PDA

View Full Version : ATV Rally from Hell

TimSr
03-04-2003, 11:32 AM
Sunday I went to probably the first ATV Rally of the year, here. This is in the eastern central part of Ohio. Its was about 34 degrees, and drizzling all day. There was probably about 8-12 inches of wet snow on the trails. About 300-400 people came. Its started out almost every hill had a bottle neck from waiting on guys with sport quads to try to get up. I had no trouble at all with my 22" All Traks (backwards) on my TRX250R, so I quickly concluded that Holeshots, Razers and those type tread patterns which all these guys were running really suck in the snow. A pair of guys on a Warrior and 400EX running Mud machines, and Blackwaters seemed to have little difficulty too. I found the first 3/4 of the 20 mile course to be challenging but had no problems other than the long waits at every hill. By the time I got to the last part of the course, most of the sport quads had dropped out, and it was almost all 4WD utilities. They were getting through just fine, but the ruts they left finally became a real obstacle for me. I was hanging up on the frame on the last half dozen hills. I ended up hooking up with a guy on a 4WD utility, and his buddy on a 250EX. The poor kid on the EX had all kinds of trouble, but he was determined. Him and I were among the few on sport quads who actually made it through the entire course. He had a set of Razers. We'd have never made it without the guy on the 4WD. He ending up pulling the EX up 7 or 8 hills, and had to pull me up 3. Its was a fun day, but it was rough. It took us nearly 6 hours to compete a 20 mile course. Im hoping it will warm up today, as my soaked and muddy coveralls are frozen to the van floor and I cant get them out!

Howdy
03-04-2003, 04:12 PM
Im hoping it will warm up today, as my soaked and muddy coveralls are frozen to the van floor and I cant get them out!

lmao, I bet that was a mess. Some times it's fun to play in weather like that.
Howdy

Tri-Z_Jim
03-04-2003, 07:33 PM
Tim,I bet you wished you had your Z in a few places.My Blaster is useless on a well rutted 4x4 path,especially in snow.Holeshots and the likes are great on the dirt but in snow they are like having slicks.Sunday I was driving thru Ohio back 2 NY.It was cold and shi**y all day. LOL about the coveralls.

TimSr
03-05-2003, 11:48 AM
Funny, but I did try to imagine my Z, and had I been first on the trails, it would definately outplow the quad in the snow. In this case though, once the entire course becomes like riding a slot car, then trikes become a miserable venture. Its very tough to keep the front wheel in the middle, and you always end up cockeyed with the front and one rear in on rut, and the other rear in the other rut. Im hoping to have the Z back together in time for the First Rumble on the Ridge March 29th. They should have close to 4000 people this year.

Wickedfinger
03-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Tim, you need to invest in a Digital camera and snap some pic's of these events - I love seeing this stuff.

TimSr
03-05-2003, 04:36 PM
Actually the trick is to use a disposable camera, and get the pics on CD. I do have a digiatl camera but dont want to take it out there. Ive got tons of pics but havent updated my site in a while. I do have pics from one of the earlier Rumble on the Ridge rides posted. This is when they only got a measly 1800 people. http://www.angelfire.com/sports/fourwheeler/

Howdy
03-05-2003, 04:51 PM
Yep, That was a good rally. I believe that was the one ( date ) I was there. It was fun and muddy as all get out. lol

R. O. R. is where I first met Tim Sr/Jr in person. It's a great place to go.

Could you imagine 30 people or so from 3 Wheeler World going and showing just how crazy we are?

Howdy

ATC crazy
03-05-2003, 05:45 PM
Its very tough to keep the front wheel in the middle, and you always end up cockeyed with the front and one rear in on rut, and the other rear in the other rut.

LMAO. My friend always complains about that on my trails. One rainy day, he was rearended because of that. It was hilarious. :D