PDA

View Full Version : driving age from 16 to 18 poll

Tri-ZNate
02-09-2006, 07:20 PM
Ok have to do a persuasive essay on this subject and I figured it would be easiest if I say "oh yeah it should be raised." But I want your guy's opinion on it. It would help me if you said why you felt that way to but you dont have to.

Rm250RF900R
02-09-2006, 07:30 PM
I think 16 should be the age to drive. But its like a doubled edge sword. At age 16, a lot of kids are still to immature to drive. They will just get drunk, and go driving around with friends. Atleast a 18 year old has enough common sense to know that.

nate b
02-09-2006, 08:05 PM
I drank and drove more from 18-25 than I did when I was 16, because I couldnt afford to get drunk everyday when I was 16. I would have liked to but times were tough without a job. let the 16ers drive what the hell. now something that scares me is I heard WI is trying to pass a law that lets 8 year olds deer hunt WITH A RIFLE!!!!!

Somekindofjerk
02-09-2006, 08:09 PM
If anything, older citizens for example 65yo people should be re-road tested to be sure they are still capable of driving. And the whole deal with 8yo being able to deer hunt with rifles... ACIDENT PRONE!!!! But anywho yeah, let the 16yo drive.

Rm250RF900R
02-09-2006, 08:13 PM
The funny thing is in my school. Which is only Massachusetts. Almost any 6th grader you meet goes out, smokes cigaretts, drinks, smoked weed, and a whole bunch on any giving weekend of the year. These kids every weekend are doing this stuff and how old are they? Only 12. Man I'm only 17, but back then things were a lot different. Kids these days are pretty Fed up. My sister is just getting to that age "shes 11". If I find her making my mistakes all over again, I'll be pisssssed :mad: :mad:

jchx99
02-09-2006, 08:15 PM
I'm 18 and I don't end up getting mine till the end of next month, anyways. I wasnt really too concerned with getting my license the second I turned 16, lol. But still I say that it should remain at 16... if not the procrastinator's like me won't end up getting it till they're 20! LOL :lol:

Jordan Hinze

Pistonhead
02-09-2006, 08:19 PM
Keep it at 16, high school shop is there so we can bring our trucks in and work on em'!!

Murph
02-09-2006, 08:29 PM
Keep it at 16. Theres not enough money for buses to bring everyone to highschools...

and on the 8 year olds with rifles deer hunting, most states don't even have a minumum age limit. Theres a lot more 7-8-9 year olds than you think out there deer huntin with there 243's.

Tri-ZNate
02-09-2006, 09:04 PM
Here is the other side of the coin though, The mind has three main parts. The Id, The Ego and the superego. The Id is your most primal disires and the part of your concience which says "Do it man You'll never get caught", The Superego is the reverse of the Id, its the side that tells you what the right thing to is. And the Ego is the poor guy in the middle who rationalizes what could happen. Now with that little psychology lesson out of the way i can get onto my point.

A 16 year old truly is not mature enough to drive because the Superego of their brain isnt fully formed yet and with peer pressure (yeah I know everyone says it and no body really has it happen to them but bear with me) friends in the car, speed, and showing off to that special someone makes reckless driving happen alot more (I doubt anyone of us are immune to that) than it should.

Are we the under 18 year old the only ones suseptable to it? Hell no but that is the way it is protrayed since we are younger and dont have as much experience.

TimSr
02-09-2006, 10:13 PM
I drank and drove more from 18-25 than I did when I was 16, because I couldnt afford to get drunk everyday when I was 16. I would have liked to but times were tough without a job. let the 16ers drive what the hell. now something that scares me is I heard WI is trying to pass a law that lets 8 year olds deer hunt WITH A RIFLE!!!!!

Maybe we should compromise. Since kids hunting must be accompanied by an adult, maybe drivers under 18 should be accompanied by an adult too.

So if you really want to compare the two, a lot more people die as a result of 16-17 year old drivers than as a result of kids hunting, and Id feel a lot less threatened by an 8 year old holding a rifle with his dad standing behind him (as required by law in every state), than a 16 year old driving a car with his buddies.

Having said all this, I think it should be 16, but trying to drag somebody else's pastime into the mix for your arguement, especially when its a statistically very poor argument is not a good idea.

