lined up...if he can find the time and I can figure a way to get the swinger "tacked" in place. I have to fit it with the engine/frame to get the sprockets lined up. I am going to use the stock linkage to begin with. Once I get the swinger mocked up, I will be able to tell if the ride height will be acceptable or if I will need to modify the linkage, or just scrap it and go with a no-link set-up. I hope I don't ahve to do the latter, as that will greatly affect the sprig rate without linkage. If that happens, I will need to change out the spring. (I got a 350X shock/spring here and may just try it out for sizing/rate. Derrick got me all wound up now. I didn't plan on starting this till the weather broke, but like he said....better sooner than later and I don't want to get stuck and not get it finished before TF06. I am going to go order my Bearing Carrier and Axle right now! LOL....Boy Derrick....you gotta quit callin me!!!!!

3leggeddog
01-16-2006, 08:58 PM
yeah i too think you should use the suspionsion of the cr,thats the whole idea right.more power,better suspiosion.have derrick show you his swinger on the 500.thats how i would do it.as far as the front,thats fairly simple,just expensive.i love the fact that your gonna do it.i should have cut mine up!!!!!!!!

edog
01-16-2006, 09:18 PM
That thing is going to kick ass.

trainingwheeler
01-16-2006, 09:41 PM
where in PA are *Edited* speedbump?????

Derrick Adams
01-16-2006, 09:50 PM
Guess I better call you again later this week! Your wife's going to hate me. Especially since I know how much the axle and carrier cost!

A word of advice, if he is CNC machining all the aluminum parts for the swinger and triples, MAKE SURE he saves the programs. They will pay for themselves 10 fold, if it works out good.

SpeedBump
01-16-2006, 09:55 PM
Belsano, PA. It is about 6 miles west of Ebensburg. I just tried to order up my axle...Durablue X-33....and out of stock for now. Anybody try those new Axles that RockyMountain ATV sells? They are called G-Force. They look to be decent, but I wonder how strong they would be. $199.00 is really inexpensive for a brand new, chrome +4 axle..hmmmm. Wonder if....

Darius1502
01-17-2006, 03:56 PM
You are my hero man...

...this is the coolest freak'in project on the whole board...(well the ATC 500R projects rock too)...

Something about this one is so damn exciting. Best of luck...man!!

Maybe you could sell some conversion kits one day?

Please post plenty of pics!!

Darius1502
01-17-2006, 03:58 PM
Oh...I would change the title of this thread to "CR250r to ATC project" or something.

It was hard to tell if this was a conversion or just a regular 250r project.

3Razors
01-17-2006, 08:56 PM
The g-force axle work great. Awesome value for the dollar.

This is a really cool project. Ive been wanting someone to do this for awhile! Are *Edited* making custom triple clamps for the forks?

200xcellent
01-17-2006, 09:47 PM
Is this gonna be done in time for TF? Well knowin the way you work it will be done in 2 weeks! Sweet project Bump, now you can get rid of that green grass hopper looking thing haha

SpeedBump
01-18-2006, 07:45 AM
Is this gonna be done in time for TF? Well knowin the way you work it will be done in 2 weeks! Sweet project Bump, now you can get rid of that green grass hopper looking thing haha

Well, I would get rid of it, but then what would you pick on me about? Ahh, nevermind...I could only guess!

Yes, it SHOULD be finished for TF06. I am working on it steady until It get finished so it BETTER be ready.

The g-force axle work great. Awesome value for the dollar.

This is a really cool project. Ive been wanting someone to do this for awhile! Are you making custom triple clamps for the forks?

Yes, I am 100% going with the Billet Trips. I have to. There will be clearance problems if I use a set of 250Rs. I am kinda getting 2nd thoughts about the swinger. Got a chance to talk to my buddy (he has may parts and measured the specs) who is gonna do the work and there is a small snag in the plan. The prices of Aluminum are up right now. The chunk needed to make the front section of the swinger is about $80. That is a bit too steep, especially since MOST of that will be in shavings on the floor when it is all done. The rear piece looks like it will be cheap enough, but then I need square tubing and finally it will need welded. As everybody know, plans change and this project is no different. I refuse to NOT use aluminum, but I may have to settle on using the original swinger and just cutting it down. We'll see. I am stopping at one of my customers today, it is a steel/crap metal salvage yard. They have all sorts of bar stock aluminum and tubing as well. I have bought from them before and they cut me some slack on pricing. Crossin my fingers they have what I need. Ok, enough for now. Gotta go eat and get ready for work. Updates later.

BTW, I remember back in this thread somebody talking about kits for this conversion....... Yep, I plan on getting one together...if there isn't too much custom fab work involved. I if I can get the front/back built, triples done and the buyer only needs to buy the tubing and get it welded up, then possibly it could work. I don't know if there is even a market to actually build the swingers to sell. Oh well, that is a good ways off. I need to concentrate on MINE project. C-Ya!

Mike_Ham_250R
01-18-2006, 07:53 AM
I hope its done for 06 so I can steal a ride on it :-D .

SpeedBump
01-19-2006, 07:57 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RAD-BEARING-CARRIER-Yamaha-BANSHEE-1-Year-Warranty_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43972QQitemZ46 06243215
That is on the way already. I guess I am now fully committed to the project.
Deciding on an Axle now. Axcaliber or Durablue X-33 :wondering
Got a Billet Center 350X front wheel waitin out in Ohio! ;)
Gonna get the ITP C-Series rears with Holeshots.
Gotta stop at the Local Shop today to check prices. ;) I am getting excited!!! :w00t:

Here we go...burning the #s off the old Visa Card! :cry:

toyota200x
01-19-2006, 12:01 PM
That thing is going to kick ass.
I am so impressed that you are doing this. I have always wanted to see some one convert a dirt bike.

toyota200x
01-19-2006, 12:04 PM
Belsano, PA. It is about 6 miles west of Ebensburg. I just tried to order up my axle...Durablue X-33....and out of stock for now. Anybody try those new Axles that RockyMountain ATV sells? They are called G-Force. They look to be decent, but I wonder how strong they would be. $199.00 is really inexpensive for a brand new, chrome +4 axle..hmmmm. Wonder if....

Dirt wheels tested them and they said they where great except that you needed to make a tool inorder to tighten the axle bolt. The company may have came out with a tool now because they said they would.

SpeedBump
01-19-2006, 08:17 PM
Parts list update..

Went with the Durablue X-33 Axle..... http://www.durablue.com/prods_axles.shtml

I added the Billet Sprocket and Billet Brake Hubs too......The sprocket hub is special. It has the Yamaha Spline, but mounts a Honda Sprocket.

Cost so far...$820

SpeedBump
01-19-2006, 09:46 PM
New Brake Caliper. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4606190663

Figured may as well buy new. It would be a shame to put on a crappy leaking USED one. This new one already has the new pads too! LOL!

$940! :rolleyes: :lol:

200xcellent
01-19-2006, 09:54 PM
Haha bump you are a spendin guru! You might need to start waitressing down at that little diner to support you habit.....

SpeedBump
01-19-2006, 10:16 PM
If I did decide to work there, I would put some SPICES in the food. Little bland for my taste. BTW, this isn't MY money, it's the WIFE'S!!!! :w00t:

Don't worry bout the $$$$$ Charlie, not gonna be spending too much more. I figured I would need to spend around $1500 or so on a decent ATC350X or ATC250R, so I can safely spend that on this project. I should be close to $1500 after it is all said and done. If I go over some, no biggie. I have been a good boy and not spent much this past year. (let my Poor T4 go to heII maintainence wise! ;) )

breastman569
01-20-2006, 01:24 PM
you will love that rad carrier i have one on my R and its the best so smooth and that greese fitting makes a world of differece in longevity.

Derrick Adams
01-20-2006, 01:58 PM
This project got me totally motivated on my 500. It's at the fab shop now, getting the subframe built! Now I can't wait to ride it. 75hp and 12" of suspension travel.:w00t:

200xcellent
01-20-2006, 05:04 PM
Yeah now we're talkin!!!

SpeedBump
01-20-2006, 07:22 PM
Rad Carrier. Yep, for sure I will love it. This is my 3rd one! The next one I buy will ALSO be a Rad.

Slight change on my parts list. Due to an error in my order. I will NOT be getting the Durablue Sprocket Hub or the Durablue Brake Hub. Long story, so just know I will be getting the LoneStar Hubs. Still Billet, still trick! LOL!

Also got my Aluminum Square Tubing for the SubFrame ordered. Won't be in for 2 weeks. That is fine, as it will be the last thing I really need to build. I got LOTS of other issues to deal with FIRST!

Going down to work on it in a little while. Hope to have some interesting pics later.

SpeedBump
01-20-2006, 11:21 PM
Just did this to mock up how the forks will fit. Not sure about the angle/rake. Kinda hard to tell without getting the bike sitting how it should. Gonna have to have the swinger done before I commit to the Triples. From what I can tell, they will be no problem. Looks like the same dimensions as the 250R. I think I will give them a bit steeper angle and push the tubes forward 1/2" to get a little more clearance with the radiators. I don't have a 250R or 350X here to compare the amount of steering, (stop to stop) so could sombody let me know how it compares to their's. Thanks. Here are a couple pics.

BTW, the 250R fenders fit real close as is. Too bad I want to go with late model plastics. ;)

SpeedBump
01-20-2006, 11:24 PM
Don't worry about the forks being slid way up in the trips. The actual clamps with be about 1 1/2" wide so it kinda looks funny right now. They WILL be slid up more than stock, but not more than an inch...give or take.

3leggeddog
01-20-2006, 11:32 PM
you should cut up that west coast swinger your never gonna do anything with and use it,lol.just a joke,but your siick enough to do it!!!!!!!!

