PDA

View Full Version : Motor, shipping ?

YAMAHA_Jim
02-15-2006, 08:10 PM
I've never sent a motor out before.Is it best to box it up in a wooden crate or package it up tight in a cardboard box? Personally I feel better knowing its safe in a sealed wooden crate and not getting tossed around in a cardboard box This would be a blaster motor. Just wondering whats the best way to go, thanx

Tri-ZNate
02-15-2006, 08:15 PM
Try not to ship it in cardboard. I have had 3 engines now get the sidecases cracked due to inpropper shiping practices (i.e. Cardboard boxes.)

mike from long island
02-15-2006, 08:36 PM
hey jim

if you are shipping throgh the UPS box it up in a wooden box. i asked the local UPS place,they said it is better that way. and cheaper then a rubbermaid tote. i have shipped numerous motors in a rubbernmaid tote. i grab then on sale at the local walmart. pack the helll outta them and havent had any problems. just make sure to put a few layers of cardboard on the bottom of the motor. if they drop it down hard, the oil drain could break the case. the cardboard will cushion the motor. feel free to go the extra mile it pays in the end. i just recieved my 350x motor from UPS. the wooden box was all busted up. but he put a lot of cardboard on the bottom. it saved the motor. the sprocket cover and decompression cable bracket got bent. but otherwise no to much to complain about lol how you feeling by the way??? take it slow :D later mike

danteross77
02-16-2006, 04:56 PM
I have never shipped through ups, because they are too expensive. I have shipped several motors through Fed Ex Ground and they have all arrived well, I used a heavy duty double layered cardboard box and then I took atleast 5 layers of cardboard on all sides of the motor, then packed every space with packaging paper. Seal the box and put metal shipping bands around the box so it is easy to carry(Hint: if it is easy to carry it will not be slamed down so hard)

bigredhead
02-16-2006, 05:14 PM
A rubermaid container is a good idea.. how heavy is it ?

Wedge it in there with cardboard and zip tie the lid on .. ( drill holes and use multiple zip ties !! )

Write the address info on the thing with a black marker or liquid paper if it's a black r-maid.. labels tend to peel of those easily.

YAMAHA_Jim
02-16-2006, 07:59 PM
Thanks guys,
I'm guessing the motor weighs 60-70 lbs. I didnt check into shipping costs yet.If its that much I'll just drive it there and pick it up when its ready.Only about 6 hrs one way.

bigredhead
02-16-2006, 10:44 PM
If it's that close .. it may not bee too much to ship. ( Consider gas cost and go from there )

grundlegrabber
02-17-2006, 12:18 AM
Shouldn't cost you too much to ship it that close. I've shipped several motors thru UPS, had a few shipped to me and no problems yet.
I usually use a rubbermaid tote or a heavy carboard box. Survival depends more on the packaged part inside the container, and the taping of the container, not so much the container itself. I pack the engine in foam all around. I use that soft forming foam with the silver plastic wrapping (it comes in radiator boxes, and whenever we replace radiators at the shop I steal the foam). You can also wrap it up in tons of bubble wrap, or use the white styrofoam that is commonly used in packing appliances and electronics. Take the spark plug out of the motor (it will poke thru the package if you don't) and plug the hole. When taping up the package, be sure to use the fiberglass reinforced strapping tape and wrap it tightly, all the way around, as if it were a band. I have a banding machine and often use plastic bands as well, but the fiberglass tape works well by itself if you use enough.
A wooden crate will work too, but you still have to use tons of packing material to keep it safe. The monkeys that work in the shipping terminals don't care about your motor. They toss and throw stuff all around. The package will get inverted, rolled, laid sideways, and anything else they can do to it. You have to keep this in mind when packaging. And yes, it's true, if the package is easier to lift and handle, it's less likely to get rolled, drug, or slammed.
Sorry to be so long-winded, but if you want it to be safe, do it right! And make sure the package is insured for the full value of what's inside! Good luck!