PDA

View Full Version : New computer! **UPDATE 2-20-2006**

ATC crazy
01-19-2006, 12:48 PM
And it's about damn time too! My dad's laptop that Im on now doesnt have the power to run AutoCAD and Inventor 10 (especially in 3D), plus, dad uses this for work so its not here half the time when I need to do my work. So, we ordered this the other night:

Its a Dell XPS-600

Processor: Pentium® 4 Processor 650 with HT Technology (3.40GHz, 800 FSB). Windows XP Professional

Memory: 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM

Monitor: 19 inch Ultrasharp™ 1905FP Digital Flat Panel

Video Card: 256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) nVidia GeForce 6800 (shoulda got a 512...but Im on a budget with this one. I'll upgrade to the 1GB someday soon.)

Hard Drive: 160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/ Native Command Queuing

Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 48x CD-RW Drive

Sound Card: Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeMusic (D), w/Dolby® Digital 5.1 (again...I will be upgrading someday soon.)

3Yr Ltd Warr, At-Home Svc, 30 Day DOC, PC Training, 2Yr Antivirus Suite
XPS Specialized Support Dimension XPS, Specialized Support

Maine_Triker
01-19-2006, 01:00 PM
Sweet man!!!!!!!

I can't imagine what someone would do with a 1GB Video card though lol...

I myself am currently shopping for a laptop... probably going to go with the Alienware Aurora m7700.

Phil

edog
01-19-2006, 01:47 PM
Dude,i'm fixing another Dell.LOL

firehart
01-19-2006, 03:14 PM
I'm jealous. I'm still running my old HP that I got from the big unnamed superstore about five years ago.

Wayne

Tri-ZNate
01-19-2006, 05:09 PM
3.4 gHz and 2 Gig of ram outta do nicely for auto cadd :lol: Sounds like a sweet computer.

ATC crazy
01-26-2006, 04:36 PM
*UPDATE*

Ok...it finally came today, but there were some problems along the way:

To quote myself from another forum:

Dell screwed up my order.

Yup. They are sending me a Pentium D processor (dual-core) @ 2.8GHz, a 250GB hard-drive, dual DVD/DVD-RW drives, wireless keyboard and mouse, and a 5.1 surround sound speaker system with a subwoofer (which sucks...I already have a stereo in my room, so this will just make everything more cluttered in there).

But, when I looked up the price...this package is $2825. $425 more than the one I ordered. We will NOT be paying them any more than the origional $2400.

__________________________________________________ _______________

Anyways...it's still in the box right now. I need to get all the pictures off the old POS and trash it (shoot it) to make room for the new one.

Anyone know what cable I would need to hook this up to my stereo receiver?...if I can.

ATC crazy
01-26-2006, 07:52 PM
Well...Im on it now and all I can say is WOW! The tower on this thing is HUGE!! :eek: Its the size of some servers. And its like looking at a big screen TV compared to any other computers I have been on. A True 19" flatpanel....

Im amazed so far!

Tri-ZNate
01-26-2006, 08:18 PM
gonna post a pic :naughty:?

OldSchoolin86
01-26-2006, 08:38 PM
$2400!!!!! Holy crap!

Maine_Triker
01-27-2006, 12:14 PM
Cool... you get a dual core processor and a bigger hard drive.. nothing wrong with that :D

After you shoot your old system... post some pics of it so I can lmao.

And I think you should be able to pick up a special cable or something to connect the sound card to your stereo... (seems like I read that somewhere)

Phil

ATC crazy
01-27-2006, 03:52 PM
I will work on the pics....no digital camera, so I will have to wait and get it developed on a CD.

I also need to go to Radio Shack to get a cable and adapter IF I want to run it on my current stereo. I could just use the surround sound that came with the computer....but I dunno yet.

DeePa
01-27-2006, 10:29 PM
Cool... you get a dual core processor and a bigger hard drive.. nothing wrong with that :D

After you shoot your old system... post some pics of it so I can lmao.

And I think you should be able to pick up a special cable or something to connect the sound card to your stereo... (seems like I read that somewhere)

Phil

you need the line out cable with 2 rca plugs if im thinking correctly...put the stero on aux and play music from the comp on the stero.

or youre talking about playing the stero on teh computer, then you need the line in cables...

i dunno hope this helps...im beat

Billy Golightly
01-27-2006, 10:45 PM
I'm running a line out into my stereo and then into 2 200watt 3 way speakers i have setting on my desk. I went to a dozen different electronic shops and could not find a mini audio plug (Back of the computer) to a left and right channel RCA plugs on the other end. I ended up having to make one...

ATC crazy
01-28-2006, 12:03 PM
Yeah, I want to listen to whats on the computer through my stereo. Im kinda having second thoughts about it though...because right now, I am listening to a CD on my stereo...and thats what I always have done. So if the computer was hooked up to it, then I would have to pause the CD, switch to AUX, and then go back to the CD. Now Im thinking of just using the computer speakers so all I would have to do is pause the CD....

Maine_Triker
01-28-2006, 07:05 PM
Yeah, I want to listen to whats on the computer through my stereo. Im kinda having second thoughts about it though...because right now, I am listening to a CD on my stereo...and thats what I always have done. So if the computer was hooked up to it, then I would have to pause the CD, switch to AUX, and then go back to the CD. Now Im thinking of just using the computer speakers so all I would have to do is pause the CD....
Or you could just play the CD in your computer and not have to worry about ever touching the stereo and just control everthing from the computer.

ATC crazy
02-20-2006, 03:56 PM
I cant believe how big the tower was when I opened up the box! The thing is 21 inches tall!

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f25/Crazy-ATC/Computer.jpg