SpeedBump
01-20-2006, 11:43 PM
LOL, why do you think it is DOWN there? I checked it out.....not 100% outta the QUESTION!!!!!!!!!

Louis Mielke
01-21-2006, 03:06 AM
Go for trailing front axel. Compensate the rake in the tripples. Handling will be tighter.

This things gonna be sick, you should really start with a 450f. That might be my next project.

350Xhilaration
01-21-2006, 09:55 AM
If you need some measurements, you know where to find a 350X :Bounce

SpeedBump
01-21-2006, 11:05 AM
Go for trailing front axel. Compensate the rake in the tripples. Handling will be tighter.

This things gonna be sick, you should really start with a 450f. That might be my next project.

I am not sure if the forks can take the physical demands of havin the axle in a "trailing" configuration. They are designed to be "leading" and there really isn't alot of material there to support the axle. I just got off the phone with Derrick and he was making that point and I would tend to agree with him. I also plan on using a 350X front fender and I believe it would look a bit goofy with the trailing axle.

As for the CRF450...that is originally what I had planned to do, but the CR250 came into my possession first. Figured I can "practice" on this one...sell it and THEN build a 4 POKE.

Heck, if ya want info on a 450F conversion. Go over to .org and check out ole Billdoe. I understand HE is building one. :crazy: :lol:

200x Basket
01-21-2006, 11:55 AM
i bet thaty plywood does not last long on the trail :lmao:

did you see how the guy converting the cr500 into a 500r did his swinger? he took the front half of the 500 and mated it to a 400ex swinger. kept the 500 shock and used all the 400ex rear parts. pretty trick and not too complicated.

http://tiger.towson.edu/~lmielk1/atc500r.html

SpeedBump
01-21-2006, 12:27 PM
Sure did see it. Great project he has there.

I thought about doing the same thing with the 400EX rear, but opted for the Banshee for a few reasons. The brakes mount right on the bearing carrier so no need for brake stays and other mods to the swinger. 2nd, the way the banshee carrier mounts in the swinger gives a bit more room for alignment side to side.

Another reason. In the event I can't get the original plan to work out for me, I think it would be easier to build a complete custom swingarm to accept Banshee components.

Thanks for the heads up Chris.

BTW, That is NOT ordinary Plywood. It has been treated with a special weather resistant coating. I also used my "secret" wood tempering oven to give it just the right amount of "hardness" without making it brittle. :naughty: :naughty: :lol: :lol:

Darius1502
01-21-2006, 01:43 PM
Awesome work. I am checking this thread every day. I am glad you are buildng a 2 stroke. Screw the 4 strokes.

That CR 250 will haul some serious ass. What rear fender are you going to use?

I think the 350x fender is a good choice.

Great job...Yippeee!!

thefox
01-21-2006, 01:52 PM
What are you planning on for the kick starter? Can you use ATC parts to turn it into a forward kicker?

SpeedBump
01-21-2006, 02:23 PM
Kicker, nope. Not getting into the engine (Well, I got a 270 Kit at the Machine shop for it, and I will do some portwork, but that will be AFTER I get things done..as $$$ allows) I plan on using the original kicker. I put on the 250R fender and with a bit of trimming on the bottoms of the rear fenders, the kicker looks like it will just slip on by. ( I have always trimmmed my fenders off at the bottom, so not a big deal) I also may end up shortening it an inch or so, but that should just keep the WEAK ARSE guys from riding it. If ya can't start it, ya can't ride it!

As for my Plastic choice...Either a TRX450R or a TRX250EX. I know you say EX??? WTF, but go look at the new '06s They look very similar to the 450Rs. Real swept-back look. Modern looking rears to go with the modern tank/radiator shrouds. I want something unlike anything else out here. I just hope I can make it all work. Getting everyone all juiced up and then NOT being able to complete it is kinda like "TRIKE BLUEBALLZ" LMAO!

Thanks for all your supportive comments.

RichinMO
01-21-2006, 04:32 PM
Unless they changed the setup for 06 the 250ex fenders are bolt on with only the seat removable. Unless that doesn't make a difference.

SpeedBump
01-21-2006, 05:09 PM
Yeah, it is still the same as 05. I believe the 450R is the same too. Only the seat pops off. Not gonna be a problem, as we (Derrick A) are going to be building a new fiberglass seatpan with a custom seat. I have a ATC250R seat mounting bracket and release here somewhere, so that will be worked into it somehow. Thanks for the info.

Louis Mielke
01-21-2006, 07:09 PM
i bet thaty plywood does not last long on the trail :lmao:

did you see how the guy converting the cr500 into a 500r did his swinger? he took the front half of the 500 and mated it to a 400ex swinger. kept the 500 shock and used all the 400ex rear parts. pretty trick and not too complicated.

http://tiger.towson.edu/~lmielk1/atc500r.html

200x basket,

"The guy doing the 500 conversion" is me, just in case you didn't see my post earlier in the thread. lol

As much as I like how the 400ex swinger worked out fo rme I do think the banshee stuff with be a bit easier no matter what you do with the swinger, the alignment with the 400ex arm was a problem and i still ended up needing a spacer on the rear sprocket.

Louis Mielke
01-21-2006, 07:14 PM
Kicker, nope. Not getting into the engine (Well, I got a 270 Kit at the Machine shop for it, and I will do some portwork, but that will be AFTER I get things done..as $$$ allows) I plan on using the original kicker. I put on the 250R fender and with a bit of trimming on the bottoms of the rear fenders, the kicker looks like it will just slip on by. ( I have always trimmmed my fenders off at the bottom, so not a big deal) I also may end up shortening it an inch or so, but that should just keep the WEAK ARSE guys from riding it. If ya can't start it, ya can't ride it!

As for my Plastic choice...Either a TRX450R or a TRX250EX. I know you say EX??? WTF, but go look at the new '06s They look very similar to the 450Rs. Real swept-back look. Modern looking rears to go with the modern tank/radiator shrouds. I want something unlike anything else out here. I just hope I can make it all work. Getting everyone all juiced up and then NOT being able to complete it is kinda like "TRIKE BLUEBALLZ" LMAO!

Thanks for all your supportive comments.

call up service honda and get one of thier reverse kickers that they're puting on the new trx250rs they're building. Its a bolt on reversing mechanism. That would make it perfect and giv eyou lots more room to work with the rear fenders.

SpeedBump
01-22-2006, 12:55 PM
I will check into that later, for now, I am spending my resources on getting this thing up and ridable. As more $$$ becomes availble, I will start doing the small things like that. Thanks for the info.

Small update, nothing serious. I got a draft of my triple clamps drawn up. I am not sure if he can put in the slats or not, but I think it would give it a nice look. Here is a pic of it. The bottom will be nearly the same but it will be solid. Below the clamp pic is what it will look like from the side and the end.

Billy Golightly
01-22-2006, 02:38 PM
Hey Speedbump...a few tips I learned from building tripple clamps for my Tri-Z:

Make the clamping surface (Thickness) of the clamps very generous. Go atleast as much as the stock clamps and maybe more. The way the inverted forks are designed there is a taper to them in place where they go onto the tripples, and below it. If you need to slide them up to where the tapered part starts to go in the tripple and you have a little "extra" clamping sufrace its not to bad. But having them go in and then only having a quarter of the clamping surface actually in contact with the fork because of the taper definetly isn't good.

Next, the spacing in between each fork. I measured Tri-Z, and 250R clamps and came up with 11 inches center to center of each hole in the clamps. This is what I used too. Only problem I found out was that since I was using larger diameter forks, the actual clearence from the outside of each hole to the other was changed of course. This made the clearence inbetween the front tire a little bit less then I would have liked. Nothing rubs, but its hella close. It played hell with the front fender too. I never did the math because I'm dumb at that but I figure there must be a way to divide the stock fork diameter into the 11 inch spacing and then figure out exactly how much more you should add to make up for the larger fork size.

Also, you might consider moving the stem hole a little bit further back and away from the fork holes on the tripple clamps. It puts the front end further out and allows you a much better turning angle.

Have Fun :)

SpeedBump
01-22-2006, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the comments. The top measurement where the clamp goes on the fork is just about 2". (I guess I could get the EXACT mm but I will leave that up to the machinst.) Down at the bottom clamp it bulges out to about 2 1/4". I am going to make the clamps nearly the same size as the stockers. I have looked at a large amount of aftermarket Billet clamps and none of them are as large as the stockers. I am guessing the stockers are so large because of the lack of strength compared to Billet. The tapered areas on the forks are large enough to be able to hit them. I will use them for all the specs. I will take into consideration the fork spacing. I guess I will sit down and do the freaking math to figure out the difference I will need to factor in. :mad: Me and Derrick were talking about it already. ;) I made the first set of wooden ones too narrow, and I just finished a 2nd set of wooden ones. They are right @ 11" on center. From what you posted, I may need to move them out another 1/4" to gain 1/2 of clearance down at the bottom. A

Again, thanks for the info. Anything others can add to the discussion will be greatly appreciated.

Billy Golightly
01-22-2006, 04:22 PM
Not a problem...I'm gonna hopefully get started on my second set of tripples in the next couple weeks. Make some aluminum ones instead of these steel ones I have now.

Couple of other things I just remembered real quick. If you use the narrow dirtbike type spacing for the handle bar clamps you'll have a bigger selection of bars and wont have to use ones that are made just for the quads with the wide spacing (probably already thought of this). And the other one is, when you widen out the clamps, make sure you check the spacing inbetween your radiators and shrouds. This was an issue on my Z and is one of the main reasons why I ended up having to push them further out forward. When I did that, it gave it enough room to still turn sharp (A lot sharper then stock actually) without hitting anything.

toyota200x
01-23-2006, 09:15 PM
Sweet work Speed bump

Honda ATC can we see pics of your tri z

Billy Golightly
01-23-2006, 09:34 PM
Theres lots of it on here, do a search for inverted forks and "inverts".

