PDA

View Full Version : I went dumpster diving...

chris200x
02-06-2006, 05:27 PM
well actually I was coming home and this was in a pile of trash ready to be hauled away. :eek: It stuck out like a sore thumb. I plan on fixing this up.

I know they're are some old school bmx heads on the site... what do you think? :naughty:

Cody
02-06-2006, 05:31 PM
Saweet! Throw some white tires back on it. Clean the rims up. Get a new chain. That's just a little of what I would do to it. Make it show room MAIN!

dizasterzrfun69
02-06-2006, 06:43 PM
i used to have a schwinn predator that i let go to the scrap yard (i was like 8 and didnt know any better). It looked about like that one. I do have some white mag rims like those i will sell you, they need cleaned up and new bearings in the back but then they would be good to go. Nice find.

kevin

chris200x
02-06-2006, 06:49 PM
well these mags are nice and tight. Just need a good cleaning. Just not sure the best way to go about this. sanding I'm sure is one option but what about bleaching them?

I think this is something I can really get into... It's almost as fun as trying to hunt down nos wheeler parts. Ebay has all kinds of good stuff for these old trick bikes. :w00t:

New2ATC
02-06-2006, 06:57 PM
nice find, I found an old 1957 western flyer 3 speed bike that cleaned up very nicely.. ill have to get a pic of it...

bigredhead
02-06-2006, 07:54 PM
Try " Spray Nine " .. that stuff cleans plastic pretty good.. could always use o'l WD40

chris200x
02-06-2006, 08:28 PM
I'll give that a try... thanks BRH

Well I just went a little crazy on ebay buying and bidding on parts for this. They are almost as expensive as some trike parts thats for sure.

Hey, If i decide to repaint the frame and handlebars besides powdercoat what would be a good durable paint to use? Also would clearcoat help protect better?

blue27
02-06-2006, 08:38 PM
I still have an old Schwinn Predator, I took it to the race track with me when I ran XC. It went to Blackwater three time just to ride into town instead off fighting traffic in the truck. Still has sponsor decals and mud on it.:lol: It was jumped into the lake up at Trailway Speeday, it took a lot of abuse.:p

Jeffro33
02-06-2006, 08:40 PM
When I was a kid I use to always look through peoples trash to find bike. At one time I had 8 bikes from the trash. I would clean them up, then spray paint them. I always made enough money to buy candy and fish bait with. Those where the days.

chris200x
02-06-2006, 10:08 PM
I still have an old Schwinn Predator, I took it to the race track with me when I ran XC. It went to Blackwater three time just to ride into town instead off fighting traffic in the truck. Still has sponsor decals and mud on it.:lol: It was jumped into the lake up at Trailway Speeday, it took a lot of abuse.:p

Boy i just thought of some of the stuff we used to do. When i was a pre teen :lol:

we used to build these bigass ramps of the end of a fishing dock and launch into the lake! :w00t:

I remember the first kid that tried it had an awefully hard time finding his bike on the bottom of the lake. :lol: So we tied life jackets to our handlebars so the bike would stay afloat! :Bounce

aaaaahhh good times! :lol:

edog
02-06-2006, 10:15 PM
Huffa would like that.

Bryan Raffa
02-06-2006, 11:11 PM
I use to have a hutch trick star everything chrome wish i still had it .once and a wile Ill see a kid on a bike and show them some tricks and they look at you like your some kind of god!

bigredhead
02-07-2006, 09:56 AM
About launching off a pier.. we used to wrap a large tire tube around the bars and then inflate it as best we could.. same idea as the life jacket..

It started with a rope tied to the frame ... but the first guy to get the rope tangled in the rear wheel 3 ft short of the end of the ramp found out it was not a good idea !!!! then came the tube !! lol...

chris200x
02-18-2006, 11:49 PM
Well I've been a busy little bee the last couple days. here's my progress.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e137/chrisr200x/250sxfrontend041.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e137/chrisr200x/250sxfrontend042.jpg

I went with "grabber green" for the color with white accents. Plus I got all sorts of goodies coming from ebay... Gonna look pretty sweet when i'm all done. what do ya think?

grundlegrabber
02-19-2006, 12:36 AM
Nice find man! Been a long time since I found any good trash. Last thing I found was an old Toyota guitar that I sold for $250! I would have ebayed that sucker and traded it for some triks parts, but if you're into the BMX bikes more power to ya. What color green did ya say that was? Grundlegrabber green? Most grundles I've seen are usually some shade of brown...

chris200x
02-19-2006, 04:59 AM
It's actually grabber green engine enamal from wally world. i've also got 5 coats of clearcoat over it to help protect it. so it should hold up pretty good I hope.

The cool thing about it is I've spent a little less than $60 an all material and parts. All I need is a new set of old school white pedals to finish her up.

Hmm,,, I like it so much I'm not sure if I will let my boy ride it now. Because I know it would take him no time at all to run it into the ground. :cry:

Chrisbroeders
02-19-2006, 09:50 AM
ahh *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* let the boy ride it.. hes gotta have fun too. start em off early ridin. i started ridin my trike when i was 7 years old and i still have my old 110. but i blew it up so i had to get a new racing piston and sleve for it. my dad always said let em ride

chris200x
02-19-2006, 09:59 AM
Lol... well he's nine years old and goes through one bicycle about every six months. :rolleyes:

The youngins these days don't appreciate These old school bmxers. You should of see the look on his face when I brought it home... The first words out of his mouth was "Ill I don't like the color" :lol: But now that it's green and he sees all the cool parts I got for it he's very much into it. I even had him help me out with the sanding and painting.

