PDA

View Full Version : How do you properly paint metals?

85 250sx
01-16-2006, 03:06 PM
well im all set and ready to start painting, now i just need to learn how to do it.
i have a 20 gal. air compressor a sand blaster and a paint spray gun. I already bought the paint so hopefully its the right kind, its Massey Furgeson (sp) tractor and farm equipment paint. i bought it thinking it might a little harder and hold up a little better since its for tractors and farm equipment. i also bought a can of bottel spray sandable primer and some enamle hardener witch im guessing is some kind of clear coat?

for the sand blater can i just use regular Masonry sand/ beach sand? if so that would be great since i can get it for free.

bigredhead
01-16-2006, 03:09 PM
depends on what you want to pain.. gas tank .. frame ... racks... etc...

In most cases. powder coat is the way to go for any part that will get abuse... gas tanks can be done with automotive paint.... and a clear.. other parts like levers should be anodized ( for aluminum parts ) .. so it depends on the application.

85 250sx
01-16-2006, 04:12 PM
well im going to try and paint my frame, handle bars,footpegs, footbrake, shifter lever , brake calipers and other misc. parts. and im going with piant and not powdercoat since i already have a paint gun and paint and not a powercoat gun or powder or an old oven pluse i dont want to pay someome one do somthing when i can just paint it myself.

well i took a closer look at the enamel hardener bottle and it says your supose to mix it in with the piant so its deffinatly not a clear coat.

85 250sx
01-16-2006, 08:53 PM
any tips? i wana try and battle this tomarrow.

bigredhead
01-16-2006, 11:42 PM
Make sure all the surfaces you work on are 100 % clean and rust free.. before you spray, wipe down the parts with acetone / methyl hydrate / rubbing alcohol.. whatever quick evaporating solvent you have to remove any finger prints and oil/dirt/grime.

Multiple light coats are better than fewer thick ones.. even if you miss some spots on the first coat.. don't worry bout it.. get it on the 2nd one.. it will turn out better this way.

A primer may be a good idea depending on the paint you use..

If you are working outside.. make sure it's not a windy day, spray paint carries with wind and you don't want overspray on everything within 20 feet.

Wear gloves and a mask.

1985 200s
01-17-2006, 08:47 AM
Enamel hardner, as far as I know, is to be mixed with paint to make it harder but I'm not sure you can mix it with just any paint. Priming is a must on bare metal it helps with adhesion properties of the paint. Also a light sanding with 400 or 600 grit between coats helps the paint adhere to itself then wipe it down again with a cleaner.