SpeedBump
01-23-2006, 09:43 PM
Gettin excited now. The new Brake Caliper just came in today. I was a bit nervous about it being some Korean/Taiwanese knock-off. From what I can tell it is a genuine Nissin Caliper. It does have a generic E-Brake block-off, but that is cool. After I get it all sanded down and polished up, it will be fine. I would love to take the time to polish up the whole caliper, but hmm, there I go again...being LAZY!!! :lol:

Tomorrow the LSR Billet hubs should be in. If they make it, I will post up a pic or 2 of them.

Update on the triple clamps. I just dropped off the final draft and final wooden templates to my machinist. He is going to order up the Aluminum tomorrow and give me a final estimate on Price.

Update on the Swinger. Talked to the fella who is going to be doing my welding. He has to see if he can get my 2x3 aluminum tubing in, and then I cas start cutting up the stocker and fab up the new one. If he can't order it, a friend that works in a welding shop (builds Coal Railroad Cars) will see if he can get it for me. I can't believe it is THIS damn tuff finding the aluminum tubing. Anyway, the good news for the swinger is, it is only gonna cost less than $50 to get it all welded up. A bit of not so good news....I must take the bike to him where he is an instructor, and AFTER his last class he can work on it. He is on night class for the next 6 months. He gets finished with his work around 12:30 or so. Yawn, I am tired just thinkin about it. I gotta be there to help keep everything in alignment. Gonna make it a Friday Night so I can sleep in Sat AM.

Well, enough rambling, check out the new Caliper. $120 to the door. I would have to say that is a good deal.

SpeedBump
01-26-2006, 11:32 PM
Few more parts showed up today. :w00t:
Lone Star Racing Billet Brake Hub, Lone Star Billet Sprocket Hub and the Rad MFG. Billet Bearing Carrier. Boy, the back-end of this thing is starting to get a bit pricey, but BOY is is looking good! :naughty:
Axle will be in tomorrow.

My Friend is starting on my Triples as soon as the Aluminum gets in. He has all the measurements and the templates finished and ready to go. If all goes well, this thing should be ready to take for a test ride in a few weeks. I will still have alot of work to do to get it finished, but once the trips and swinger are done, I can still ride it with the stock seat/subframe to see how it feels. Can't wait.

Darius1502
01-27-2006, 01:34 AM
You're awesome man!!

SpeedBump
01-27-2006, 08:21 AM
Nah, just having some fun!:w00t: :w00t:

"Awesome" will be the Trike! :naughty: ;)

Groundworx
01-27-2006, 07:01 PM
Keep postin SpeedBump. I was actually thinking about this same project about a month ago. What forks are you using?

toyota200x
01-28-2006, 10:59 AM
Yeah those are some sweet parts.

SpeedBump
01-28-2006, 07:40 PM
Keep postin SpeedBump. I was actually thinking about this same project about a month ago. What forks are you using?
I am using the original inverted CR forks. :naughty:

Got a few more!!! :w00t:

There is a little story that goes with these....
Axle Story....

Had a friend who is a dealer for JL ATV Parts order me up the Durablue X-33.
Cost: $415.00 to the door. When it arrives, the goofballz at the warehouse put in the wheel hubs WITHOUT any additional packing material. They were slid in right against the axle. Well, I guess I don't have to tell ya what happened. The hubs rubbed against the axle the entire trip from Cali. When we opened it up, you could plainly see the damage. It isn't terrible and more than likely it would have gotten scratched/scraped/scuffed on the first ride, but I paid for BRAN NEW and was less than thrilled. A handful of pictures and a couple phone calls later, I have a $75 refund check on the way. New Total cost....$340 to the door. Let me tell you guys something. The people at JL ATV are super to work with. I didn't have to fight, get upset or "go off" on anybody. They were very pleasant and very apologetic. I would have no problem ordering from them again.

Wheel/Hub Story....

This came from Ebay. The fella had it listed as a 1983 ATC 250R Wheel. I think it is a 86 350X or 87 200X setup. (95% sure anyway, if ya got other ideas let me know) It didn't show up in the 350X searches or I am sure SOMEBODY would have bid on it. I camped out on this baby 'till 11pm, shot in a $40 bid and won. $55 total to the door, got it in 3 days. Looks near perfect. There are a few small scrapes along the bead area, but they are very superficial. There is one small bend in the lip on one side, but nothing to really get worried about. I think with a small smack of the hammer on a piece of wood will take care of it. I think I got a he!! of a deal on it, what do you guys think.

BTW, I am in need of an AXLE and bushings for this hub, if ya got, let me know if you will sell and if so, price. Thanks.

I included one pic of the rear assembly near complete. Just need a rotor and sprocket. (Lock Nut in box ;) )

Trikeaholic
01-28-2006, 08:25 PM
I am dying to see this thing on 3 wheels

HURRY THE HECK UP!

SpeedBump
01-28-2006, 10:16 PM
I am dying to see this thing on 3 wheels

HURRY THE HECK UP!

:w00t: :lol:

Darius1502
01-28-2006, 10:36 PM
Me too...this thread should be voted 'Thread of the Century!!'

toyota200x
02-02-2006, 11:12 PM
Any news??? I love this thread.

edog
02-02-2006, 11:26 PM
That rear end set up is insane.

SpeedBump
02-03-2006, 07:46 AM
Latest update.....
Dan, welder. is going to help me get all the measurements for the swinger this weekend. I have all the aluminum stock ready to go. Gonna have to cut up the original swinger. Small sacrifice, but one I am willing to make! LOL!

Mark, machinist, is not doing as well as I had hoped. He has my aluminum ordered, but it hasn't arrived as of Wed afternoon. He will not be working on it until at least NEXT weekend...if the billet shows up. He has an appointment today to have a small lump biopsied to see if it is cancer. Not good. He isn't real worried about it, but theses things are never "minor" until the tests come back and show it to be nothing. As for my triples, if everything goes well for him, and the aluminum makes it in, he said it should take a weekend to knock them out.

I also stopped by the Cycle Shop yesterday and did some measuring. I needed to figure out which rear fender to use. Honda 450R or 250EX. The ex seems a bit wide, so more that likely I will go with the 450R...in Red.
I ordered up the front fender too. Gonna go with a Red Maier 86/87 200X.
Got the numberplate in the pipeline too. 2006 Yamaha YZF 450 front plate. Sweet looking # plate. It is also the widest (11.5") with sharp angles that most look like the rear 450R plastics. I put up a picture of it but can't get a good look at it there. It will look right at home on the new R. I have to talk to the fella at the steel supply yard today (if I get some time ) and see if my aluminum square tube for the subframe came in yet. Another $75 down the black hole!!!! LOL!

***I am STILL searching for a front axle/bushings for my 350X wheel. If anyone has one for sell, please let me know. (Price, shipping too)***

Thanks for all your comments, hopefully I can get this bad boy up and running soon. Glad to see so many people interested in this project.

toyota200x
02-03-2006, 11:20 PM
Thank you for the undate.:D

Derrick Adams
02-04-2006, 11:56 AM
Haa Haa!:beer

SpeedBump
02-04-2006, 06:08 PM
Those are GAY!!! Like YOU!!!! GRRRRR!!!!

Derrick Adams
02-04-2006, 06:12 PM
LMAO... I was actually going to mail them to you, but now I think i'll stick them on my lawnmower.

toyota200x
02-07-2006, 09:36 PM
Any new pics to post?

SpeedBump
02-11-2006, 12:16 PM
Any new pics to post?
Quick look at my new rear Brake Rotor...

Very cool!!! Well, I think it is anyway! LOL! Its gonna be a shame when it starts to get used. Gonna be scraped and have lines all around it...you can see them just from spinnin the axle now. Oh well, still looks cool! :w00t:

200xcellent
02-11-2006, 12:18 PM
Those axles are the bomb, I cant wait till I grow up and buy axles like that:lol:

kloby
02-11-2006, 12:19 PM
WOW! That looks trick. I love it!

Darius1502
02-11-2006, 03:32 PM
Wow...who made that rotor?

cost...if you dont me asking?

jmack3986
02-11-2006, 03:47 PM
you know what criag i am just going to use a 250r swinger for my little trike prject it is so close to a perfect fit that i know it will be easy to make work. also let me know anout the price of trpples too so i cna get some for my little project midsize suspended. then that way i will have less to buy. i am going to try and mount 250r swinger to it this coming weekend. and hope everything lines up so cost is down. Just let me know on the trees craig

jmack3986
02-11-2006, 03:52 PM
measurements are are there on swinger heheit is going to work with 250r rear end.

SpeedBump
02-11-2006, 05:25 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4609192055&category=43974

That is the auction I won, They also have a site. http://customatvs.com/Screamn_Billet_Products_Rear_Brake_Rotors_.htm

Now, I will be pissed it everyone buys one of these....I LIKE TO BE UNIQUE!!! :naughty:

Honestly, I was very hesitant about buying one of these. I have never seen them before, know nothing about the company and not even sure if they would be built strong enought. After getting mine...fast shipping btw....I am convinced it will be a good item. Feels very sturdy, very precise cuts and fits quite well on my hub. They also make an IronCross Version, and a BioHazard. I was torn between the BioHazard and the Flaming Skullz. The Skullz won. The Iron Cross looks too wimpy. Reminds me of SnowFlakes. (some guys here may like that! LOL)

Smack, the trips are gonna cost me $225-$250. He said the price will go up as mine are a prototype. Before y'all get all nutz about the price...aluminum is not cheap. The 2 pieces of Billet 6061 cost $125 alone. It will take the better part of a day (8-10 hrs) to machine. Figure that out, and he is making what, $10/hr give or take a bit.

