PDA

View Full Version : 500r goodies

gasmask
01-23-2006, 04:50 PM
here are some parts i had polished for the atc 500. hopefully i can transform it to a work of art. Dave Moore is building me a 12" swingarm. now i need everyone's help. i'm looking for someone to port my cylinder {drag port}. any recommendation!just bought is drag axle from DTR racing {MATT}....i found a 44mm lectron carb for alky and it brand new...well i got my cylinder back now i have to wait on FTZ racing 2 send my cylinder head back.Dave Moore has finished my swingarm and wheelie bar.

200x Basket
01-23-2006, 05:57 PM
man it is good to see my old frame is still kicking. have you had any trouble with it? I am about to build another and could use the input.

I just bought a +6" swinger and there is a +10" on ebay right now

gasmask
01-23-2006, 07:24 PM
yes 1 problem. right in front of the left side foot peg the frame broke. i had it rewelded and weld a thin plate across the bottom...no more problem...when it did brake i found someone who had another atc 500 frame and i bought it. it in the shed now. i might bulid another just for fun. i friend is saleing my a 91 cr 500 for $450.00... he just had the cylinder bored and now he wants a banshee...i just sold a bunch of cr part to get this bike...well worth it.....these other part i just had powder coated and polished. now the motor is complete with an 1-3 override transmission, ported and polished, cylinder head rechambered and milled. the motor on the left is the new one. the right one is an 85/91 cr 500.swingarm is with a light weight drag axle. i need to send the frame to be powder coated along with some little stuff.

Derrick Adams
01-23-2006, 08:28 PM
Talk to Jason Hall on the boards, here. He has done a couple cylinders for us and does very good work. I know you'll be satisfied with your cylinder when he's done with it!

cr500=3wheeler
01-23-2006, 09:01 PM
here are a couple of ppl thats make good things happen with big single cylinders im sure there are a lot more
www.ohtonracing.com
www.packardracing.com

gasmask
05-25-2006, 07:17 PM
here's the 12" swingarm w/drag light weight axle,36 tooth rear sprocket and brake rotor. the frame was sand blasted yesterday and primed. if the weather holds up i will paint saturday...painted the frame today. only one coat so far. hopefully i can add one more 2morrow. desided to paint instead of power coating because the guy wanted $275.00 to 325.00...sand blasting was free and already had 3 cans of honda red...

atcsteve
05-25-2006, 07:43 PM
why would you need a wheelie bar,with a 12' ext. swingarm? It looks cool,fun project.

gasmask
05-25-2006, 07:50 PM
serious drag racing.

Trike Dude
05-25-2006, 08:09 PM
Why not just have FTZ do the porting?

Billy Golightly
05-25-2006, 08:09 PM
Those are some nice parts Ralph! I like that swingarm and axle. Gonna have to pickup one of those for mine sometime.

gasmask
05-25-2006, 09:06 PM
Why not just have FTZ do the porting?
well i had the porting done by a friend on everything 2 stroke. FTZ wanted $450.00 and $75.00 for the head..

Trike Dude
05-26-2006, 12:39 AM
well i had the porting done by a friend on everything 2 stroke. FTZ wanted $450.00 and $75.00 for the head..

$450 sounds awefully high. I believe two stroke porting(at least 250R, cant see much difference in a 500) has always been $250 plus the head. If your jug is still there I'd give Andy a call and ask him again.

gasmask
05-26-2006, 09:54 PM
the cylinder is already drag ported and only paid $150.00 v/s $450.00.