250r'en +TCB
02-09-2006, 10:24 PM
I am going to be 16 soon. by the end of this school year I will have my license. However, I'm not gonna take the side you think. Most kids at 16, about 80% are absolutely clueless and have no idea how to drive anything remotly complex. The fact is that so many kids are immature. Thats not to say that all 18 y/o are mature!!! But 2 more years can make a difference, a big one.
I personally think there should be some test (not a written one) that kids can take when there 16. Test them on awareness of surroundings, judge their ability to make quick decisions under pressure. If they pass that then they can get it. other than that take it at 18.

Jason Hall
02-09-2006, 10:49 PM
250r'en +TCB, I think you are rite. A simulated wreck or freak situation would show what the drivers natural reaction would be. That would be a great teller of someone's driving ability. I feel that your first reaction can kill you or keep you alive. If you are 16 & blabing with your buddy in the passengers seat, your natural reaction will not be the same as If you were to have total consentration. I feel that If you are under 18 you should either have adult supervision, or should limit how many youngsters they can have in their car. I also feel there are alot of old people that should be re-tested. I have seen this many times where some old geezer has done something so stupid that they should take their license on the spot.

Billy Golightly
02-09-2006, 11:55 PM
I think age has absolutely ZILCH to do with a persons maturity or capabilities as a safe driver. I say abolish an age limit entirely and make the driving tests much, much more in depth. Then make it where you have to retake it and pass it every 5 years.

Old 179
02-10-2006, 01:31 AM
I'm showing my age (47). I was raised on a farm like all of my friends were. all country raised. We were driving tractors while still in diapers, had to stand up to look over the dash of a farm truck when we drove. We were ready for the road by 13th birthday. I knew city kids that didn't get a chance like us to practice at a early age, and by 20, they still should not have been on the road.
Let them drive at 16 !!!!!!!!!!!!
Would it not be cool if the deers could shoot back with a rifle?????

Disclaimer: I don't dislike city people, I support all recreational hunting, own what ever type of gun for protection, but if you use it offensively, you should die by it.
PS yes I did walk to school, in snow, up to my chest, up hill, both directions, with out shoes.

Pistonhead
02-10-2006, 02:08 AM
I'm showing my age (47). I was raised on a farm like all of my friends were. all country raised. We were driving tractors while still in diapers, had to stand up to look over the dash of a farm truck when we drove. We were ready for the road by 13th birthday. I knew city kids that didn't get a chance like us to practice at a early age, and by 20, they still should not have been on the road.
Let them drive at 16 !!!!!!!!!!!!
Would it not be cool if the deers could shoot back with a rifle?????

Disclaimer: I don't dislike city people, I support all recreational hunting, own what ever type of gun for protection, but if you use it offensively, you should die by it.
PS yes I did walk to school, in snow, up to my chest, up hill, both directions, with out shoes.

Farm style!! I was behind the the bars of a trike at age 4, and by the time I was 12 I was already driving a 7.3 litre ford diesel. I'm 16 now and I regularily drive my Chevy (stick shift) as well as a different 7.3 Ford diesel, a 94 BMW (stick shift as well) and I was also driving tractors at an early age.

I know kids in the city who have no idea how to get a stick shift vehicle moving. One thing is for sure, country kids are ready for the road ALOT earlier than city kids.

Tri-ZNate
02-10-2006, 02:09 AM

damn I was gonna ask you that too ;)

danteross77
02-10-2006, 08:36 AM
When I was 14 my mother was diagnosed with Cancer she went through Chemo treatments for 4 years. I started driving then, No license. I drove so carefully so I would not be pulled over. I did not grow up in the country but in the 4th largest city in the nation. I did all the errands and drove me and my sister to school. I was the only freshman in High school driving(Got plenty of action with the girls) still no one said anything, everyone knew the situation. When I was 17 I finally went to take my test after my father paid for a driver ed. class. I aced the class and got a 100 on my test.

knsmodels
02-10-2006, 11:16 AM
Maybe we should compromise. Since kids hunting must be accompanied by an adult, maybe drivers under 18 should be accompanied by an adult too.

So if you really want to compare the two, a lot more people die as a result of 16-17 year old drivers than as a result of kids hunting, and Id feel a lot less threatened by an 8 year old holding a rifle with his dad standing behind him (as required by law in every state), than a 16 year old driving a car with his buddies.