BigGreenMachine
02-11-2006, 06:05 PM
This is great, that rotor is awsome!

jmack3986
02-12-2006, 03:15 PM
I would prefer cast offer billet though but that would be a little harder to machine, or easier. I just hope i can get this jop at my local hospital. job= money+ free college catch is have to work there for 2 years after graduation. so in the long run i will be making cloe to 25000 a year plus going to college full time for 2 years. i think it is worth it. weekends off of course hehe. cant wait going to be fun. man i hope i can get this my project done. still dont know if i should reveal or keep it hush hush. i will decide once it warms up a little my garage is freesing.

Bryan Raffa
02-12-2006, 03:31 PM
where did you get that rotor and what do they make them for?????!!!!!!! thats the coolest thing ive seen in a long time!!!!!! i didnt see the link above

kloby
02-12-2006, 03:42 PM
I think its a awesome idea, but thats a nice bike. a little cleaning, and would be 80 feet in the air in no time. ;)

SpeedBump
02-14-2006, 09:03 PM
Who said it STILL can't be 80' in the AIR with an EXTRA WHEEL??? :w00t: Now, I am not saying I would do it, but SOMEBODY could do it...any volunteers? Where's Wes Miller when you need him?

Anyway, got some good news to share. My Trips are nearly finished. Here is a pic or two of them in rough condition. I brought them home to test fit them and also to figure out my handlebar mount location. I think I am going to use Honda ATV spacing, that way, I can order up bars easier. I am looking to get a set of Magura Bulge Bars and the billet mounts to go with them. EVERYONE runs TAG, ProTaper or Renthals, and in keeping with the theme of this project, I am going for unique!

enough blab, here are the pics.
They are not finished, so don't be hard on them. The ends will be rounded off, the front sideswill be recessed. I am going to see how much more it will cost to remove some of the material from the underside to save a bit of weight. After they are ready to mount up, they will get one last finishing step....a trip to the buffing wheel. What good is BILLET if it don't SHINE!!!!!
Getting REAL excited!

Darius1502
02-14-2006, 09:13 PM
Man this is going to be the best damn project ever. SpeedBump you are a god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3leggeddog
02-14-2006, 09:54 PM
nice work bump.

i'll be your volunteer bud!!!!!!!

SpeedBump
02-14-2006, 10:15 PM
nice work bump.

i'll be your volunteer bud!!!!!!!

I fully EXPECT the OTC to ride this baby and give me feedback! As for the 80 in the air, lemme get the camera! :w00t: :w00t:

Thanks for the kind words.

BIG*E*22188
02-15-2006, 12:47 AM
wow awsome project .... i cant wait to se this thnig..... and i know darn well yuor way past yuor spending limit... well you have to be any way lol but we can keep a secret lol

toyota200x
02-15-2006, 06:54 PM
Those look awesome. keep us updated.

toyota200x
02-19-2006, 09:52 PM
More updates please.:Bounce

SpeedBump
02-22-2006, 09:02 PM
Small update....Got my new front tire mounted up tonight.
No front fender YET! No idea what is going on with that one. GRRRRRR!!!
Mark said it was TOO cold to work on my Triples this past weekend! GRRRRRR!!!
Said he WILL get it finished by the Weekend for me...warmed up during the week.
Still at a stand still on the rearend. Need the front finished first. Hmmm, what else? Ahh, did I say I got my new tires mounted? LOL.... couple pics for ya. I really didn't realize how aggressive these Trail Wolf tires really are. The ones on the Timberwolf are worn way down so been fooled by them.

Derrick Adams
02-22-2006, 09:11 PM
Agressive...maybe. Turn when you want it too...definately!

SpeedBump
02-22-2006, 09:20 PM
LOL, good thing....would hate to Crash it on its maiden ride! LMAO!!!

3leggeddog
02-22-2006, 09:37 PM
hmm,sounds like somebody i know,wink,wink,hmmm UNCLE D!!!!!!!!

smokinp
02-22-2006, 10:03 PM
so far so good...:w00t:

Darius1502
02-23-2006, 02:22 AM
can't wait to see pics....

got any more of the Trike?

Oldshell4481
03-02-2006, 07:31 PM
updates updates updates??? just checked this thread out for the first time, this is quite pimp.

Groundworx
03-02-2006, 07:44 PM
I was thinking the same thing earlier. Haven't heard much lately...

SpeedBump
03-02-2006, 08:08 PM
Ok, update time....
Sorry not much to say rightnow. The cold weather has been keeping my machinist from working on my Trips. (Large shop, costs lots to heat) Anyway, this week the weather got better so he managed to get some work done. I talked to him yesterday and here is the progress. All the radiuses are finished. Both top and bottom clamp sections are done. Tonight he was planning on finishing up all the drilling and tapping on the mounting holes. After that is finished, He has a bit more material to take out off the top clamp and they should be finished enough for me to bolt up the tubes to get measurements for the front axle to be made. I will have a good bit of work left to do on the trips after I get them back. They will be in machined finish only and I want them POLISHED! Welp, guess I gotta get out the sander and the buffing wheels. It would be a shame to NOT polish them up. I will also have to drill some large diameter holes in the bottoms of the clamps for weight savings and also the fender mounting holes will need drilled and tapped. Speaking of Fenders, my new one FINALLY showed up. There was a problem with the Factory out in California. (or so he claims) It is here, all is good. I got a used rear fender from a Honda 450R, it is a bit beat up, but this will be the prototype that will get cut up and tested so no biggie. The price is also right...$25 What else....ahhh nothing really. No new pics except the fender. Here it is. Within the next week or so things should start rolling along quickly, so I will be posting up here quite a bit. Check back if ya want!

Derrick Adams
03-02-2006, 08:48 PM
Fender going to be close to the rear fender color?

sp1tekiller
03-02-2006, 09:06 PM
Man I cant wait to see this bad boy when its done! Keep it up!

SpeedBump
03-02-2006, 11:00 PM
Fender going to be close to the rear fender color?
No idea....Hopefully being separated far enough by the tank and rad shrouds, it will pass!

toyota200x
03-06-2006, 10:53 PM
keep us updated

SpeedBump
03-08-2006, 09:54 PM
GONNA EAT, will give info later

nouseforaname90
03-08-2006, 09:57 PM
Its looking great!
I don't know if you mentioned it in this thread already or not, but what swinger and tires are you slapping on the back of that thing?

Dusty
03-08-2006, 09:58 PM
awesome cant wait to see the rear end all together

Dusty
03-08-2006, 09:59 PM
hey nouse...how much you want for your R

Dusty
03-08-2006, 09:59 PM
hey nouse...how much you want for your R

BigGreenMachine
03-08-2006, 10:10 PM
Thats hot! Can't wait to see the rear end on it.

toyota200x
03-08-2006, 11:10 PM
Kinda looks like a fat cat. I am super impressed with the quality work.

SpeedBump
03-08-2006, 11:22 PM
and some more pics....
I got the clamps back today for another bit of test fitting. I also had to cut the pinch joints. I need to get my triple clamp bolt back, so I can actually get the frontend bolted on or at least in the exact position that it will be when completed. I need to get a steering stem bearing also. The fender fits nearly perfect. It has a bit of a 250R angle to it, but looks more like a 350X. Kinda different and exactly what I was shooting for. Don't want it to be the same as anything else out there. Once things are bolted up and not about to fall over like it is in these pics, I can get some measurements for the mounting holes for the fender. I am going to have to do something about the handlebar mounts. They are still going to be too low in stock form. I got him to drill the holes to mount it up at a 10deg angle, but it still isn't enough to let fork tube slide past the handlebars. Looks like a custom built 2" riser will do the trick. With the clamps tightened up I can finally get a measurement for the front axle too. Another custom built piece! I found a small issue that will be corrected NEXT build. THe lower clamp has the pinch bolts in the rear (top faces front) and when the bars are fully turned, the bolts are very close to hitting the aluminum radiators. Not good. It will be fine for now, but my next set of trips will have them facing out. It will give 1/4-1/2 inch more turn without doing any mods to the stops. Speaking of stops, I have to give him the final measurements of where they are going to be machined in. This may take a couple shots, because it will be easier to take a bit more off, then it will be to add some material BACK on! It looks like the turning angle will be less than I had expected or hoped. I may end up taking a good look at the radiators/shrouds and seeing it anything can be done to lay them back a bit...1/2 or so will help out a good bit with the turn. We'll see. Anyway, I am PUMPED up like a MoFo! This thing is on my mind all day long...thinkin bout how to do this or that, and what odds and ends it needs. Lots more than one would think needs fabricated in a conversion like this. Can't wait to get this one finished, then I can start looking for a nice CRF450R to convert. Here are a couple more pics. Tired and gotta hit the hay.

SpeedBump
03-08-2006, 11:25 PM
Don't mind the crappy mounting setup...best I could do for a quick look!!!

SpeedBump
03-08-2006, 11:26 PM
set of pics....later.

3Razors
03-08-2006, 11:51 PM
Looks very professional! Great job! Ever thought about making some $$$ and selling duplicates?

Aussieboy1
03-09-2006, 02:34 AM
Looks great mate.. How long until you'll finish the arse end ?

SpeedBump
03-09-2006, 07:39 AM
Looks great mate.. How long until you'll finish the arse end ?
Thanks for the nice words...

