PDA

View Full Version : Car Question, vibrating from 45-55 mph

1984kxtTECATE
01-29-2006, 09:59 PM
Well I bought a little econmy car to suite my 200 miles a day driving. Its an 1987 dodge omni. Anyways, everytime I hit about 45 on thru 55 mph the car vibrates, not that bad but enough to make me tear it apart tommarow to check what is going on.

So far my list is-

CV joints
Wheel bearings
Tire balancing

Has any one else had this type of probelm on a car if so what was it?

Tri-ZNate
01-29-2006, 10:02 PM
yep on my dad's cavalier and his GEo tracker. Make sure the wheels are alinged and balanced. We would do 85mph before and it would ride as smooth as butter, then threw on some studded tires (not aligned or anything) and she shakes from about 57mph on.

wanta250r
01-29-2006, 10:57 PM
It does that on my 93 Chevy Suburban. Check for bent or damaged or dented driveshaft or rear axle also. Check the Universal-joints and Bearings. Check to see if the driveshaft and/or companion flange is out of balance. Look for missing weights on the shaft. Take out the drive shaft and reinstall 180-degrees from original position, then try it again.

zeus8807
01-29-2006, 11:08 PM
just fixed the same issue im my explorer about 3 months ago shock horribly at about 50-55

~ist of things to check and do~
tire or tires are out of balance or distorted in shape
loose or worn out shocks
other suspension peices may be damaged
worn out front bearings

my issues were a combination of shocks and tires, after a fresh set of shocks on front and back and some new tires she runs beautifully

mbg75
01-30-2006, 12:33 AM
start with the tires! if it vibrates thru the steering wheel it's in the front.. if you feel it in the seat then it's the rear..

have tires re-balanced and checked for damage (bubbles, flat spots).

wheel or hub bearings will make a humming sound.

bad cv axle will make a clicking sound while turning.

good luck

BLAZERONE22
02-03-2006, 12:01 PM
Well I bought a little econmy car to suite my 200 miles a day driving. Its an 1987 dodge omni. Anyways, everytime I hit about 45 on thru 55 mph the car vibrates, not that bad but enough to make me tear it apart tommarow to check what is going on.

So far my list is-

CV joints
Wheel bearings
Tire balancing

Has any one else had this type of probelm on a car if so what was it?

Come on by today and I'll check it out... And bring me Z goodies....

http://www.toonimator.com/sbook/omniman_flight_ruff.jpg

max
02-03-2006, 05:10 PM
does the vibration change when you apply the brakes lightly at that speed.

Oldshell4481
02-04-2006, 09:52 PM
happened in my truck, it was my front left *Edited*-joint, cheap fix, is fine now.

westcoast TRI-Z
02-04-2006, 10:29 PM
The exact same thing happened with my camry, except it happened at speeds of 70+mph. We got the tires balanced and aligned, it didn't fix it. Turns out it the left front tire's inside tread was bretty bald and the tread was starting to separate. Got new tires, and it rides buttery at any speed.