PDA

View Full Version : Question about ethanol injection

LonesomeTriZ
01-19-2006, 08:11 PM
I find myself in cold areas a lot with no place to plug in my block heater. Especially when I take the ATV’s out over night. I carry a can of starting fluid but I really hate to use it because I can never get the right amount. I either spay too much and the engine sounds like it is going to explode or I can not jump back in my truck in time to get it started. Is there a way I can hook up a system that will regulate the amount sprayed into my engine or any thing that will fit my 350 at all for that matter? I thought about drilling and tapping a fitting into my intake, but I am right back to the spray can again. I would love to here any suggestions at all.

bigredhead
01-19-2006, 08:36 PM
Running a line from a can inside the cab to the motor might not be a great idea, fire wise...

But if you have a good battery in your truck and have the choke setup correctly it should not be a problem in even minus double digit colds...

I wonder if it would be possible to run a battery pack in the truck bed and run a block heater on a timer using the battery.. just charge when at home... it would be heavy tho.. at least 100 lbs of lead acid..

LonesomeTriZ
01-19-2006, 08:41 PM
I meant spraying directly into my intake instead of my air filter. I though about getting a deep cycle battery and doing something similar, but I think the exspense would be more than an injection system of some kind.

Billy Golightly
01-19-2006, 08:42 PM
Are your glow plugs working good? Let it cycle completely through and if it doesnt crank in a couple turns then stop, turn the ignition off. turn it back on and let it cycle again. It should crank if they are in good shape unless your in like 40 below or something.

LonesomeTriZ
01-19-2006, 09:19 PM
That is what I usually do. But it takes a long time for it to finally work. by then my starter is so hot I am affraid it will fail.

wheelie king
01-21-2006, 01:22 AM
Louis, sounds like your glows are weak or bad. I had this problem on my old Mercedes, the damn things would not start if it was much below 60 degrees. Would crank strong and long, but as you said, that can smoke a starter and kill a battery. I am definitely not a diesel guru, but on my old Benz, a set of new glow plugs did the trick. :)

Billy Golightly
01-21-2006, 02:03 AM
We had alot of problems on my dads 94 Ford, the glow plugs themselves are okay but the coil apparatus (I'm alot better with tehcnical *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* relating to trikes haha) that made the glow plugs charge and heat up was actually bad, or something related to it. We never could really figure it out.

wheelie king
01-21-2006, 10:17 AM
A weak coil pack is entirely possible too, but less likely in my opinion. Again, just my opinion. If I were some great diesel mechanic, I would quit my "pest control" job!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

LonesomeTriZ
01-23-2006, 12:18 PM
If I were some great diesel mechanic, I would quit my "pest control" job!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now that is funny.

I did some research and both of you are correct. If it is not the glow plugs, it is the glow plug relay. I did not know starting fluid and glow plugs were a very not good mix. I know, I might be a little :crazy: but oh well, you live and learn. now I am trying to figure out how to test thost items.

wheelie king
01-23-2006, 01:06 PM
You were prolly doing more harm than good with the starter fluid trick, but I did not say anything, seeing as how you had already done it. No use crying over spilled milk, I figured!

Let us know what happens

LonesomeTriZ
01-23-2006, 01:25 PM
I though because I have ran equipment before that required starting fluid it was was okay to use it in my Powerstroke. I did not realize the equipment I had to use it on before simply did not have glow plugs at all and required starting fluid or ethinol to start. Little things like that are good to know.