Hopefully, not too much longer. I haven't started on it yet, as the front needs to be fully complete so I can get the right ride height setup for the rear. This weekend I can move the stuff outta the crummy basement and back into the garage. The weather is finally starting to warm up, and I can kick the wife outta her parking space so I can have some room to work. I have all the materials for the swingarm, I just need to get things rolling. I am crossing my fingers here that the rest of the front end will go fast.

Looks very professional! Great job! Ever thought about making some $$$ and selling duplicates?

Funny you should ask. I have talked about doing this. What I may do is try to get a complete bolt on package together. If there would be interest, I guess I could sell a kit. It could be a set of Trips with handlebar clamps, a front axle (for either a 250R or 350X front hub) and a complete swingarm. Not sure how much work there will be in the subframe. I am going to try to use the original and just mod it, but more than likely, a new one will need built. If that is the case, then it would have to be included in the kit as well. No idea how much this kit would cost, but it would be kinda steep. The price of aluminum is way up right now.

I think THIS bike will be for sale not too long after I get it finished. I really want a 4 Stroke CRF450R conversion, so if I can get this one done and all the bugs worked out, it will be sold, and the next one will go on the chopping block!!!

Chevy200s
03-09-2006, 09:50 AM
I think THIS bike will be for sale not too long after I get it finished. I really want a 4 Stroke CRF450R conversion, so if I can get this one done and all the bugs worked out, it will be sold, and the next one will go on the chopping block!!!

That would be insane dude. A 450R trike...:drool: :drool: Very nice job so far, looks awesome

Mike_Ham_250R
03-09-2006, 11:52 AM
Looking good man!

Darius1502
03-09-2006, 01:23 PM
Damn cool!!

3Razors
03-09-2006, 01:38 PM
You are really onto something... When you think about it a kit would give everyone the option of having "new" 3 wheelers. Not having to worry about discountinued parts or high ebay prices. I know I would like to buy a set of triple clamps.

max
03-09-2006, 01:41 PM
:crazy: You must be crazy. You will FINALLY have a trike. A sweet one to say the least. Yeah, sell it,..... and be a trikeless turd again. If you plan on offing it atleast have something on hand before so. By the way, very nice project. I wasnt aware of your mechanical capabilities. You definately know what your doing here guy!! We will see ya soon here. April 29th baby!!!! goble goble.

sp1tekiller
03-09-2006, 03:06 PM
Those CRF450's like to eat intake valves. Make sure you are handy at tearing apart a thumper if you go that route.

3Razors
03-09-2006, 03:57 PM
Those CRF450's like to eat intake valves. Make sure you are handy at tearing apart a thumper if you go that route.

I also here that you are supposed to do a topend like every 30 hours or something on those?! I mean come on, whats the point of a four stroke if you have to give it even more $$$ and maintanence than a 2 stroke.

Aussieboy1
03-09-2006, 04:15 PM
There used to be a company is Australia back in the day based in Brisbane, which did a kit to make a 2 wheeler into a trike. But they didnt do the front end. I raced against a couple myself on my 250r's. One is still around in my home town ( Mildura) It was a 84 KX 250, it looked a little funny but went really well..

atctim
03-09-2006, 04:58 PM

From my experience and research, only the CRF250's have valve issues, the 450's are fine.

BTW - Awesome project!!!!!

sp1tekiller
03-09-2006, 06:28 PM
The 450 has them to, most significantly the '02 - '03.

SpeedBump
03-09-2006, 06:43 PM

I have heard of that issue as well. I am not so sure it actually happens all that much, but in the even it does, I can replace them with the TRX450R valves and topend parts for a bit less performance, but alot more durability.

BTW, I'm handy at tearing apart Thumpers AND 2Smokes!!! :w00t:

Again, thanks for the words of encouragement.

Max, gobble, gobble!!! Don't worry bout me and having a trike. I'll be fine. I am working on gettin me a nice 350X for a woods/trail/backup machine. I got time...chilllllll boi!!!

3Razors, After I get this all done, I will see how much $$$$ will be involved in it. The guy who is building these for me...with me providing all the info....is NOT getting things accomplished as fast as I would have expected. He is very busy with his Job, and family....I am not busting his ass about this....We all have priorities. My point to all of this...I will need to find somebody else to build them for me. I have another friend who is in the process of starting his own shop, but he is kinda tied up right now with his first major Client. http://www.gradall.com/home.html He should have things settled in and then he may be able to work with me on these side projects. If he doesn't work out. I have a couple more firends involved with machining. I'll keep my options open for sure.

PS, I sent you a PM to talk about $$$$$$

3leggeddog
03-09-2006, 07:16 PM
i don't think a 450 is a good idea.they got too much torqe,and would lift the front wheel too much.thus making it difficult to corner.they also do not spin the tire,or tires as easy,making the frint end plow/push even more.good in theroy,but i think it would hanle like crap.just my opion though,i'll ride whatever you build buddy!!!!!!!!1

3Razors
03-09-2006, 10:49 PM
Sounds good. I think the triple clamps have always been the main thing keeping people from pulling off these projects. If you could have sets ready to ship it would be more of a "slam dunk" for anyone interested.

toyota200x
03-11-2006, 12:45 PM
You are really onto something... When you think about it a kit would give everyone the option of having "new" 3 wheelers. Not having to worry about discountinued parts or high ebay prices. I know I would like to buy a set of triple clamps.

I was just thinking the other day "where are 3 wheelers going to be in 15 years?" I hope more people and maybe some shops start selling kits. Awesome project.

OZQUAD44
03-11-2006, 03:30 PM
i don't think a 450 is a good idea.they got too much torqe,and would lift the front wheel too much.thus making it difficult to corner.they also do not spin the tire,or tires as easy,making the frint end plow/push even more.good in theroy,but i think it would hanle like crap.just my opion though,i'll ride whatever you build buddy!!!!!!!!1

I'm not too sure I aggree with you 3leggeddog. By that reasoning your suggesting that four strokes don't corner as well as two strokes. Now that MIGHT be true on a weight to weight only argument but on a power delivery argument I think that is not quite right. I can tell you that my Tecate loves to spin its wheels VERY easily and I can also tell you I wish I had my YFZ motor in my Tecate every time I'm trying to negotiate any corner. Smooth power delivery only helps cornering. Yes it gives you more traction, but it also gives you a smoother power delivery. I hope your not suggesting that a CRF450 motor can't spin its wheels? I know my yfz450 spins its wheels when ever i feel like playing.
In no way am I trying to insult you I just don't really aggree with your last post
Cheers

3leggeddog
03-12-2006, 12:00 PM
well i am not implying that a 450 can't spin the tires.i just think with the tractable power,or smoothe power delivery,it will push the fornt more.with more tourqe,or traction,naturally the front end becomes light,causing it to push/plow.

with the 2 stroke power plant it will just spin,rather then hook up,and lift.i use the throttle,and the wheel spin alot when corning.

you may be right,it's just how i see it.

SpeedBump
03-13-2006, 11:21 PM
Got the front brakes nearly finished. This one started out way hard, but looks like it is gonna be one of the easier fabs. Ok, from the start of this project, the plan was to use as many of the CR parts as possible. I wanted the benefits of the newer tech. I was unsure about the front brake assy. I knew I wanted to use it, but couldn't see how it would work. Seemed completely different on the Motorcycle, but once I got into it, wow did it just seem simple. I bolted up the caliper, slipped the wheel with the stock rotor installed and holy crap, they lined up nearly perfect. I looked at it for a while, moved things here and there, checked and rechecked clearances, and was shocked to see it really was nearly perfect AS IS. Nearly isn't good enough so I started thinkin. Thinkin wasn't doing me any good, so I took the two rotors and tossed them down on the workbench and when I did, they landed right on top of each other in such a way as to make to take notice. The smaller diameter 350X rotor was laying under the larger R rotor and the mounting holes in the R rotor kinda looked like they lined up with the cooling grooves machined into the X rotor. I slid them around a bit, and and then grabbed a small rattail file. I gave the gooves a quick file to clean out the paint and a bit of crud and BAM! the two rotors bolted together PERFECT! Now, you may be wondering what good is that, but it gave me an idea. I could just bolt the stocker on the wheel hub, then bolt the R to IT. It also gave me a little bit of offset that was needed to get the wheel/tire lined up in between the forks a bit better. I did it, tried to put it in, and then realized the X rotor was getting in the way from being about 3/4 inch too large. I thought about cutting the center out of the X rotor, but decided NOT to ruin it, and opted for finding some nice aluminum and making an adapter that would be the same as the center section of the X rotor. I only needed it to be about the thickness of a rotor (1/8" or so) but then got to thinkin about that too. I didn't want to make it too weak to hold up to the punishment I was gonna be puttin this thing through. I settled on a piece of 1/4" thick plate aluminum and to make a long story short, cut, ground and knocked it out tonight. I DID mess up a wee bit. I wanted to get the bolt holes lined up differently, but got in a bit of a rush and kinda forgot to re-align them. (weather turning crappy again so wanted to get as much done as I could) It is finished enough to use now, but I will be putting it to the sander and buffing wheel before it gets put together for the final time. Here are a few pics of it mounted up on the forks. Later all.

SpeedBump
03-13-2006, 11:26 PM
Oh ya, BTW, from what I can tell, the R rotor WITH the aluminum adapter plate weighs LESS than the STOCK X rotor. Looking at it in the pics, really makes me upset. I am gonna have to make another one and get the bolts in a triangular pattern, that drives me nuts seeing them like that. If I make a new one, then I can also put in a few well placed holes for a more finished look. Being a smooth solid piece kinda makes it look "cheap"... Can't have that!!! :w00t:

Red Rider
03-14-2006, 04:27 AM
If I make a new one, then I can also put in a few well placed holes for a more finished look. Being a smooth solid piece kinda makes it look "cheap"... Can't have that!!! :w00t:I agree. Now I don't have to point that out to you! It's all looking good so far. I'm anxiously awaiting the outcome of this project.

