PDA

View Full Version : New ATV bill proposed in Oklahoma

Groundworx
01-26-2006, 07:38 PM
I am not sure if I am posting this is the right forum or not, but I think that this is a pretty interesting story. Here is what I could find on the local news stations website.

(OKLAHOMA CITY -- A proposal intended to reduce deaths and injuries to children and teenagers on all-terrain vehicles is being offered by state Senator Bernest Cain.

The bill called The Children's ATV Safety Act would prohibit children under age 12 from riding on ATVs and require anyone under 18 to wear a helmet when on an ATV.

The bill comes after a study last May by the Journal of the Oklahoma State Medical Association found 62 people were killed and nearly 400 suffered brain or spinal cord injuries in ATV accidents between 1992 and 2002. The study says nearly half of those injured were younger than 16 and one was 3-years-old.

The bill has the support of numerous health agencies and several law enforcement organizations.)

If this goes through, I am going to be PO'd :twisted: . I have 2 boys (ages 7 and 9) and they ride all the time with me. If I am understanding this right, they are trying to make it where children under 12 can't operate ATVs at all. I could go along with a size limit for kids under 12, but don't take it away completely. My kids have been riding since they were 4 and 6 and it will break thier hearts if they aren't able to ride for another 3 and 5 years. I can't disagree with the helmet part of the bill though. I think everyone should wear as much safety gear as possible. I don't even let my kids load thier bikes on the trailer without a helmet.

Leave it to a few people being irresponsible to mess it up for everyone. If this bill makes it to vote, all the OKlahoma residents need to vote on this. Post your thougts on this if you want.....

TravEX
01-26-2006, 07:48 PM
Hmmm, maybe there is a size limit and not just prohibited all together. Keep us posted.

mad_max
01-26-2006, 07:50 PM
.......Leave it to a few people being irresponsible to mess it up for everyone. If this bill makes it to vote, all the OKlahoma residents need to vote on this. Post your thougts on this if you want.....

Man, I seriously doubt the bill (as you describe it) will get passed. Oklahoma is a pretty loose state (Kansas would probably enact the law :rolleyes: ). But Oklahoma could stand to tighten things up a little, I'd like to see a helmet law for ATV's in the state. I periodically ride at Appalachia Bay (Keystone Lake OK) and there are basically no rules there.

El'Capitan
01-26-2006, 07:50 PM
That sounds great, most of the children out there should'nt be alowed to ride. I find myself dodging all the kids out their driving their little 70's on the wrong side of the road. I personally think that a course that teaches basic etiquette while they are riding should be required for those under the age of 14 before they can legally go out and ride in public places. just my .02

Groundworx
01-26-2006, 08:01 PM
Hmmm, maybe there is a size limit and not just prohibited all together. Keep us posted.

I watched the news and read about it. They are talking about taking it away completely for kids under 12. They talked to the owner of a local Kawasaki shop and he said they encourage parents to buy smaller ATVs for thier children instead of letting them ride the bigger machines.

Groundworx
01-26-2006, 08:03 PM
That sounds great, most of the children out there should'nt be alowed to ride. I find myself dodging all the kids out their driving their little 70's on the wrong side of the road. I personally think that a course that teaches basic etiquette while they are riding should be required for those under the age of 14 before they can legally go out and ride in public places. just my .02

A safety course would work too, but I still don't think taking it away is the answer.

You don't have kids do you?

chris200x
01-26-2006, 08:33 PM
If only they did this back in 87' :rolleyes:

I dont know how it is in other states but here in Pa I believe (maybe someone could correct me) but Its required to take an ATV safty coarse when you purchase a new atv. I havent purchased anything new in quite along time but I think i remember seeing that somewhere.

I think there should at least be an age requirement for a certian amount of cc's. for example: Like noone under the age of 12 can operate any ATV with a displacement over 200cc's or something to that effect.

It never fails though I have seen it already in my local paper this year and its only january. a 13 year old girls was killed by being towed behind an atv on a sled. In the warmer months it gets even worse.

Also it seems to me that the local news makes a real big story out of every incident because of Paragon being in the immediate area. seems like every summer they have search parties and helicopters out looking for someone that was on an ATV.

People really just need to use their heads and not ride while drinking or riding above their abality. :(

hoser
01-26-2006, 09:20 PM
Snip

"The bill comes after a study last May by the Journal of the Oklahoma State Medical Association found 62 people were killed and nearly 400 suffered brain or spinal cord injuries in ATV accidents between 1992 and 2002. The study says nearly half of those injured were younger than 16 and one was 3-years-old."

