PDA

View Full Version : artic cat sleds w/ rotary motors?

trainingwheeler
01-21-2006, 07:55 PM
anyone know about these ? they were in some early 70's artic cats . it sounds cool rotary motors always kinda intrigued me

sandpuppi101
01-22-2006, 11:46 AM
I know a little bit about them,They were called wankel motors- I remember back in the mid 80's ,I worked on one in one of my mechanic classes back in school.Yes,it is a rotary motor-the piston is kinda like a triangle and the cylinder is a big oval with 3 sections,1 is exhaust -another was an intake -and the last being a compression.The motors were in the courgars and the panthers I believe! The downfall of the motors if memory serves me was the cylinder wore out of round and seals went bad,and also the lack of tech to work on them.They were supposed to have lots of tourqe power but no major speed! I just saw a '72 panther last week with a 292 wankel,it was pretty cool!!!

350x'inNY
01-22-2006, 01:17 PM
anyone know about these ? they were in some early 70's artic cats . it sounds cool rotary motors always kinda intrigued me

Our 1972 Panther 303 had the rotary motor. It sounds completely different than a typical snowmobile. My Dad gave it to my brother-in-law before he died when I was living out of state. It just sits up there with a tarp over it. I wanted to get it running and they didn't let me. I did pick up a spare motor though, just incase I ever get my hands on it again!

It did have tons of torque, and it would just keep winding out on rpm's. Ours had a speedo on it... best I ever got it up to was like 40-45mph.

Bruce

RedRider_AK
04-19-2006, 05:27 PM
They're probably good for the hunter-type people who don't need to drive fast, but need to pull a sled with 3 moose in it. :)

Chevy200s
04-19-2006, 07:36 PM
haha, funny you should mention, I just recently got ride of one of those to a friend of mine. I had a 72 Panther that I didnt have the time to get running, and wasnt too attached to it so I traded it for another sled. I tracked down my dads old 72 Ski Doo Elan, was his very first sled at about age 14 or so, traded the cat for that, now we got the elan in our barn:cool: the panther was definitly an interesting snowmobile though

G-Ram
10-13-2006, 10:01 AM
my friend has one, definately does not sound like a regular snowmachine...they really wind out, seems like they could rev forever...