PDA

View Full Version : Bore?

85hondaatc125m
02-04-2006, 01:43 AM
I hear people talking about they are going to bore there ATV's cilinder bigger, what is a bore?, how do you bore? and what is the point of boring an ATV, thanks very much, Clint

yamahaman89
02-04-2006, 02:17 AM
all in all when you bore you are making the cylider walls smaller to put a little bigger piston in it, sometimes helps with strengh and compression, you can also hone a cylinder wall out

Yamahauler
02-04-2006, 02:53 AM
I hear people talking about they are going to bore there ATV's cilinder bigger, what is a bore?, how do you bore? and what is the point of boring an ATV, thanks very much, Clint
A bore size is the inside diameter of the cylinder.
The point of doing it on a small cc ATV engine is if the cylinder wears too much and you need the next oversize piston.
my ytm is bored .020 over, the original displacement was 196.3cc after the bore, i figured it out to be around 198cc or 199cc (cant quite remmeber). So you wont notice any performance increase if you bore a little motor like that to the max (unless your cyl was worn out, then you would just go to the next oversize piston so you have room to bore if you ever need to rebuild again).
If you want more performance, throw in a 10.25:1 compression piston. You should notice a differance there!

85hondaatc125m
02-04-2006, 11:58 AM
Om thank you guys, Im not really planning on boring anything, was just wondering so if I hear someone talk about it I know what they mean.