PDA

View Full Version : Redneck frame straightener

YAMAHA_Jim
02-15-2006, 07:57 PM
Today I decided to untweak my blaster. After taking the motor out I gathered up a few chains,wood blocks,pipe,and a cumalong and went to work. I used the blocks between the rear wheel and the wall and the pipe between the front of the blaster and the wall. The I hooked the cumalong up to the wall and the blaster. After putting alot of tension on it,I heated it up and hammered the frame out where the chain is around it.Then I cranked on the cumalong a lil more and repeated a few times.After about 1/2 hr I had it straight again, might not be 100% but good enough to take back out on Thunderdome.I went to go one more click on the cumalong and the cement block under the wall ripped apart and out of the wall.lol I pulled it out enough so that the right wheel is 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch more forward than the left f wheel. This helps the machine turn left easier.I'm also going to be adding a few gussets where the frame bent since it is now a weak spot.
Looks ugly now but when I'm done it will be beautius maximus.I also have plans to cut the left rear fender off completely and build a new fender off the frame and down closer to the tire, that way I have alot more room to lean off the machine when turning.Right now my big arse bent the stock fender mount back and down and its ready to snap off the frame.

I also messed around a bit with the blaster motor in the Z frame.I couldnt believe how snug it sits in there,Even the LRD pipe is real close to fitting. All the motor needs is a few front mounts.Then I'd have to find an exaust that doesnt interfere with the front tire.
Anywho,,,thats how I spent my last day off from work..I'm finally starting to see again w/ my left eye :)

YAMAHA_Jim
02-18-2006, 11:02 AM
Speechless heh?,
Sorry for the crude method of torturing a quad but I got err done :) I call it reconstructive surgery.

,,,,errr was it the 200cc air cooled Tri-Z that has everyone wondering???

wheelie king
02-18-2006, 12:25 PM
That's pretty darn fancy. I applaud your resourcefulness

Jason Hall
02-18-2006, 12:28 PM
What ever works to get the job done. When I poured the concrete in my barn I put some chain down & drooped it through some 2" pipe. I have 2 of them about 12 feet apart they work great on quad frames & straightening lots of other stuff. One of my tecate frames I had was bent the same way as your blaster. Looks like you got er pulled back nice.

MIK6
02-18-2006, 03:43 PM
Jim that blasterZ looks like alot of fun. Were you just setting it in or is this something you are building? I have alot of faith in that little 200 after seeing what you do on your blaster.

MIK6 / Mike

Wickedfinger
02-18-2006, 03:50 PM
I pulled it out enough so that the right wheel is 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch more forward than the left f wheel. This helps the machine turn left easier.LOL .... Jims secret weapon mod for Quadracing V1.0

YAMAHA_Jim
02-19-2006, 03:28 AM
Chains in the floor-good idea.
I just threw the motor in the Z frame to see how it fit,the swingarm bolt goes throught the motor perfect,spacers would be needed to take up a bit of space between the motor and swngarm. The front motor mounts wouldnt be too hard to make.It would be a fun trike to build and ride.It would be more suited for the trailriding that I do vs. MX racing.
Wickedfinger- Competing against BIG 4 strokes,I need every secret weapon I can find. I was going for the full 1 inch difference when i was pulling the frame out, but I didnt want to break the frame.
secret weapon (version 2.0)lol ,,,I run 18 lbs in the left tires and 28 lbs in the right tires.
As for what I put on my tires to make them stick, thats more top secret than area 51,hehe

smokinwrench
02-19-2006, 09:45 AM
I would like to see how a blaster would perform with a tri z motor in it.