PDA

View Full Version : You've got to be shittin me...I got selected for jury duty

Billy Golightly
02-10-2006, 04:42 PM
On the same day of the zoning hearing for my track I'm building :mad:

I got the letter and it gave an email address for the deputy clerk of court if you had an excuse. I just got done writing an email explaining I had the zoning hearing on that same day and that I would lose my $450 application fee, and also have to wait an additional 30 days before I could go before the zoning board. I dont care if I have to go in the day after or the week after but not the same damn day. Man what luck :rolleyes:

MTS
02-10-2006, 05:09 PM

I got the letter and it gave an email address for the deputy clerk of court if you had an excuse. I just got done writing an email explaining I had the zoning hearing on that same day and that I would lose my $450 application fee, and also have to wait an additional 30 days before I could go before the zoning board. I dont care if I have to go in the day after or the week after but not the same damn day. Man what luck :rolleyes:
What will they do if you dont go? :wondering

Red Rider
02-10-2006, 05:22 PM
Well that kinda sucks. I hope they'll work with ya on this, but as Forest Gump said, "It happens."

knsmodels
02-10-2006, 05:55 PM
they are pretty leinient on that stuff....they should reschedule without a problem in my experience...

Howdy
02-10-2006, 07:28 PM
What will they do if you dont go? :wondering

I have heard of Jail time if you just skip Jury duty. But, sometimes they will allow you to skip it if you have a Good reason. HondaATC has a good reason ( IMO ). ;)
Howdy

YAMAHA_Jim
02-10-2006, 08:38 PM
Billy, Why do you have to go to the town to get permission to build a track? I know its a requirement in some areas but you live right outside the middle of nowhere.

Last time I had jury duty was the week of 9-11-01. I didnt get called in until the day after 9-11. I had to sit and wait for hours wiht a bunch of other people for the judge or whoever to decide what would be done b/c the state troopers involved in the murder case were in NYC helping out down there.SO after about 3 hrs the guy on trial and his lawyer pleaded guilty and he got 25 to life.After that all the jurors were released. Its been 5 yrs so I'm sure I'll get picked again soon.I hate jury duty but will do it when I have to.

Billy Golightly
02-10-2006, 10:26 PM
Billy, Why do you have to go to the town to get permission to build a track? I know its a requirement in some areas but you live right outside the middle of nowhere.

Last time I had jury duty was the week of 9-11-01. I didnt get called in until the day after 9-11. I had to sit and wait for hours wiht a bunch of other people for the judge or whoever to decide what would be done b/c the state troopers involved in the murder case were in NYC helping out down there.SO after about 3 hrs the guy on trial and his lawyer pleaded guilty and he got 25 to life.After that all the jurors were released. Its been 5 yrs so I'm sure I'll get picked again soon.I hate jury duty but will do it when I have to.

Well, we're gonna try going the commercial route with the track and see how it turns out. And because we're doing that we're having to go through all the county stuff. I'm workin with 2 other guys that had already built a hella nice on here in town (Pictures of it can be found in the march issue of ATV Sport). The problem was, they built the track without doing the zoning stuff first and the county closed it down. So I got hooked up with them and we're doing all the legal stuff first now, and after thats done we're gonna start moving dirt. I called the clerks office a few minutes ago and left a message on the machine that echo'd my email. I really dont mind doing it as long as it doesnt interfere with my hearing...been planning that thing for the last couple months.

dizasterzrfun69
02-10-2006, 11:13 PM
At least it aint during the middle of Trikefest! :D You gotta be Optimistic! Well i hope they work something out for ya!

Kevin

Jeffro33
02-11-2006, 09:22 AM
Everytime I get called for jury duty I tell them I am working out of town that day and will not be able to show up. I have yet to be forced to go. Florida is really relaxed on stuff like that. I ain't going to sit there all day being bord and get pocket change for it.

wheelie king
02-11-2006, 10:26 AM
Billy-

Send them a copy of your zoning hearing date and emphasize to them the amount of $$$$$$$$$$ you will lose if you have to go to duty. They call that a "hardship excuse" down here. Anyway, I think you have a fair argument because you are already patronizing local governement both your $$$$ and time. Just happens to be the county zoning board instead of the courthouse!

Giving fake addys or just not showing up is, well, just plain stupid.

Good luck

Chrisbroeders
02-11-2006, 11:12 AM
just throw the letter away.. my dad does it all the time. they cant do anything if *Edited* never got the letter in the first place

NOS_350X
02-11-2006, 12:12 PM
I was on a 2 week jury duty trial in November and they only let one guy go for a hardship excuse (He said it was a verry classified govermnet job thing and he couldnt go so the judge made 2 calls and says ok go ahead and leave) I have herd of benchwarrents for you if you dont go.

Bryan Raffa
02-11-2006, 01:25 PM
man i really feal for you hope everything works out for you!!!!!!I dont have to worrie about that anymore Im a double felon!!! thats the only good thing about it ,suck that i can vote though!!!!!!!!!!good luck from an outlaw in NY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bluevetteguy
02-11-2006, 01:29 PM
I got called for jury duty and told them that I had moved out of the county and gave them a friend's address in another county:lol:

1984kxtTECATE
02-11-2006, 06:58 PM

you can always just say your biased some way some how, but you would still have to go to the court.

Jim mac
02-17-2006, 12:12 AM
Telling them you like to shoot things doesn't get you out of it. I got picked even after telling the lawyers I LIKE GUNS.

ScottZJ
02-17-2006, 09:12 AM
Well I have been called 3 times before and only gone once. The other 2 times they sent it to my parents address, so I just threw them away haha. The 3rd time they didnt want me cuz they asked what I felt about the death penalty. I told them a person shouldnt even have a trail and should be put to death immediately if there are 2 or more witness (on a murder/rape charge). Hehe needless to say they let me go.:wondering