PDA

View Full Version : Dentists are getting better at it !!

bigredhead
02-13-2006, 02:53 PM
Well... i just got back from the dentist.. had not been in that place in a long time..

I remember as a kid, sweatin bullets before i sat in the chair.. the pain and suffering of the needles.. drills.. spit pouring down your neck with your fingernails dug into the chair....... god i hate the dentist..

But i had a tooth that was killin me.. hot coffee or cold ice cream was horrible.. and i enjoy both soo much.. had to go.

Gota admit, it was not that bad.. they numb your gums with this purple stuff before they stick you with the needle.. cool... They now have WHITE fillings.. no *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* !!! and a TV stuck to the ceiling to TRY and distract you :rolleyes: .. and they give you sun glases to shield the spray from the drill work.. not bad !

I still cant feel half my face.. :lol:

nouseforaname90
02-13-2006, 05:09 PM
My dad had to have a root canal done last Friday and he said it was the worst pain he has ever felt in his life, and this is coming from a guy that gets cluster migraine headaches so bad that they have to knock him out with drugs so he can't feel the pain because it is unbearable. I hope I never need a root canal!!

Mobular
02-13-2006, 05:27 PM
I don't mind root canals. The dentist just has to use enough freezing. I once had an abcess so bad that the pain was maddening..couldn't even sleep. I went to the dentist and he took the pain away. Now I don't fear them at all, just be sure to get enough freezing. Ask until you can't feel anything!
Alternativley, you could be knocked out for the procedure!

nouseforaname90
02-13-2006, 05:39 PM
Well my dentist "doesn't believe" in pain killers. He'll give you morophine and stuff, but not much..

Mobular
02-13-2006, 07:03 PM
Time to change dentists then.............

bigredhead
02-13-2006, 07:52 PM
Time to change dentists then.............

I totally agree !!!!!

I had to have 3 windome teeth taken out.. 2 of wich had to be broken in pieces and cut out... I asked to be knocked out... it was a great idea !

When i was there.. he asked me once in a while " Does it hurt ? " probably by the look of my white knuckles at one point... and i'm like " Yeah.. but i can handle it as long as it's not much worse.. "

He told me : " May be ok with you, but not with me.. it's not supposed to hurt, it's ok to feel the work being done.. but should be no pain.. "

He gave me a bit more needle and i was fine the rest of the process..

Go see another dentist !

edog
02-13-2006, 08:00 PM
You know how the repair fillings these days?
They do it with a laser.Ya that's right a lazer.Then they just fill it and your dune.Takes all of 15 min.No pain numbing.:w00t:
I wounder if I could get one to remove paint and rust for restorations.LOL

bigredhead
02-13-2006, 08:03 PM
Ha.. last month i want for a checkup and a " Cleaning "..... they use a baking soda type SandBlaster !!!!.. christ that thing was awful... no kidding... Gave me a face shield and fired it up.. tasted pretty bad but worked awsome !!

Shoulda asked for a clear coat !

Old 179
02-13-2006, 09:52 PM
Had a impacted wisdom tooth taken out 25-28years ago, Dentist gave me morphine, told me i would feel like I would be in left field. Heck, I wasn't even in the ball park. No wonder people fools with that crap. La la la la la!!!!

Billy Golightly
02-13-2006, 10:36 PM
I got a filling done a couple months ago (Probably a year now?) and they gave me this weird paste stuff that kind dulled my taste and was a slight burn, then they gave me a needle injection with some number before they started grinding away. I only even felt anything twice when he hit the root of the tooth and I jerked a tiny bit but it wasnt really all that uncomfortable. I was sweatin it big time but it wasn't that big of a deal after all.

nouseforaname90
02-13-2006, 10:43 PM
My dad told me about this nifty new thing the dentist told him about when he was there. I guess now they have this machine that, after the dentist has done the root canal and everything, they put it in your mouth and it automatically measures the size of the hole. Then instead of the dentist just filling in the hole, this machine automatically creates a plug that looks like a tooth that fits perfectly in a hole. This way, there is no filling to break, and the tooth lasts longer and is solid.
I thought it was pretty awesome. The dentist said that a machine like this costs upwards of $40,000 and he said that it is not sensible for him to buy one right now because then he would have to charge alot more for root canals.

ATC crazy
02-14-2006, 12:41 PM
I had an abcess done not too long ago. The worst part was when they stuck the needle in my gums to numb it. Other than that...it felt just plain wierd when they ripped the nerves out. Kinda stomach twisting....