Derrick Adams
03-14-2006, 06:31 AM
I need you to ship me the CR front axle. I'll get your spacers made up and send it all back to you!

toyota200x
03-16-2006, 01:58 PM
Awesome work.:beer

SpeedBump
03-16-2006, 07:45 PM
I need you to ship me the CR front axle. I'll get your spacers made up and send it all back to you!
Yo D, how long is that 350X axle? Tip to Tip.
Also, I talked to Mark and he said he could build the axle cheap, easy and VERY strong. I asked him how he woud go about doing it, and he said the new axle with the cut bushing at the threaded end sounds like the way he would do it. The stocker threaded in would work too, but then you will need TWO ends reworked. He thinks the new axle will be a more simple build. Gimme a call tonight. We'll talk. L8R

SpeedBump
03-18-2006, 08:55 PM
Updated pic of my front brake rotor adapter hub. Looks a bit different, eh? This is not the final version, but I think it will do for now. When I get some spare time later on, I will make a new one with the little bugs worked out.

nouseforaname90
03-18-2006, 08:56 PM
Looks awesome! Now get that dang thing done so I can see it! Lol.. j/k.. all good things take time!

88 Turbo Coupe
03-18-2006, 09:04 PM
You should have kept those Tigers. I bet you could have had one together by now with ALL those parts you had!

Derrick Adams
03-18-2006, 10:57 PM
All good things take time...BUT...

You better hurry the F up, or you'll never make TrikeFest!!!!

SpeedBump
03-18-2006, 11:51 PM
No worries Big D. It will be ok. Got plenty of time! LOL!!!!

As for the Tigers, well to be honest, I like to ride my stuff and if I were to have a Tiger 500 finished, guess what....IT WOULD BE AT Galion this summer racing Flat Track!!!! Can't do that with a rare piece of ATV History. Could you imagine rollin that thing? How would I ever repair, replace or even begin to find parts for the wear and tear it would endure? Nah, I will let the guys who will take care of them the RIGHT way handle that. Me? I will beat on em without any regard to the machine's feelings. :w00t:

88 Turbo Coupe
03-19-2006, 07:40 AM
Yea but a Tiger 500 quad would have been a killer machine!

SpeedBump
03-19-2006, 02:15 PM
Been out in the garage all day Saturday, and got up and hit it this morning at 9:30. Got a good bit accomplished. The trips are ready to go back to the machinist for the final cutting. Need to take 1/4" off the bottom and also cut away all the excess material except for the steering stops. Those were EXTREMELY difficult to get right. Can't take too much or they are shot. Put the clamps together, along with bearings and seals (need it to be exactly how it is going to be run) and then do some measurements......pull it all back apart, cut, grind and file some more.....put it all back together, measure...wash, rinse, repeat!!!! Whew! As it stands, I am leaving the VERY final cut for the machine so it is perfect looking as well as perfectly setup. I have come across a minor issue that will be addressed with the next set of clamps. The bottom clamp bolts NEED TO BE OUT FRONT to give some more turning radius. As it is now, it I go too far, the bolts will hit the radiators. I don't think the trike will turn nearly as sharply as I want, but that is ok for now. Prototypes are always able to be inproved on.

I am leaning strongly towards a steel swinger for now. I want to get it up and running, and I am not sure if I can get the aluminum finished quick enough. I can just buy an aftermarket Banshee swinger and then cut it up and custom fit it by myself and NOT have to depend on anyone else for welding. Once it is finished and works fine, I can send it off to get the aluminum one built from it but I will be able to get it back in a hurry if things are not working out with the new Aluminum one.

I was curious about how the plastics were going to fit, so I grabbed some old crappy 250R stuff that way laying round and started trimmin and cutting. The stock subframe JUST MAY WORK....That would be GREAT! Less modding, more time riding and "blingin stuff out" ! :w00t: Well, I gotta make a call or two, so I will leave ya with some pics. ****imagine there is a swingarm there!**** ;)

Billy Golightly
03-19-2006, 02:24 PM
Looking good!

200x Basket
03-19-2006, 02:35 PM
NICE!!! that makes me want one!!!

SpeedBump
03-19-2006, 03:18 PM
NICE!!! that makes me want one!!!

Let me get it all finished and Get yer $$$$ together!!!! :w00t:

200x Basket
03-19-2006, 03:33 PM
LOL, i would have to sell the 500r :)

brandosfiero
03-19-2006, 05:16 PM
i want one to.

ride_red_95
03-19-2006, 05:59 PM
thats freakin sweet

ride_red_95
03-19-2006, 06:00 PM
the swingarm isn't hooked up is it?

birddogg
03-20-2006, 11:07 PM
Hey Fed Ex, this is New Penn. That trike is gonna be sweet when you get it all together. I was gonna post up a pic of my new SDG killer but I think my camera is possesed so here's the link http://www.rcmxsports.com/

SpeedBump
03-21-2006, 01:22 AM
Cool beans...That lil Bike looks killer! That would be a great bike to build a 3 wheeler outta!!!! You should do it! LOL! C-Ya around town...L8R! SB.

toyota200x
03-21-2006, 09:51 PM
thats freakin sweet

Yes it is. WOW.

ride_red_95
03-21-2006, 10:54 PM
got any more pics when it's done video you riding it

SpeedBump
03-22-2006, 08:10 AM
I will for sure. :)

toyota200x
03-31-2006, 01:22 PM
Any updates?

adamcostello31
03-31-2006, 08:34 PM
cant wait to see it all done

SpeedBump
04-01-2006, 03:55 AM
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?p=346722#post346722

SpeedBump
04-02-2006, 11:13 PM
Another quick set of pics....getting some work done on the rear of this PITA! LOL!

SpeedBump
04-02-2006, 11:19 PM
I gonna toss in one of the fork tubes mounted up in the trips. Boy, they look SOOOO nice there.....

Oh ya, almost forgot...taking the front wheel hub in with the axle and gonna have the new axle spun down. This thing should be rolling VERY soon! :w00t:

I got the down tubes trimmed to fit into the cut-up original swingarm and now they need shorten to 13" end to end. When all welded up the swinger will be 24" in total lenght. That is about a +4 the way I am figuring. My T4 swinger is about 21" and the factory cr250 is right around 24 as well.

Before these parts get taken back to the welder....I gotta polish everything! Too hard to do it after it is all put together. This way, he has nice clean parts to work with, and I can get into the corners a bit easier and will only have to touch up and go over the welds. Can you say....BLING!!!??? Sorry, but I can't leave all this aluminum looking all crappy! Just wouldn't be right ya know!

Crap, forgot one more item getting some attention...the handlebar risers....Billet is getting cut in the next few day.....gonna be 3" risers so should be about 1" over the top of the fork tubes. I wanted a bit more room to play with up top!

BigGreenMachine
04-03-2006, 02:29 AM
SICK!! All I have to say about that.

toyota200x
04-03-2006, 07:20 PM
SICK!! All I have to say about that.

That is just amazing the amount of work you have put into this bike. I am truely impressed!

Yamahauler
04-03-2006, 07:27 PM
Wow, that thing looks fast just sittin still.
Great job!

crackshot
04-03-2006, 09:38 PM
Is there a reason why you would chop up a perfectly good CR dirt bike?
If you wanted a race trike, buy a 250R or something and mod the hell out of it.

3leggeddog
04-03-2006, 09:44 PM
well the cr makes 40-45 horse stock,thats 1 good reason.another is the newer suspinsion,with more travel,and better damping.aluminum framed.

and just flat out SIICK as hell are few other reasons!!

crackshot
04-03-2006, 09:51 PM
well the cr makes 40-45 horse stock,thats 1 good reason.another is the newer suspinsion,with more travel,and better damping.aluminum framed.

and just flat out SIICK as hell are few other reasons!!

Is that the 4 stroke CR motor?

SpeedBump
04-03-2006, 10:05 PM
Is there a reason why you would chop up a perfectly good CR dirt bike?
If you wanted a race trike, buy a 250R or something and mod the hell out of it.

Well, lets see if I can explain it for ya. How many CR250s are out there for sale on ANY given day? I can pull out the local Trader Paper and find about 10 within a 45min drive. I figured it is no great loss to "donate" this one or many. Now, before I actually agree that I "chopped up" a bike....Nothing except for the swingarm has actually been modified. You can pick up a used swinger on Ebay for under $100 all day long....go look. ;) The original triples are sitting on the table...I just pressed out the stem and built new ones. The frame is NOT being modified in the least bit. The seat MAY have to be cut up, but not sure just yet. Depends on my pal Derrick's choice of procedures. The subframe is remaining intact too, as I will be building a new one from scratch at some point. Mostly everything you see that ISN'T CR250 stuff, is either custom built, or brand new OEM/Aftermarket parts. The whole rear end can be bolted onto a Banshee...it is all aftermark Banshee Parts. No CR stuff back there. The front wheel...NOS 350X from Ebay. The front disc....nearly shot anyway....CR250, but NOT modified....a custom built spacer plate to mount on the 350X hub. Front Brakes....CR original...not modded. The rear....Brand New OEM Banshee. Plastics....New Maier Front 200X, rear....Used Honda 450R for the prototype and a New Maier 450R after all custom fitment is tested on the beater. (using Maier to get a better color match)

I could go on about EVERY little part I am using, modding, but the fact remains...this bike could be put back to its original version with about $100 investment and a days labor.

BTW, if you are getting bent outta shape about THIS one, JUST wait till you see my CRF450 I will be building AFTER this ones SELLS!!!!! I want a Thumper! As for buying a ATC250R and modding the hell outta it....still doubt it would work as well as this...(if it turns out like I hope it does)

Lastly, Brandon's words probably would have been enough, but I figured I would let ya in on the rest.

