PDA

View Full Version : Engine/carb question

J.D.
03-05-2003, 12:38 AM
Ok the engine I'm referring to is 'supposed' to be a 1979 350, from a Nova. Now I'm in the process of restoring my El Camino and this is the engine I'm gonna use...and I was checking it out today, and it's got a 2 Barrel intake manifold?! WTF!? What kind of a 350 only uses a 2-barrel intake? Now here's my question. I'm building this El Camino for fuel efficiency, but at the same time for power. I know a 4-barrel will produce more power than a 2-barrel, but which is more fuel efficient? I'd hate to change manifolds, but if I have to, I have to because I will eventually want to use it for power and just have fun with it.

Dan Tenn
03-05-2003, 10:06 AM
lots of 350's had 2 barrell carbs and manifolds, unless it was a performance vehicle or large pickup. You should be able to get a used 4-barrell manifold and carb for a decent price. If you set up your carb right, only two barrells will operate unless you give it almost full throttle (you can adjust when the other 2 barrells kick in). You should get decent mileage with a 4 barrell if you set it up properly, and dont hot rod it all the time. If you floor it alot, you can watch your gas guage drop fast though.

Howdy
03-05-2003, 03:14 PM
My friend had a Pylmouth Gran Fury ( Ex Police car ). It can with a 4 barrel and he actually got real good gas milage until he romped on it. It was cool because when you did romp you were gone ( so was the gas ). But this was back in the $.79 cent gas days. lol

He always joked the car had 2 speeds. Slow and Empty gas tank ( Fast ).

Howdy

theeechozen1
03-06-2003, 03:50 PM
Dan is right, I had a 2 barrel (Rochester I think) on my 4-door nova small block, If you adjust it right you can run 2 barrels until you hit WOT then you get a rush of power--worked pretty good and got around 22mpg if you kept urself under control.

theeechozen1
03-06-2003, 03:51 PM
4 barrel ^^^^^ :oops:

J.D.
03-06-2003, 11:14 PM
Damn if you got 22 mpg on a Nova, an El-Camino should way about the same, but I'm gonna put headers and straight pipes, and a K&N hi-flow air cleaner, I should be able to get about 26 or so MPG. That's awesome!! Well...what size engine (C.i.) was yours? A 350 as well?

theeechozen1
03-07-2003, 11:31 AM
ya it was a 350 out of a 76 monte carlo I think

J.D.
03-07-2003, 07:44 PM
Then I see no problems with squeezing 26-30 mpg out of it :D

mike from long island
03-07-2003, 08:11 PM
i just got me a brand new 350 crate motor for my 85 chevy 4x4. i am running a 4 barrel edelbrok and performer intake. thats about all the high performance parts i am using. i dont need a power house but i want to make some noise. i am almost finished with the truck too. as soon as i do ill get a pic up here. its a frame off fixer upper lol !!!

theeechozen1
03-07-2003, 08:31 PM
well that might be pushing it, but anythings possible ;)

J.D.
03-07-2003, 09:00 PM
Yeah it's pretty far-fetched but whatcha gonna do. This El Camino is gonna be sweet. Right now, it's a big piece of crap...then again, it's a Chevy but whatcha gonna do, my dad gave it to me for free so I can't complain. Anyways, I got some body work to do, then I'm gonna paint it black, interior black as well, tinted windows, and I'm gonna put some sort of ground effects on there, not quite sure which stage yet, but like I said the 350 engine, headers, and I'm gonna try and get along with straight-pipes for as long as I can til I get stopped, and probably one of those high performance distrubutors that increases mileage+power.....and a nice sound system, but that's mandantory ;)

mike from long island
03-08-2003, 10:26 AM
the chevy 4x4 i got here is just a qwik list of parts that i had to replace.

engine 350 brand new crate motor(paid $500 for it from a guy getting a diviorce) plus the truck didnt have an engine to begin with
8 lug rears with 4:11 gears had 6 lug they had to go
different cab,fender,door,the only parts orginal from the truck are frame tranny,transfercase,pass door and pass fender.
all new energy suspension kit
trail master shocks
8 inch suspention lift
brand new 36 inch super swampers on aluminum slots
everything accessory on the motor is new(ie water pump,carb, alt,serpenty belt system,everything!!!)
plus the body work was donr by a freind who does it on the side.

so all together i have around $3000-4000 in new parts and buying used parts. just need to fiinish the exhaust,put the radiator in, brakes need to be finished,put the bed on, put the complete nose back on, and just work any bugs out once i get it running.

anybodt got a two inch cowl hood for me?? pics coming soon lol

this is my new trike transportation vehicle. trikes look good so i figured why not have a truck that was made the same time my triz and 250r where. plus i can beat the hell out of it and its cheap to fix. thanks chevy :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

J.D.
03-08-2003, 12:22 PM
What kind of exhaust you gonna slap on that badboy? And 500 bucks for a crate motor? Can't beat that!!

mike from long island
03-08-2003, 12:58 PM
i bought new flow tech headers and i have flow master mufflers with pipe running out the back shes gonna be bad ass lol