Having said all this, I think it should be 16, but trying to drag somebody else's pastime into the mix for your arguement, especially when its a statistically very poor argument is not a good idea.

:beer I agree

Lomax
02-10-2006, 11:32 AM
I learned to drive in pastures in an old stick shift chevy at a young age. I have known how to drive for a long time now and at 16 I was pretty careful I think. Nowdays though (and theres not that big of a gap), I know kids "young teens" that couldnt operate a self propelled lawnmower, much less a car.
Not all are like that though so dont get me wrong, I have a 16 year old that works for me and I have watched him, He makes me nervous when he is on my 110 three wheeler, but he drives very well.

darrel632
02-10-2006, 11:48 AM
Alberta has a specific set rules for new drivers (reffered to a graduated drivers licence) Things like no driving from midnight to 6AM, any major infraction in the first 2 years of driving you loose your licence for 2 years. have to a DD course (includes all ages of new drivers, not just 16 to 18) seems to work really well.

Like most of the farm raised "olders" on the board I was tractor driving when I was big enough to push a clutch and driving a '47 CJ2A to school at 13 if I missed the bus (I made sure I missed the bus) 66 chevy pickup the day after my learners etc the police turned a blind eye to it. I was a pretty good driver at 16 in my opinion, now I realize I was an arrogant driver who thought he was good, more than anything I was a "lucky" driver, in that I didn't kill someone with some of the crap I pulled off. By the time I was 20 with 7 years of driving under my belt I, realistically, was a reasonable driver, somewhat proffesional in my attitude and much better able to judge road, driving and other drivers conditions in regards to what was happening on the road. My belief is it takes a driver alot of hours, and miles under various conditions before they are really proficient at what they are doing. At my age (40+) I don't like driving in major cities anymore, not that I feel I'm poor behind the wheel, but my reactions to the "rice rockets" driving like idiots may not be as quick as they were 5 or 10 years ago. and my accident avoidance skills are not as sharp as they once were, just because I don't drive in the city more than 2 to 6 hours a month. I can aviod moose and deer any day of the week but the "To Fast to Furious" scare the stuffing out of me.

IMHO, Darrel

crackshot
02-10-2006, 12:00 PM
Make it 18 nationwide. Parents are liable for a minor and don't feel like getting sued and driving up cost of insurance and medical.

ClayW
02-10-2006, 12:08 PM
I agre with billy that age doesnt always have a direct link to maturity. However, I can guarentee statistically that there are more 16 yr olds killed in auto accidents where they were driver. In the Atlanta Metro and surrounding counties they are constantly killing themselves. You see it every week on the news here. They are always talking about law inforcement trying to pressure law makers into changing the law. The problem is, at least around here, is that parents are lazy and dont feel like driving there kids to school and dont put a decent curfew on kids. It honestly falls back on parenting. If I dont think my kids are ready, I dont care how old they are. They wont be driving. And by the way, I got my learners permit at 15 and had my license at 16. I believe it should be 18 now.

ClayW age 31

ATC crazy
02-10-2006, 03:21 PM
I was driving when I was 15.

Tell me this....kids are getting their first real jobs when they are 15-16 years old. How do you expect them to get to and from their job if they have to wait until they are 18 before they can drive?

Its not the kid's fault they mature much slower these days. Only 100 years ago, if that, 12 and 13 year old "adults" were having children and getting married and starting a whole new life away from "mommy and daddy".

When I first started driving at age 15, I acted like I was a 50 year old man when I was in a vehicle, whether I was driving or not.

Kintore
02-10-2006, 05:41 PM
Farm style!! I was behind the the bars of a trike at age 4, and by the time I was 12 I was already driving a 7.3 litre ford diesel. I'm 16 now and I regularily drive my Chevy (stick shift) as well as a different 7.3 Ford diesel, a 94 BMW (stick shift as well) and I was also driving tractors at an early age.

I know kids in the city who have no idea how to get a stick shift vehicle moving. One thing is for sure, country kids are ready for the road ALOT earlier than city kids.

I 100 percent agree, I go to a school with about a quarter country kids and the rest city folk. I have noticed city people when they have there G2(can drive by themselves) are alot more scary behind the wheel. Meanwhile my country friends and I are alot more confortable. I started driving tractors ans combines since I was a wee lad. I love driving and think people like billy said should take a test and abolish age limits.

