PDA

View Full Version : Auto Trannys!!!! - moved from open

3Razors
01-29-2006, 07:37 PM
I swear am I last person on earth that prefers atv's with a transmission you shift with a lever?!!! All these quads coming out with rubberband drives just doesnt get me excited.

85 250sx
01-29-2006, 07:45 PM
I hear ya man. I rode my buddies Kodaik 450 and i was not impressed. They feal slugish and no where near the powr a 450 should feel like.

1984kxtTECATE
01-29-2006, 09:42 PM
I also agree, riding a sportsman 500 and a grizzly 660 the automatic just dosnt appeal to me. Dont get me wrong it is a very comfortable setup and lets me concentrate on other things then shifting and holding gears but still. Idealy I would at least like to see a manaul tranny as an option or somthing, or even a semi-automatic tranny.

twgranger
01-29-2006, 10:47 PM
I hear ya man. I rode my buddies Kodaik 450 and i was not impressed. They feal slugish and no where near the powr a 450 should feel like.
That is why they make clutch kits for them. They make a hell of a difference putting the power to the ground!!!!!!

3Razors
01-29-2006, 11:17 PM
A clutch kit will still not have the same effect as a constant mesh direct drive tranny. The belt drive robs 30% of the power an engine can make.

The manufacturers know that most newbie and novices like fully auto trannies so that is where the design is at. Im just old school and like the solid power and reliability of a constant mesh transmission.

A Honda 185S feels like it has the same or more power than alot of these 400cc and larger bikes.

MIK6
01-29-2006, 11:29 PM
I felt the same way. All my friends playing in the mud w/ their 4X4 autos and me on my tecate. It got to the point I was not having fun any more. I did my homework and picked up the sportyist (is that a word? LOL) 4X4 I could find. I absolutelly love my Prairie 700. I know alot of people at TF 04+05 got to play around on at, they all came back w/ big smiles.
I did a clutch mod, intake mod, a 2in lift and 27in mud tires. Its no T3 but the T3 is no good in the slop. The P700 will do 70 w/ the stock tires and lift the front like a sport quad and thats w/ my fat *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* on it LOL.
3Razors.. I want your opinion of it at TF06, take it for a GOOD ride and let me know what you think. I bet you will be shocked LOL.

MIK6 / Mike

3Razors
01-30-2006, 08:17 PM
Sounds pretty awesome mik! I think if I lived in the midwest or south I would definitely get a big bore 4x4 for the mudfights:)

90nut
01-30-2006, 08:33 PM
I saw some people cruisin around you your prairie at TF last year mike, but I was more interested in checkin out your t3. You gonna have that there this year? I am dieing to ride an 86-87. But yea everyone I saw on your 4x4 looked like they were having a blast.

zeus8807
01-31-2006, 12:16 AM
I swear am I last person on earth that prefers atv's with a transmission you shift with a lever?!!! All these quads coming out with rubberband drives just doesnt get me excited.

i know what *Edited* mean i want my quads full manual and kick start, or its just not a real thrill to me, i tried going with a electric start on my newest quad and i dont like it at the least.

Modded660R2fast
01-31-2006, 12:38 PM
Auto are ok for utility quads i guess :( but i would never want one on a race sports quad ever like the kfx700. How lazy can you be not to shift your own gears. I understand the auto feature on utility quads because it's kind of hard to shift through the gears when you towing something heavy or plowing snow. I love the kick start feature also it's just says bad @$$ to me but on a cold day when your bike has been sitting for a few months and you go to start it for the first time the electric start is Godly.