PDA

View Full Version : Check out this old Rupp Nitro I scored.

Jason Hall
01-18-2006, 05:24 PM
This sled was sitting In one of the bays of my local cycle shop. I asked whats up with the old nitro, they said it might be for sale. I got a call the following day that I could buy it. So I did, this baby is in great shape for the year & rocket ship fast. It has a liquid cooled Xeonah engine in it. It has 1200 miles & the track is like brand new. They made these things for 3 years 76-77-78. This one is a 77 & man I love it :w00t:

nate b
01-18-2006, 07:15 PM
gotta love the rupps. I had a few of those when I was younger.
saw a couple bad ass ones last weekend at the ice drags.

Trikeaholic
01-18-2006, 09:11 PM
that rocks. I love the vintage stuff!

hrc85250r
01-21-2006, 01:48 AM
thats pretty badass, just throw a windshield on her and she'll look like new....if you dont mind me asking how much $ for one of them....

Jason Hall
01-21-2006, 10:05 AM
The windshields on these ones are real high & kinda goofy looking. I think It looks better without it. That big windshield slows you down big time when your drag racin :beer. My SRX windshield bends in at about 80 MPH :w00t:. I paid 400.00 for the Rupp. The thing I like about the motor in the Rupp is it's got REEDS. My old Yamaha's don't have reeds. Reeds means more HP :naughty: .

Chevy200s
01-22-2006, 11:53 PM
dude, thats a nice deal you got there. a friend of mine used to have one of those and your right, they haul. hows the track and suspension look? are you thinking of studding the track or is it studded? again, nice sled:w00t:

PowerTrike
01-23-2006, 12:14 AM
Agreed. Good deal. They really are sweet, quick sleds.

Jason Hall
01-23-2006, 09:51 AM
I am lucky to have got such a good deal on it. If I would have waited another 3 hours someone else would have owned her. The track is like brand new, the previous owner must have kept it off the ground when they stored it. I will stud it for sure, it would be a huge waist to just let er spin. Now we just need some cold weather to make some ice. I think it's getting to late for ice racin this year :wondering. We have open water in mid michigan what a bummer.

MTS
01-23-2006, 02:31 PM
I am lucky to have got such a good deal on it. If I would have waited another 3 hours someone else would have owned her. The track is like brand new, the previous owner must have kept it off the ground when they stored it. I will stud it for sure, it would be a huge waist to just let er spin. Now we just need some cold weather to make some ice. I think it's getting to late for ice racin this year :wondering. We have open water in mid michigan what a bummer.
Dang, we have allredy been ridin the river n everythin out here this winter, just no snow!!...Ice race's soon too...hehe..

200xcellent
01-23-2006, 03:57 PM
Good score Jason. How far north of the Ohio border has good snowmobiling right now? Me and some buddies are supposed to take a trip to your state up north this coming weekend but I dont want to have to drive 8 hours.

Jason Hall
01-25-2006, 11:26 AM
Your best bet is probly Gaylord. Yea that sounds queer, but that is the name of the town. It's snowmobile heaven in lower michigan, lots of trails. It's quite a drive though, It's probly 4-hrs from my house. I live 3 hrs from Gallion.

200xcellent
01-25-2006, 01:00 PM
Funny that you say Gaylord because that is where we are going! Do you live above the ohio border or the Indiana border? The guy who is heading up the trip thought it would only be a 5 hour drive from Marion.

Jason Hall
01-25-2006, 07:26 PM
I am to the western side thats why it's 4 hours from here. I am above the indiana border.

700srx
02-11-2006, 05:42 PM
Nice sled Jason,
Our family has had at least one of these sleds since new in 1976. Dad still has a nice 340, as well as one or two parts machines.

Be wary of studding that track, even as nice as it looks. It is still an old track, and replacement tracks are not being made - I believe the tooling is broke. It is an oddball track in width, drive sprocket spacing and sliderail spacing. Also, the 440's were known to overpower the drive sprockets and they would "ratchet" in the track, which can damage the internal drive lugs - just FYI...

They are fun and fast sleds, I never lost an impromtu race on our 440 back in the early 80's.

Jason Hall
02-11-2006, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the info :beer , I will keep that in mind. No matter what I will have to stud it. It would break my heart to just spinn like a big dog.

PowerTrike
02-14-2006, 02:49 AM
Your best bet is probly Gaylord. Yea that sounds queer, but that is the name of the town. It's snowmobile heaven in lower michigan, lots of trails.

LOL We have a town named "Gaylord" here in MN too. Good riding there also!
Good luck with the Nitro!

Sqirtster
06-20-2006, 01:45 AM
Thanks for the info :beer , I will keep that in mind. No matter what I will have to stud it. It would break my heart to just spinn like a big dog.

...And when the track goes "RIIIIIIPPPPP" I'll just sail around the place on my slower sled laughing because it wasn't enough for you to have an extremely beautiful and nostalgic sled, you had to be as cool as a 15 year old with a rich dad trying to impress everyone. Do yourself the favor and buy a new sled to get stupid with and just keep the rupp around to enjoy for what it is. Why is it so rare and nice? 'Cause the previous owner didn't have to prove anything to anyone. That's my rant, but you own it. You decide....

G-Ram
10-29-2006, 05:23 PM
that sled is sweet...i know a guy that has a room full of old rupp's and scorpian's, probably a dozen, maybe more...he's got about 6 more in his backyard in crates, and a pile of old polaris parts and 5 polaris triple FA race motors from the '70's under a big lean-to. If anyone needs some sled parts, pm me lol