Those numbers just for Oklahoma or nation wide?

Tri-ZNate
01-26-2006, 09:26 PM
Chris, I believe it is only STRONGLY recommended that they take a saftey course and when they do they take money off of insurance I believe. All I know is my friend didnt take it and he bought a brand new raptor in '04.

TimSr
01-26-2006, 09:33 PM
Snip

"The bill comes after a study last May by the Journal of the Oklahoma State Medical Association found 62 people were killed and nearly 400 suffered brain or spinal cord injuries in ATV accidents between 1992 and 2002. The study says nearly half of those injured were younger than 16 and one was 3-years-old."

Approximately 40,000 people in the US die from auto accidents each year. Approximately 1000 people in the US die each year from bicycle accidents. On the average less than 100 people die per year on ATVs and that number has stayed about the same since the early 90's even though ATV use has skyrocketed. Then you can look up home accidents such as bathtub drownings, and really get an idea as to what these numbers mean.

Fact is, your kid is a lot more likely to die in the truck on the way to your riding area than after he gets there, but we should all use good sense in choosing the proper machine for his physical size and abilities, (age has little to do with it) and make good use of safety equipment. Behind nearly every fatal accident is a long list of preventable stupidities that led to it.

hoser
01-26-2006, 09:52 PM
Approximately 40,000 people in the US die from auto accidents each year. Approximately 1000 people in the US die each year from bicycle accidents. On the average less than 100 people die per year on ATVs and that number has stayed about the same since the early 90's even though ATV use has skyrocketed. Then you can look up home accidents such as bathtub drownings, and really get an idea as to what these numbers mean.

Fact is, your kid is a lot more likely to die in the truck on the way to your riding area than after he gets there, but we should all use good sense in choosing the proper machine for his physical size and abilities, (age has little to do with it) and make good use of safety equipment. Behind nearly every fatal accident is a long list of preventable stupidities that led to it.

I agree 100%, been riding ATV's since 1971

I just wondered if the numbers were for OK only..

All accidents are preventable.

All rules and laws are a reaction to a problem..

What is the real driving force with the rul changes, is it safety or tree huggers using a different tool to get their way?

Cant count the ammount of times I seen little kids riding a ATV built for a adult because parents were too cheap to buy their kids the proper ATV.

Groundworx
01-26-2006, 09:54 PM
Snip

I believe these are just Oklahoma #s.

Groundworx
01-26-2006, 10:00 PM

These are a good points and stats TimSr. I have a question though, why are ATV's the target? I don't see anyone trying to pass a bill to help prevent auto or bicycle accidents.

The news report showed pictures of a teenager who was trying to help get this passed. He was injured on an ATV sometime last year. They showed pics of his injuries. It was obvious he wasn't wearing gear. Probably riding crazy too. He was in the hospital for quite a while and they said he was thrown from his ATV. This station has a thing called the Rant where you can email in your opinions and they might read your email on air tonight. I have sent one already and I am fixing to send a 2nd.

TimSr
01-26-2006, 11:26 PM
Why target ATV's? They targeted assault rifles event though rifles of any kind are used in less than 1.5% of all gun crimes. They targeted "cop killer" bullets even though no cop has ever been killed by a "cop killer" bullet. It makes good TV, its easy to sensationalize, and its believable to an ignorant public.

El'Capitan
01-27-2006, 01:46 AM
A safety course would work too, but I still don't think taking it away is the answer.

You don't have kids do you?

Uhhh, nope, im not one of those teen parents.

BIG*E*22188
01-27-2006, 03:47 AM
im just turning 18 now and ive been screwing around on thnigs all my life the bill would suck if it was instated but i agree on saftey equipment atleast a helmet alwasy and if you have boots and what not too

hoser
01-27-2006, 07:16 AM
These are a good points and stats TimSr. I have a question though, why are ATV's the target? I don't see anyone trying to pass a bill to help prevent auto or bicycle accidents.

The news report showed pictures of a teenager who was trying to help get this passed. He was injured on an ATV sometime last year. They showed pics of his injuries. It was obvious he wasn't wearing gear. Probably riding crazy too. He was in the hospital for quite a while and they said he was thrown from his ATV. This station has a thing called the Rant where you can email in your opinions and they might read your email on air tonight. I have sent one already and I am fixing to send a 2nd.