03 ORANGE SHEE
05-26-2006, 10:31 PM
she outa be bad a@@ when its finished

gasmask
05-31-2006, 09:13 PM
it's going together slowly but it all good tho. found my old front wheel axle so now i need a rear shock so i can send the other to TCS for them to service it... who has a rear shock w/res. really need a shock. don't need shoch now found my 2... pictures with wheelie bar

gasmask
06-17-2006, 10:41 AM
here it is with the rear suspension with an adjustable dog bone, front and rear caliber and radiators. i believe radiator will give me a problem later on but i uses lictite. i ordered one of those atc 250r bolt kit of ebay and i love it...

hrc85250r
06-17-2006, 12:48 PM
um, i dont know who proted your cylinder for 150$, but its either a good friend or someone that just hogged out your cylinder. to proerly port your cylinder there is a crapload of math and work that goes into it, to properly do a cylinder it would take around 5-6 hours, and if you think that 400$ is steep, wait until someone that paid that much smokes you. no professional engine builders charge less than 250$ minumum and 350$ for a really reputable one.

gasmask
06-17-2006, 02:25 PM
well it's not always the cost that wins the race. this guy who did my cylinder was recommend by 8 or 9 guy's from other site who only deal with him...i always do my homework when i need something done...to me $400.00 for cylinder work and $120.00 for the head is steep to me... my first cr 500 cylinder was ported by eric gorr and only charged $175.00 and that was with the head mod also. i have no complaints with his work. motor run great and i tore a few banshee's a need do do hole so i'm happy and thats what count...

hrc85250r
06-17-2006, 03:03 PM
i always look at eric gorr's work as just about as quality as ESR. its generic, it uses templates and is pre-calculated. if i want a REAL port job and head done, common sense tells me that 120$ vs. 400$ there is something missing in the 120$ jobbie.

Yamaha Tri-Moto
06-17-2006, 06:58 PM
That thing looks awesome, cant wait to see it done. Looks like a pretty fun project by the way.

Billy Golightly
06-17-2006, 08:03 PM
Some guys get way more out of the box with their design and implementation then others though. You might get one shop that calls enlarging the intake and raising the height of the exhaust port, a port job. Then you might have another one that changes the intake to a crankcase scavenging setup, bevels every corner and edge in the engine, epoxies the boost ports in the intake, reshapes the transfers, does away with the exhaust bridge, ect. ect.

That doesnt necessarily mean that they will charge an arm and a leg for it though. Either way anything is an improvement over a stock cylinder IMO. Nice going Ralph...you'll have to let me know sometime when you are running and where its at. Might have to get some asphalt tires for my 500 and break it out :)

RideRed250R
06-18-2006, 12:25 AM
LOL, gasmask and i go a ways back (he might not realize who iam) but gas knows his *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited*, knows who to build it, how it should be built and how fast it will be HRC i dont see a atc500R in your sig, nor a bike of this quality come rollin out of your garage? ya the price is funky, but i have had old school Factory Mechanics from the 80's port freinds cylinders for 150, its not always about money, yet about the joy that comes from it.... The ones that charge the ass raping prices are the people who are in it for money, not the sport, look at dave moores prices for porting!!! 35 bucks for piston windowing, around 2 bills to port, its the peopel who are in the garages workin from home, testing tuning, and running the EXACT product they sell are the ones i bring business to... as for the comment of ESR, By the way of Generic, you mean PROVEN and tested, well yes.... Eddies bikes always run eddies PUBLICLY sold ports, and parts, every bike Eddie puts out like his TRX520, 370PV have everything you could order monday.... before you shoot out comments back them up.... RIDICULOUS
Adam

3WheelsOva4
06-18-2006, 09:29 AM
Looks good man, I was thinking about doing something with my Honda 110. But its not running right now and I don't know what I did. I cleaned the carburator and then it wouldnt run.

gasmask
06-21-2006, 04:33 PM
the atc 500 is on the ground...motor in frame...and electrical wire ran...

Air-cooled-R
06-21-2006, 04:44 PM
Im not a fan of yellow, but that things lookin great!

metalm0
06-21-2006, 07:40 PM
Some guys get way more out of the box with their design and implementation then others though. You might get one shop that calls enlarging the intake and raising the height of the exhaust port, a port job.