Tell me this....kids are getting their first real jobs when they are 15-16 years old. How do you expect them to get to and from their job if they have to wait until they are 18 before they can drive?

I agree, I hate having to wait for my G2, its a pain in the arse waiting and trying and scambling to find rides to work!

With all that said, I think Billy's idea is the best. One hard test any age can do it.

Billy Golightly
02-10-2006, 05:54 PM
Let me elaborate on the tests I think that should be in place. I want to see something that tests the persons reaction time and ability to react when unforseen things happen, whether its in a simulator of some sort or while actually driving would be even better. How apt they are to distractions. Are they aware of their surroundings. They should be tested on a variety of different surfaces and road conditions. Dry, wet, foggy, ice. They should experience a blown tire at interstate highway speeds and be able to react properly to it. They should experience and be well equipped in the event that there are mechanical failures on the vehicle they are driving (IE the brakes go out). There should also be a short pyschological test to see how apt they are to road rage, and whether they are capable of maintaining excellent driving skills while under emotional distress, ect.

If every state set some serious levels and goals on tests that went with what I said above I bet that less then half of the driving related injuries and deaths would happen every year.

Jeffro33
02-10-2006, 07:06 PM
Growing up in the country/bayou, I was taught how to drive a tractor in one day. (3 days of redoing the fence) I could not have been older than 5 or 6. I got my DL when I has 17. But before then my parents let me drive my truck that I bought to the feed store and out with my friends. They told me if I get caught it is my problem not theres. I am very a where of my surroundings now when I am driving especially around fences.:w00t:

TrikeKid
02-10-2006, 08:29 PM
KEEP IT AT 16. I'm getting my permit and starting driving school in the next few days (Looking at an 85' Toyota truck tomorrow too). The 18 year olds I know are no more mature than my friends my age, 2 years doesn't make that much diffrence. If you pass the test or no is the only thing that should decide if you get a license or not. I'm getting a job at the same time, I have to pay to drive the truck, and I can't get a job with no transportation (parents work and can't be there at 2:20 to pick me up)

Cody
02-10-2006, 08:39 PM
Same thing here TrikeKid. Im getting my permit soon, and been waiting for a long time. I dont want my dreams to go *POOF* Ya know, I need a job. Cant get there without driving. I dont feel like riding a bike 100 miles.

hiltu
02-10-2006, 08:44 PM
i think every parent should teach their kids responsibility, take them out to drive a snowmobile, 4wheeler, 3wheeler, even a riding lawnmower. Mostly speaking at 17, i no that i am a better driver have driven wheelers for years now. Most girls i no aren't that good( and some guys) they all have the same thing in common, never drove anything before. Driving anything with wheels while young has helped me drive safer and learn it alot faster.

BIG*E*22188
02-11-2006, 03:29 AM
ok that country city kid remark ummm yeah if you say so.....that was funny though

BIG*E*22188
02-11-2006, 03:31 AM
have you ever had to drive on the grand central parkway in new york city during friday rush hour ........... no tractor gets you
ready for that

Old 179
02-11-2006, 02:34 PM
have you ever had to drive on the grand central parkway in new york city during friday rush hour ........... no tractor gets you
ready for that

Have you ever seen a monster truck show? Just visual instead of a truck, a 300-400 hp 4wheel drive tractor dueing the same. beep-beep

Old 179
02-11-2006, 02:36 PM
Have you ever seen a monster truck show? Just visual instead of a truck, a 300-400 hp 4wheel drive tractor dueing the same. beep-beep

(dueing????) meant doing. oops!

SpeedBump
02-12-2006, 10:21 AM
Keep it at 16. Theres not enough money for buses to bring everyone to highschools...

You MUST be kidding (or you are only a teenager too)! :mad: Not enough money? Please. On average, States spend OVER $10,000 per student per, year in public education. The PROBLEM is the Teacher's Union protecting unqualified Morons who get to teach (or not teach) our Children. The government has been throwing $$$$$$$ in the BILLIONS at The Public School System and it NEVER gets any better. Give ME back my taxes (in the for m of a Education Voucher)and I can sure as HEII get my children educated for WAY less than 10k a year. Damn, I hate when I hear uninformed comments about things like this.