Thats why I asked "What is the real driving force with the rule changes,"
Most attacks I have seen on ATV's and anything off road is usually backed by the tree huggers trying to save the earth, they will stir the pot in any direction that will make ATV's look bad...

Groundworx
01-27-2006, 08:32 AM
Uhhh, nope, im not one of those teen parents.

Did you ever ride as a kid? I understand what you are talking about, but most of the kids that are getting in your way are probably not being supervised properly.

Groundworx
01-27-2006, 08:43 AM
Thats why I asked "What is the real driving force with the rule changes,"
Most attacks I have seen on ATV's and anything off road is usually backed by the tree huggers trying to save the earth, they will stir the pot in any direction that will make ATV's look bad...

From what I can tell it is just the study of the 62 people killed and 400 with injuries. I just seen another report about it on news. It will ban ATVs completely to kids under 12.

About a year ago, the city council here in town passed a law that you can't ride any off road motorcycle within 300 feet of another residence without thier permission. My dad has 7 acres behind his house. I had built a few little trails and a couple of jumps out there about 12 years ago. I have been riding out there ever since. Suddenly, right after this law passes, the police are out at his house. Now the city has anexed him in city limits so the law now applies. So now, I have to go about 30 miles away just to enjoy an afternoon of riding.

If this kind of stuff keeps up, give it 10-15 years and all ATVs will suffer the same fait as the trikes did some 20 years ago..

TimSr
01-27-2006, 06:16 PM
This is exactly why the "quads are just as dangerous" arguments should NEVER be made. They never wanted safer ATVs. They wanted a ban on off road riding, and they use a method known as incrementalism to get there. You pick out the easiest machine to demonize and keep going after it until its bumped off. Then you move on to the next one. People think Im parnoid when I put up a huge fight over a seemingly harmless new rule, but the fact is that you never gain anything in these "compromises". You just keep losing ground in small enough pieces that nobody notices until its too late. Alwasy wear the proper protective gear, but never settle for a LAW telling you what gear you have to have. Promote safe rding, but never push for more laws concerning how to ride. Be a responsible parent, but beware the government that feels it can make laws that do a better job than you. Fight registration, no matter how inexpensive it seems, because the only thing certain is that it will cost a lot more later, and you will get nothing in return other than a larger state government. Treat the land you ride on with respect, and dont be an ignorant inconsiderate idiot that goes out of their way to tick people off with loud exhausts and destructive riding habits. Adding more enemies does not help.

Ive fought in political battles over gun rights since the early 80's, and the battle to destroy off road riding is so parallel that its mind boggling. Simple methods, really. First, you take the pond scum guys who abuse them,(ATVs or Guns) and make life miserable for others, and present them as your typical average ATV rider or shooter. Then you start looking at their equipment, and attacking the most easily attackable such as "assault weapons or 3 wheelers". Then when you get those out of the way you start looking the nest most vulnerable like quads or pistols. Eventually you get to the point where you can use either without having a lawyer to navigate you through all the complicated laws, and you need to be wealthy to afford all the registrations, fees, and training programs, and every time you do go out, you are so paranoid of accidentally breaking a law, that you cant have good time, and your riding is restricted to putting around graveled circle at low speeds in a field. Most guys end up giviong it up because its too much of a hassle.

If you dont wish to exercise responsibility, the government prompted by special interest groups is more than happy to impose their version of it upon you.

Groundworx
01-27-2006, 07:55 PM
Well said TimSr. We had to start registering ATVs here last July. I was upset about that and now they are pulling this. Just like you said, a little at a time until it is too late and too far gone. Here a link to a video of the report. It is actually about 15 minutes long, but the ATV part starts at about 3:50 and last about a minute. You can scan up to that so you don't have to watch all the other depressing crap that Oklahoma news reports. You can see one part there is a little girl (about 4 years old) on about a 500cc utility quad. That didn't help any. I can say for the record though, I go ride almost every weekend and I never see something like that.

http://kfor.com/global/video/popup/pop_player.asp?ClipID1=644363&h1=Open%20topic%20night%20on%20the%20Rant&vt1=v&at1=Community&d1=88733&LaunchPageAdTag=Community&activePane=info&playerVersion=8&rnd=23524742

zeus8807
01-28-2006, 12:28 AM
If only they did this back in 87' :rolleyes:

I dont know how it is in other states but here in Pa I believe (maybe someone could correct me) but Its required to take an ATV safty coarse when you purchase a new atv. I havent purchased anything new in quite along time but I think i remember seeing that somewhere.
:(

your not forced to take a saftey course but they do make it very appealing, when i bought my kfx in april, i got a offer from kawasaki that if i take a saftey course i would get a $100 gift certificate or something to buy stuff at kawi dealers. $50 is it was your second quad, and $25 for anyone after that. unfortunally i didnt get to take it, their having alot of issues with insurance for these training courses since its all hands on teaching.