Again, like B said.....

and just flat out SIICK as hell

crackshot
04-04-2006, 12:29 PM
I don't see why you don't just transplant motor in frame.

200xcellent
04-04-2006, 12:43 PM
Does an atc have inverted forks? No. Does it have as much rear suspension travel? No. Do 250r's have beefy aluminum frames? No. Its not all about performance either. He wants something rare that he can say no one or very few others have. Why do you seem so against this?

3WheelsForever
04-10-2006, 10:13 PM
Hey Speedbump how much did the aluminum cost for your tripple trees. Im building a set for my 426 and Im curious what kind of aluminum and the dimensions of your tripple trees.

Darius1502
04-11-2006, 12:27 AM
I don't see why you don't just transplant motor in frame.

Maybe you just won't ever understand why most folks here think that this is the project to watch.

To each his own.

I think its awesome for all the reasons stated above.

Keep going speed bump!!

moose 53
04-11-2006, 02:01 AM
speed bump..... make sure you make your swingarm strong .I converted a 91 KTM 540 twostroke in to a tecate 3 wheeler. kept dirt bike suspension geometry and had to rebuild the swingarm once and modify it two more times be for it was right. the 3 wheeler axle and tires are way more load then the dirt bike tire. sure makes for a fun 3 wheeler when it`s right

SpeedBump
04-11-2006, 07:33 AM
Hey Speedbump how much did the aluminum cost for your tripple trees. Im building a set for my 426 and Im curious what kind of aluminum and the dimensions of your tripple trees.

6061 Billet.....around $100 for the stock. The dimensions are a bit harder to give.....also, you will have a complete diff setup for your Yamaha. You should just take your stock motorcycle trips, and they will use them for the measurements.

speed bump..... make sure you make your swingarm strong .I converted a 91 KTM 540 twostroke in to a tecate 3 wheeler. kept dirt bike suspension geometry and had to rebuild the swingarm once and modify it two more times be for it was right. the 3 wheeler axle and tires are way more load then the dirt bike tire. sure makes for a fun 3 wheeler when it`s right

Thanks for the advice. It WILL be strong...I don't like things breaking....not so much because of the loss of parts, time or money, but when they break, I usually end up in the dirt....holding some part of my body!!!! LOL!!!

85ytz250n
04-11-2006, 11:36 AM
Just wanted to drop my .02 in on this thing. I think you are doing a damn fine job, and are going to have a very unique and sick ride. I admire all the guys on here that get a basket case and then turn it into a mint machine again, but i admire you to. I am not saying that resto isnt a kick ass thing, I am just saying that taking one bike back to stock isnt near as interesting to me as taking 4 or 5 and making the whole deal look like it was produced by a factory. I wish you luck on your endever, and hopefully it will be what you expect it to be.

Keep the rubber side down.
Barry

Darius1502
04-11-2006, 12:46 PM

Whoa man...tell me about this projecT!!!!!!!!!

I have a '94 KTM 550!!

I won't convert it but would love to see yours!!

SpeedBump
04-18-2006, 10:07 PM
Couple pics of the swinger...got some progress. Tacked up and only need a few more cuts then off to the welder to get finished.

BTW, I had to polish the parts of the swinger first, too hard to do it after it is all welded up.

BigGreenMachine
04-18-2006, 10:22 PM
Jesum man that thing is going to be a wild one!! Staying that long on the swinger?

SpeedBump
04-18-2006, 10:34 PM
I think I am gonna stick with it as is. The lenght is 23" from the pivot bolt to the axle. I am afraid to go too short and have the thing too hard to keep the frontend down. It also will look dopey if I get it too short. I want to be able to get off the line real hard. After I get it all up and running, I will decide to keep it or shorten it up some. It will not be too hard to knock out an 1 or 2 if needed. Nice straight tubes to chop off.

Couple more pics.

Somekindofjerk
04-18-2006, 10:43 PM
Looks good, keep up the good work. The rotars and axle setup are incredible, just like irvsledman, yourlossmygain, and hondaatc185s200e said. And the forks are just plain beautiful!

BTW... Nice 70 you sold irvsledman. I helped him put the 70's topend on the 50's bottom end. Just wont start and run, only sputters and backfires. Probably a fouled plug...

SpeedBump
04-18-2006, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the nice words. You may want to check out the carb. I am assuming you used the larger one from the 70. I never had that one running, so it could be some issue with dirt of varnish buildup in the carb. Good luck with it.

Darius1502
04-19-2006, 12:57 AM
It looks awesome!

toyota200x
04-19-2006, 11:12 AM
Very nice work. When do you hope to have it rideable by?

MyMistress86R
04-19-2006, 05:06 PM
Hey Bump...that thing is as rockin as a night in the camper...lol.

3leggeddog
04-19-2006, 06:52 PM
hmm,that number should be 69,not 79!!!!,lol.

you know that honda commercial right.................

hey mister,i just wanna ride!!!!!!!!
i wanna ride,i wanna ride,i wanna ride

looks great craig,i can't wait to see it up close.only a few weeks left,you gonna make the deadline??!!

Red Rider
04-19-2006, 10:13 PM
It's coming along nicely Speedbump! I hope you plan some serious gussetting on that aluminum swingarm. I know a standard length arm can be very "twisty" under a load, and yours is looking quite a bit longer than standard.

SpeedBump
04-19-2006, 11:30 PM
It's coming along nicely Speedbump! I hope you plan some serious gussetting on that aluminum swingarm. I know a standard length arm can be very "twisty" under a load, and yours is looking quite a bit longer than standard.

It will have plenty of strength when it is done. I am taking things slowly with it....thinkin everything out....getting input from others BEFORE I screw things up. The guy welding it up is a certified welding instructor, and also a certified inspector. He works at WyoTech as the Welding Manager/Teacher. When all the students finish the course, HE is the one who give the state certifications and such. He has built, modified some of my friends swingers in the past , and he is one of those "ANAL" types. Has to be PERFECT! That is a good thing. Heck, he looked at the original mounting plates I cut out and didn't like them, so he took some of my aluminum stock with him to work, and cut me out some new ones...to HIS liking. More power to em, I say! LOL!

As for getting this thing up and ridable, not too far off. If I can ever get some time to work on it, I could have it up and running in a week or two. Only need the front axle turned, and the swinger all welded up. Got the rest of what I need....oops, You guys just reminded me, I didn't get my new pivot bearings!!! DUH!!! This weekend I'll pick em up! LOL! Later ALL!

travis712
04-19-2006, 11:43 PM
Thats amazing, can't wait to see it done.

adamcostello31
04-21-2006, 08:29 PM
have anymore pictures?

OZQUAD44
04-26-2006, 08:58 AM
Looking good mate, exellent work

Have you determined what the seat height will be? Bike seats are usually too high for a low center of gravity ATV because the sub frame is designed to clear the rear wheel on a bike. You mentioned that your mate was looking into a sub frame?

I think the 450R plastic is going to look awsome, that photo from the rear Rocks.

Derrick Adams
05-01-2006, 01:20 PM
Bump up for the stalled conversion

38 days till Trikefest!

Derrick Adams
05-01-2006, 03:26 PM
craig,lets get a side shot of the bike with the front,and rear on....please B

SpeedBump
05-01-2006, 07:19 PM
yah, yah, yah!! I'm workin on it! The swinger will be dropped off in the next couple days. Gotta get out to polish up the last pieces then drill 4 holes. I ordered up my new bearings today as well. Very soon, patience my pushy friends!!! :w00t:

3leggeddog
05-01-2006, 08:17 PM
if we don't push,you'll loaf it out till the end.you got 2 weeks before i drive out and hel you out!!!,lol

SpeedBump
05-01-2006, 10:19 PM
LMAO!!!! Come on out....you can help me polish the rest of the frame! Diry work, but somebody's got to do it, may as well be YOU!!! Really, if you guys wanna come out for a quick trip, I can hook ya up! Ride a bit, work on the machine a bit, drink some beer a bit! Lemme know. My T4 parts have been found....been lost in the system for a couple weeks. Should be here within the next couple days. I'll have it up and running shortly after that.

OZQUAD44
05-09-2006, 07:05 AM
We caaaannnn't see it yet? Where is it?? You wouldn't want to keep 8200 people waiting with baited breath would you?

I guess 3wheelin is alive and well eh guys ;-)

3leggeddog
05-09-2006, 08:21 PM
bump for a update!!!!!!!!

come on craig.it's getting close.you got the swinger welded yet? how about the axle? what can i do?

SpeedBump
05-09-2006, 09:54 PM
I am gonna keep yall guessin from here on in!

Shhhh!!!! Be Verwy, Verwy Quiet!

You can wait a bit more, I'm sure. No more pics until it is rolling under its OWN power. Patience is a Virtue!

OZQUAD44
05-10-2006, 05:08 AM
Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Virtue Smirtue...........

cough up wiv tha piccies man....

toyota200x
05-11-2006, 12:33 PM
Well can you at least give us a idea of how long we are going to be waiting. :D

SpeedBump
05-21-2006, 05:18 AM
Hey all, I just wanted to share a pic with ya. I told you I would not post up until it was rolling under its own power, but I figured an "AIR" picture would make you all happy. Welp, here it is, a pic of my new Project totally in the AIR!!!

edog
05-21-2006, 06:05 AM
Looking real good.

Billy Golightly
05-21-2006, 02:08 PM
Wow that thing is looking good in that last picture...gonna be done in time for TF?