Why would you want to raise the exhaust port in the first place? Thats jsut going to make the compression drop and lose well, power basically... I apologize for being off topic here.

willcamach
06-21-2006, 08:09 PM
im not a fan of yellow either but thats a sweet rolling chassis. Nice work gasmask its definetly gonna be smashtime for the golfcarts when that hits the dragstrip. NICE!!!!

Billy Golightly
06-21-2006, 10:06 PM
Why would you want to raise the exhaust port in the first place? Thats jsut going to make the compression drop and lose well, power basically... I apologize for being off topic here.

Without ripping Ralph's thread more then it is already, your lessening the time it takes for the bad burnt exhaust gases to get out of the engine by making it higher, in addition to actually making the exhaust port itself larger (more flow). The Yamaha wrench report mods for the Tri-Z call for the exhaust port to be raised and radiused but I dont recall the exact #s off hand.

twgranger
06-21-2006, 10:19 PM
Without ripping Ralph's thread more then it is already, your lessening the time it takes for the bad burnt exhaust gases to get out of the engine by making it higher, in addition to actually making the exhaust port itself larger (more flow). The Yamaha wrench report mods for the Tri-Z call for the exhaust port to be raised and radiused but I dont recall the exact #s off hand.
I had mine raised with the wrench report mod and i sure in hell didnt loose any power. :w00t:

gasmask
06-21-2006, 10:25 PM
yamaha wrench report calls for phase 1 the exhaust port to be raised 1.5mm. phase 2 calls for the exhaust port to be rasied 2.0mm... www.quadpit.com. my first 3 wheeler was a 1986 yamaha ytz...my second was an 1985 ytz. after reading yamaha wrench report i had the work done to my cylinder. and i was an awsome upgrage...

Bryan Raffa
06-21-2006, 10:32 PM

mine is a full 2mm... thats why i mill the head to bring it back up!:naughty:

Billy Golightly
06-21-2006, 10:38 PM
Damn you guys are on the ball :cool:

hrc85250r
06-22-2006, 01:18 AM
LOL, gasmask and i go a ways back (he might not realize who iam) but gas knows his *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited*, knows who to build it, how it should be built and how fast it will be HRC i dont see a atc500R in your sig, nor a bike of this quality come rollin out of your garage? ya the price is funky, but i have had old school Factory Mechanics from the 80's port freinds cylinders for 150, its not always about money, yet about the joy that comes from it.... The ones that charge the ass raping prices are the people who are in it for money, not the sport, look at dave moores prices for porting!!! 35 bucks for piston windowing, around 2 bills to port, its the peopel who are in the garages workin from home, testing tuning, and running the EXACT product they sell are the ones i bring business to... as for the comment of ESR, By the way of Generic, you mean PROVEN and tested, well yes.... Eddies bikes always run eddies PUBLICLY sold ports, and parts, every bike Eddie puts out like his TRX520, 370PV have everything you could order monday.... before you shoot out comments back them up.... RIDICULOUS
Adam

actually, i have owned a cr500 and i have had a quad with a cr500 motor in it, that we built. i actually have several hand fabricated machines that me and my father build. i have a full suspension sand rail with a cbr600 motor in it that we built, a custom quad with a cbr954rr motor in it with lt250r plastics, and a full drag chassis that we built with a suzuki hayabusa mod motor in it with a 80 shot of NOS for drags. i also have my 2 250r's and i port most of them, unless its for drag. sure i would totally let a factory machanic port my cylinder because they know the tricks, and dave moore charges 2 bills for his play porting, which is cleaning up and opening the exhaust a little and opening up the boost ports and blending everything in. this si NT a full port job, it might look like it becuase he smoothed it all out, but it isnt. and when i was talking about ESR its not eddie himself its a big company and yes, they do use templets. if you order trx9 porting or whatever and another dude does you have the exact same porting, thats how they do it. i think every cylinder should be done to order and to how the rider wants it IMO. paying an old race tech 150 is a little different...he isnt really living off of the porting motors, so he would do a full race port if you wanted him to and there ya go. totally different with esr, the faster they can port them the more time they can do other stuff. BUT if you spend 400$ on a full port job they really massage your cylinder. they increase transfer volume and direction, reshape the exhaust completely, reshape the intake , reshape and/or open up the bost ports and deck the cylinder if necessary and change port timing to suit what you want. sure if you had ESR do a trx 9 or whatever you have a ported cylinder, but is it quality? it isnt just me, ALOT of people knock esr's porting his billet stuff is real nice i have some of it, but whatever....if you like his porting then ride it, but i wont be. and next time you knock what comes out of my garage, why dont you show me your custom framed machines that take 3-400 hours to build. :beer :beer :w00t: :twisted:

RideRed250R
06-23-2006, 08:45 PM
my question is... If DMR is just a clean up port job? why is he back logged 6 weeks, y does his R's roll some of thebest times, y does everyone who has raceda gainst his products said his *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* turns it out... i dont know, this convo is basically whose dick is bigger contest, sure theres better porters here, there all over, iam just tired of people knocking ESR, Trinity, LRD and the others for giving you a port job that works, My ESR cylinder before i gave it to trinity was NOT a template ported cylinder, the gentleman who owned it before me had it ported by ESR it was based off a TRX9 but with a more immediate hit around 3/4 throttle, people need to stop bitchin and when you go to buy a product ask, "hey i want something like a trx9 but with more topend", more then less the company will be happy to have a customer willing to have tricks done to his motor.
i dont know my 2 cents..
BTW wat does sand rails have to do with ATC's:crazy:
LOL jk bro
Adam

hrc85250r
06-23-2006, 08:58 PM
ya, i guess i just dont feel like typing the amount it takes to convey what im trying to say...sand rails dont have anything to do with it, but you asked if ANYthing like his stuff comes out of my garage so i threw that in there...well i dont wanna be the dick although im sure ive already sounded like it so im gonna stop attempting to say what im trying to say....the internet sucks for real arguments so i am giving up, but not bec ause im pissed or anything, just because i dont feel like us being enemies when we dont even know each other...so thanks for not getting pissed at me man...ltr

gasmask
08-08-2006, 05:40 PM
here goes the atc 500 with the grand river racing drag pipe. now i got the pipe today and went straight to the welding shop to add the foot peg mount. then it happen. the exhaust flange was wrong. the thing about it was i sent them an extra flange to build it. so we had to refab another flange, add the foot peg mount and the spring tabs...now i'm waiting for a 16 tooth sprocket and a 140 link o ring chain...

Louis Mielke
08-08-2006, 06:11 PM
man I'd love to see that thing light em up!

gasmask
09-03-2006, 07:48 PM
to the 500 lovers. i just bought another cr 500. now i have 3 and one of them have to go. up for sale in about 2 weeks is an 1985/91 cr 500 motor. the cases, crank and cylinder is an 85. the transmission, clutch assemble, the clutch cover and cylinder head is an 91. the head has .050 shaved off. compression is at 150 lbs., but i just bought a set of rings.2 problem tho. the front motor mount hole is broke on both ends.{ have an extra set of cases comming in} and the sprocket shaft is stripped and the sprocket is welded on{new shaft is coming}. now these problems will be fixed soon unless you want it as is. also i have the electronic coil,cdi, stator and flywheel. not sure if they work because i never used they. also the motor will run with no problems or no leaks. if you use a 38 to 40.5 keihin carb the jet setting is: needle clip=4 groove, pilot jet between 58 and 65 and the main jet 165 to 169. i live in geargia and the temperture is different. here it's: 4th groove, pilot jet 58 and main jet 169 winter/ 165 summer. right now i'll let it go for $500.00 plus shipping. forgot to mention it ported and polished buy Eric Gorr of Forward Motion and completely rebuilt and ran on cam 2 race gas. will need water hoses for sure.