As for the Driving age....hmmmm, kinda torn over that one. Initially I would say, raise it to 18. At 18 you are considered an adult. I think Driving is an ADULT Privilege. I have a son who is going to turn 18 in a month and he doesn't have his license. He doesn't want it. I am GLAD because HE is not mature enough to be behind the wheel. His situation is a bit different. He was caught at a party when he was 15. He was not drinking at the time of the bust. ( I am sure had he not arrived only a short time before the police, it would be different :mad: ) The judge in his case went lightly on him. No fines, but revoked his driving privileges for 90days. Because he was only 15, the sentence would be carried out as soon as he got his license. Well, knowing it would be instantly suspended, he never went and got it. Good. It may have saved his life. (or some other innocent person). The only major drawback to all this....another kid to drive around like a Taxi. Now that he has gotten used to it this way, he STILL doesn't want to get his license!!! We have told him too bad, he NEEDS it to get to and from work..(if he EVER finds a job!!!)...as we can't continue to take him. He refuses to get his license so I have had to make some hard choices about all this. No more rides from us. His friends can pick him up to go here and there. When he turns 18 and graduates... Get a job, get a license or move back in with his mother! THAT is IT!

I wanted to tell ya this story to show one reason people could use to say the age should be raised.

I also have 2 other children who will be of driving age someday. (next son is 12 now) I don't think it is fair that people like my oldest, screw things up for everyone else. Just because there are teenagers who are too immature to drive, shouldn't impact the rest of them in a negative way. The parents are the ones who should make the final decision about driving. It is hard to say, but what happens, happens. (suvival of the fittest) When my other son reaches 16, he should be able to get his license if he wants to. I have no problem with restricting their driving to only daylight hours or even requiring more training before they are allowed to just take off WITHOUT supervision, but in the end, I think the age should remain 16.

BIG*E*22188
02-12-2006, 10:02 PM
on a tractor your all alone in your corn field

Pistonhead
02-12-2006, 10:15 PM
On a tractor you are all alone (except for the new 2 seater Case, John Deere and New Holland tractors) and you have to constantly watch both the field in front of you and the field behind you. Its no ho humming put your feet up in the air and cruise along deal, its hard work. I find a car in rush hour similar, however, instead of watching for sidehills and big molehills in front of me and crap plugging up my balers and haybines behind me, I have to watch for idiots trying to cut me off in the front and smash their front end on my steel bumper in the rear.

Except with a tractor you have 300+ diesel horses that don't exactly stop all nice like a car does when you brake. Although, they are starting to get more comfortable, for a while, I never had a tractor with a radio, now they have air conditioning and stereos better than the rice boys in town.

Pistonhead
02-12-2006, 10:19 PM
I'm not saying a tractor will get 16 year olds ready for New York traffic, I'm just saying a tractor will get 16 year olds more prepared to deal with controlling their vehicle and paying attention to outside aspects at the same time.

I've driven in city rush hours, but I've never driven in metropolitan rush hour traffic. I never intend to do so either.

Tri-ZNate
02-12-2006, 10:32 PM
A tractor definatly helps you get ready to drive. Learning the clutch and how a machine acts, turns, and how to back up when its hauling a load helps when driving as well.

Old 179
02-12-2006, 10:54 PM

This was ment as that we would just roll over top of them cars in traffic jams to get to were we are going!!!!

TrikeKid
02-15-2006, 08:57 PM
i think every parent should teach their kids responsibility, take them out to drive a snowmobile, 4wheeler, 3wheeler, even a riding lawnmower. Mostly speaking at 17, i no that i am a better driver have driven wheelers for years now. Most girls i no aren't that good( and some guys) they all have the same thing in common, never drove anything before. Driving anything with wheels while young has helped me drive safer and learn it alot faster.
Also helps learn how to drive a vehicle without an automatic, 90% of the kids I know with licenses, have not even the slightest clue how to drive anything with a clutch. My dad grabbed some of the material my driving school teaches from while we were there, the book doesn't even mention how to operate a manual transmission. The explanation I've been given is that "You shouldn't have to focus on the vehicle you're driving, just the road", well, if you learn how to use a manual trans it just becomes second nature, there are times when I'm on a dirt bike and haven't realized I made a shift, even if it saved me from stalling in the middle of a hill or rock section.