350Xhilaration
05-21-2006, 05:51 PM
Well, I just took some video of it's first test ride about 45 minutes ago...:naughty:

It's pretty cool. :w00t:

I'll let him divulge any more details/pics/video.

Kintore
05-21-2006, 05:53 PM
Host that crap Rhuel!

C mon!

SpeedBump
05-21-2006, 10:40 PM
This is about the best I can do for now. I am just glad to have it this far along for TF. Not gonna be able to have the fenders done in time. I want to do it right, so not gonna rush it. Big D gave me a suggestion to shorten it up and tighen the turning radius. Gonna flop the axle around and see how it looks/feels. Should work out, but not a huge issue if it doesn't. The swinger is going back for the final welding and I will get everything all cleaned, tighened and lubed for Memorial Day Weekend. I plan on pounding on it for a few days to see how things will hold up. If I break it, I'll at least know what NOT to do @ TF with it. Nice new SST Pipe should be here in a few days. This one looks poopy and has multiple dents. Unacceptable. Well, anyway, enough reading, you want to see it....enjoy!!!! :w00t: :w00t:

Derrick Adams
05-22-2006, 05:41 AM
:w00t: Sweet Vid!:w00t:

Russell 350X
05-22-2006, 08:12 AM
Bump,that thing is awsome! Can't wait to see it when its all done!

SpeedBump
05-22-2006, 10:52 PM
Hey all, quick update. Flipped the front wheel around and seems to look ok. I guess I will get used to it. Didn't want to take any pics of it until I have the swinger back on and can see it rollling and be able to compare it to the original pics from Sunday. With the axle trailing, I will not be able to use the fork guards. What will stink is the front brake line MOUNTS to them, so I need to figure out a way to keep the line out of harms way. Here I go again....burning valueable brain cells. (I don't have may to spare! )

Another issue being flipped, the brake caliper is kinda goofy looking stickin out in the front of the fork tube. I should work fine (modern ATVs mount the front brake calipers in front too) so it will be just a matter of appearances. Can't have everything ya know.

Last issue.....the freakin TIRE is backwards too! Hate to pop it off until I am 100% sure this is the way it will be run.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words and I'll keep ya posted.

3leggeddog
05-23-2006, 05:31 AM
well craig,besides a black 86r,with a super stud for a pilot,that is the siickest trike ever,nice work bud!!!,lol

SpeedBump
05-23-2006, 05:35 AM
;) :cool: :cool:

SpeedBump
05-25-2006, 12:20 AM
Got the Swinger back this evening. Put in quite a few hours sanding and RE-polishing. Guess it turned out ok. Gonna get the new bearings installed and I'll have it mounted up and then snap some more pics later on.

SpeedBump
05-25-2006, 12:21 AM
Can't wait to see it outside, NOT under these crappy lights.

Red Rider
05-25-2006, 04:30 AM
Looking real good Speedbump! Truly a work of art, especially those welds. Now that it's all polished up & perty, we expect it to always be that shiny. Have fun with the upkeep. Oh yeah, one more thing: Some chrome valve cover caps would look killer on your valve stems. :w00t: :D

BigGreenMachine
05-27-2006, 04:05 PM
SICK! What song/band is that in the test ride video?

nouseforaname90
05-27-2006, 04:31 PM
Nice!!!!
And how did you get it that darn shiney? When I polish things, they never come out like chrome. There is always a small haze to it. How do you do it?

adamcostello31
05-27-2006, 06:20 PM
SICK! What song/band is that in the test ride video?

hoobastank - outta control

SpeedBump
05-27-2006, 11:55 PM
Welp, brother Rhuel came over this evening. Tossed a leg over the new toy for a little spin. Hard to ride with NO HANG GRIP and the tiny bike footpegs. Anyway, the videos are kinda hard to get a good look at, as it WAS nearly dark outside. I will get some more video before I get to TF with it...maybe. Later

SpeedBump
05-28-2006, 12:08 AM
broke em up so it may be easier to download for the slower connection guys. Oh, BTW, the guy rolling in down the ROAD is my older Brother on his Raptor. He came in from VA for a little riding. We'll go out tomorrow for a while. I'll see about takin the new R out for a while. Maybe I can work out some of the bugs. I will have to get my new footpegs on before I go, and also find some handgrips.

I got the shock tightened up and the front end turned around (the tire is STILL backwards, I know!! LOL ) Seems to sit better now, but still not the best in a tight turn. Oh well, guess ya can't have everything. It will work out. Here are a couple stills of it now.

SpeedBump
05-28-2006, 12:09 AM
few more.....Opps forgot one clip.

Kintore
05-28-2006, 12:11 AM
Looks sweet man! I cant wait to see it and hear it at TF.

Looks like she rips! :w00t:

hancadam
05-28-2006, 12:15 AM
That is so awesome. You did a really good job. How fast is it?

350Xhilaration
06-05-2006, 09:20 PM
It will be doing 65 MPH most of the way to Ohio tomorrow while strapped to the top of a popup camper.

Hope he doesn't hurt my camper :lol:

200x Basket
06-05-2006, 09:22 PM
i hope he does not find a low bridge!!

Fox250R
06-05-2006, 10:23 PM
Thats pretty kickass man!!! Will you add 250R fenders to it or just leave it as is??? Awesome job man!

SpeedBump
06-06-2006, 02:22 AM
.....still need to be done, but here it is. Seat, new MATCHING Maier Rear Fenders and a new clutch perch/cable. (just broke tonight!!! :rolleyes: )

Derrick, I couldn't resist....wanted to keep it under raps until tomorrow, but I am just busting to show it off!!!!! C-Ya in a later today!!!!!

200x Basket
06-06-2006, 02:48 AM
that is sharp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Russell 350X
06-06-2006, 10:07 AM
Holy crap that thing is awsome! You did a awsome job on that beast, gonna get any vids of it at TF?

TheGreg
06-06-2006, 11:30 AM
holly balls that is a nice machine! exactly what i picture trikes would look like if they were being manufactured today! EXCELLENT JOB! you should show that one to honda!

Ndog
06-06-2006, 11:48 AM
Sweet dude. I saw the video you posted and it look pretty mean. The snappines and acceleration of the CR250 on trike with all the extra clearance and travel...crazy! I have an 85 R and just have so much for fun on it than my dirtbikes and quads. There is just something fun about trikes.

Anyway, I have a 2000 Cr250 and was wondering what it ended up costing you to do this conversion. I realize you ran into problems along the way that upped cost, but just an estimate on what I would be looking at. I really want to do this.

Thanks, Ndog

200xcellent
06-06-2006, 11:53 AM
That is slick bump! Cant wait to ride it!!!!!!!!

Enigma
06-06-2006, 11:58 AM
Looks very good. When are you gonna start taking orders? Put me down for one.:p

cragster
06-06-2006, 01:22 PM
WOW that is soo nice! Are you going to make kits to do this conversion?
That looks awesome!!! What rear fenders are those?

85hondaatc125m
06-06-2006, 02:21 PM
all I can say is awsome...speechless
Make sure you still have it in 5 years, that is when i will be at trikefest.

AZ250R
06-06-2006, 02:40 PM
Aaaahhhh, the June Centerfold of Trike Porn!!!

Most excellent creation for sure.:beer

hondaracer11
06-06-2006, 06:37 PM
that trike rules i deffinetly think you should send pics to honda. great job speedbump

BigGreenMachine
06-06-2006, 07:00 PM
Sweet, I'll take mine green please. Man thats sick, do you figure the cost would be worth selling kits?

scooterroo
06-06-2006, 08:48 PM
damn makes me wanna do a project like that, but with a suzuki rm250, that wold be cool. a suzuki 250 2 stroke trike, hmmmmmm.

ChrisD
06-06-2006, 09:01 PM
That is amazing. Great job. I bet it's a beast too. Sweet!!!

dovesprings250R
06-06-2006, 10:25 PM
Looks like it will just rip!!!!!! Very nice job indeed. have you thought about a slightly wider seat for it?

Preddy05
06-06-2006, 11:19 PM
Think i seen you goin down the road today i was commin home from indiana (work) and seen it on top of a popup or something....atleast i think it was you. Was a long day at work but looked like it. Looks great.

350Xhilaration
06-07-2006, 12:14 AM
Yeah, he had it strapped to the top of my camper. He is probably in Ohio and settled in about now.

I guess you aren't heading to haspin this time around?

Preddy05
06-07-2006, 12:44 PM
I would of loved to go but i can't take that much time off work. maybe next year if i ever get some of my bills payed off. That bike looks great looks so new! lol

toyota200x
06-08-2006, 10:03 PM
That is the nicest "atc 250r" I have ever seen. It looks so professional it would fool most people into thinking that Honda has a new model.

Kintore
06-11-2006, 08:18 PM
That thing simply rip EH. I cant beleive it! Loud as hell though, just means more power right Craig?

Git it Rag!

atc250r18
06-12-2006, 07:20 PM
Hey man when are you and your buddy going to make a few sets of those tripple trees to sell. You could get a couple hun a set for them. I know I want a set for my 450

SpeedBump
06-14-2006, 07:10 PM
I'm not sure about a kit. I guess with this swinger, I could send it out to use the measurements to build them, and the trips too. I'll think about it, and check with a couple guys to see how much $$$ I would be able to make. (if the profit is worth the time invested)

The other thing is...do I REALLY want a bunch of these conversions running around? I like the uniqueness, and if I sell kits, there will be OTHERS out there. Not sure if I like that! LOL!!!! Yes, selfish, I am!

crd00
06-14-2006, 07:19 PM
I'm the same way lol, its better to have something unique that someone else doesnt have, so its better not to sell the kits to anyone

BigGreenMachine
06-14-2006, 10:34 PM
That just means more fun when I build my own! lol

Props on a sweet trike!