If I can trust him out in the field with the 250sx (supervised of coarse) I guess I can trust him with a bicycle huh. ;)

Vealmonkey
02-19-2006, 11:25 AM
How come you painted the bearing races for the pedals green? Hope your sanding that off. Not meaning to be a pain. Nice looking paint though. I had a harley painted like that, the coler was called get 'um green.

chris200x
02-19-2006, 12:01 PM
Yea, there were a couple places I forgot to tape off. :rolleyes: I'll take care of it. Right now I'm tearing my hair out (what little i have) trying to put the rear brake caliper back together... I took the whole thing apart to wire wheel it. :wondering

I'm starting to think I should of never disassembled that gyro thingy on the gooseneck either. :lol: that should take a good month to figure out as well.

jason85atc250r
02-19-2006, 10:29 PM
i still have my PK ripper from back in the day.

one day i went with a couple guys to a local auto salvage yard and the guy dad that ran it was retiredand still lived on the property. he fixed up old bikes and sold them. on top of the parts pile was a another PK ripper i got + a couple mongoose pro class rims the ones with the holes between spokes. there was a plastis Z rim there also.

my buddy found a kuwahara bravo freestyle bike in the trash the other day it was a yellow one exactly like the kid in ET the movie had. i bought it from him for $40.

i find alot of stuff at the local *Edited* pull it auto salvage yards people throw them in the back of trucks and vans when they junk them.

chris200x
02-19-2006, 10:35 PM
Yea, It's amazing what you could find sometimes. I don't make it a habit to go out every week on garbage night. :lol: But like I said I passed in the car and seen it sittin there so... I was actually quite nervous thinking someone would see me and start yelling. :lol:

Hey Jason... You still up for that ride? :Bounce

seadoo650
02-19-2006, 10:37 PM
i had a diamond back back in the day. Gave it to my neighbor when I got my driver lisence. wish I still had it.

jason85atc250r
02-19-2006, 10:40 PM
yep i'm still in to going riding sunday.

chris200x
02-19-2006, 10:44 PM
yep i'm still in to going riding sunday.

I'll try gettin in touch with you friday sometime. :naughty: Should be a blast! I can hardly wait! :w00t:

jason85atc250r
02-19-2006, 11:10 PM
with my stuff i have on ebay now that ends tonite i'll be making enough almost to pay for the 200x and 200s i won on ebay.:Bounce it'll be close to $450...

hopfully everybody pays.

pm me with your address so i can figure out directions to your house.

chris200x
02-20-2006, 12:04 AM
with my stuff i have on ebay now that ends tonite i'll be making enough almost to pay for the 200x and 200s i won on ebay.:Bounce it'll be close to $450...

hopfully everybody pays.

pm me with your address so i can figure out directions to your house.

I think you forgot to mention those rides to me when we spoke. :confused:

If I remember correctly your bringing some sort of suped up quad? either way I can't wait. I just hope it aint 5 degrees out :eek: when we go. See you soon. :beer

Trike Dude
02-20-2006, 12:08 AM
What kinda mags are they?

This is showing my age but I sure do miss my yellow and black Schwinn Scrambler w/ the trick yellow Skyway Tuff Wheel II mags on it.

Anybody here remember and old freestyle bike called a Scorpion?

chris200x
02-20-2006, 12:13 AM
yea, they are skyways... I've also heard of a scorpion as well.

This is a cool website i frequent. lots of good info and people.

http://www.vintagebmx.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=7

jason85atc250r
02-20-2006, 01:09 AM
I think you forgot to mention those rides to me when we spoke. :confused:

If I remember correctly your bringing some sort of suped up quad? either way I can't wait. I just hope it aint 5 degrees out :eek: when we go. See you soon. :beer

yeah i'll probably be bringing the 400ex with the 250r motor in it. if that dont work my 86 trx will get beat on instead

i have a thread in trikeslyvania about the 2 3wheeler i won you can see them there.

chris200x
02-20-2006, 01:21 AM
Jason. I sent you a pm... My dumpster diving thread is quickly turning into a local riding forum thread... I wish not scorned by the village elders! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wolfguy
02-23-2006, 01:15 AM
man, I had a bike just like that when I was a kid. It had the white plastic wheels like that and that funny looking frame brace out back. Mine was blue, it weighed a ton but I put it through hell, I think it was called a HARO. have fun with it, brings back good memories

chris200x
02-23-2006, 11:50 AM
here she is almost done... still looking for brake cables seat and pedals... all white of coarse. I also have a set of white ame grips coming off egay.

New2ATC
02-23-2006, 02:34 PM
looks good. You should be able to find the rest of the parts on ebay or even a wal mart or bennys might have the parts. I plan on rebuilding my S&M Sabbath, and Haro Mirra for the summer riding. Also, I have a little question about older bikes, and I dont mean to hi-jack the thread, but if anyone knows where to get a new sturmey archer 3 speed hub cable, Im looking for one.

el Pollo
02-23-2006, 10:17 PM
Dang. Good find man!!

Sometimes you can net some pretty good stuff. My brother last month found a GBA SP with some games in a box next to a dumpster. Along with it was a Sega 32X and a bunch of games. He gave them all to me and I cleaned them all up. Everything looks and works like new.