TimSr
01-29-2006, 12:18 PM

Thats odd you should say this. Ive had a lot more trouble with unsupervised obnxious and rude teen riders than smaller kids, who are normally supervised by their parents. I think maybe a better solution would be that riders under 18 be accompanied by an adult. Or better yet, maybe on up to 21.

Thank goodness the teens Ive met on this board have renewed my faith that all common sense has not been bred out of the human gene pool!

ATC crazy
01-29-2006, 05:10 PM
I have 2 boys (ages 7 and 9) and they ride all the time with me. If I am understanding this right, they are trying to make it where children under 12 can't operate ATVs at all. I could go along with a size limit for kids under 12, but don't take it away completely. My kids have been riding since they were 4 and 6 and it will break thier hearts if they aren't able to ride for another 3 and 5 years.

The way I see it...if you are on your own land, let them ride all they want! Screw the law and those cops who feel the need to harass you for it. :mad:

okieRrider
01-30-2006, 02:36 PM
I have been very worried about this law also. My son and I have been riding alot over the past 2 years and he is 7 years old now. I got him into this sport for the father/son time and we have gotten into racing a little also. I am convinced this sport teaches discipline, leadership, common sense, and respect in children. I absolutely do not want this bill to pass. I have emailed all of the members in congress and the senate from our state to protest this from becoming a bill and that is the only way I see this bill not passing....Chris

Groundworx
01-31-2006, 06:50 PM
I have been very worried about this law also. My son and I have been riding alot over the past 2 years and he is 7 years old now. I got him into this sport for the father/son time and we have gotten into racing a little also. I am convinced this sport teaches discipline, leadership, common sense, and respect in children. I absolutely do not want this bill to pass. I have emailed all of the members in congress and the senate from our state to protest this from becoming a bill and that is the only way I see this bill not passing....Chris

I am glad to see someone else as concerned about this as I am. My boys are 7 and 9. My 7 year old would ride day in and day out if we had land of our own. I can't imagine how he would take it if I told him he can't ride again for another 5 years. I also emailed Cain about this. I don't believe emails will do it though. People like me and you are going to have to show up and vote on this to get it thrown out.

Even if the law does pass, my kids will still ride. I may have to go out on some private land way out in the boonies, but I am not going to take riding away from them.

Another thing I am concerned about is what will come next. Before you know it, they will try to get quads taken off the market, then they will have to go to dirt bikes, then street bikes. This kind of nonsense has to stop somewhere....

Groundworx
01-31-2006, 06:52 PM
The way I see it...if you are on your own land, let them ride all they want! Screw the law and those cops who feel the need to harass you for it. :mad:

I think the most they could do it ticket you. I don't think most cops would come out and bother you unless someone called them and complained about it. I know a few of the local cops here ride street bikes in thier personal time. I am wondering if this bill is for state operated riding areas. I can't find many details about right now so I don't know all the specifics on it.

250r'en +TCB
01-31-2006, 07:43 PM
I think that all kids 16 and under should have to take a safty coarse. In NH you must take an OHRV coarse if you don't have a drivers license.
Now as far as those studies go that say teenagers are 1/2 the death rates, guess what, teenagers dying on motorized machines is nothing new. It dosn't matter if it's behind a set of handlebars or a steering wheel, teens are always gonna be getting killed more so than other groups. I am willing to bet ALL of you did stupid things as teens. It's just part of growing up really. I'm 15 and last year in my school some kid got killed on his blaster, closed-lined by a branch doing around 50mph, broke his neck. A month ago 3 kids died in one weekend at my school, they were driving drunk. My point is that you are never going to stop teenagers getting hurt/killed, if you make a law agianst riding ATV's most of them won't even care anyway........ trust me, I sure as hell wouldn't......

Groundworx
01-31-2006, 10:35 PM
I understand what you say about having the younger ones take a safety coarse. I can go along with that, but it shouldn't be forced. Like TimSr said earlier, if you give up a little ground here and there, before you know it, it is too late. I am afraid if one state starts this, they all will try to enforce it. Then before you know, all ATVs are going to be where trikes were 20 years ago.