PDA

View Full Version : Oil-injected 2 stroke quads

TravEX
02-16-2006, 11:33 PM
Do you have to get the oil injector block off if you wanted to run pre-mix? Could you just run the oil tank dry or crimp it off and run your pre-mix?

Long story, but a friend is trying to find the culprit for a problem, and I suggested running pre-mix for a while to see if it fixed it.

kloby
02-17-2006, 12:46 AM
Yes, if your gonna pre-mix your gas, get a block-off plate. If not you'll be fouling plugs left and right. And that is the first thing i would do w/ a auto-injection. you never know when it might break and then you'll have nothing more than a worthless engine on 4-wheels.

smokinwrench
02-17-2006, 02:01 AM
You don't have to have a block off plate.

All you have to do is unhook all oil injections lines and plug them off, make sure you seal off the line to the carb. Drain the gas tank and install premixed gas. Block off plate does nothing but eliminate the outer portion of the pump, so it is more or less just a bling factor thing.

TravEX
02-17-2006, 09:08 AM
Thanks Smokin.

TravEX
02-17-2006, 10:48 PM
What is the oil injector ratio set at on a Scrambler 400, I think it's different at certain RPM's right?

Wickedfinger
02-18-2006, 01:49 AM
I would get the block off plate kit from RCR or Hotseat Trav, it frees up a little horsepower but only if you remove the whole pump. I've always heard that they are quite inprecise, ranging anywhere from a 20 to 30:1 ratio. The real problem lies in the fact that it gets dumped in past the carb. I say dumped because thats what it is - dribbled into the in-rushing charge.

TravEX
02-18-2006, 09:54 AM
That may be the problem right there. My buddy bought a left over 2000 model that had sat new at the dealor for about 18 monthes. Get a heck of a deal. He's had it for over 4 years, no problems, but it has always 'loaded up' after it idles for a minute and takes about 30 ft for it to clear out when he takes off. The quad runs fine, would sit there and idle all day long. He has tried different plugs, air filters, air screw adjustments, idle adjustments, nothing helps. I told him to drain the oil tank and pre-mix some gas and lower his plug gap to .020 to .024 and try that. Could he try that without the block-off plate? Or will it cause problems?

Thanks,

Travis

Wickedfinger
02-18-2006, 04:41 PM
No problems, just plug up the pump lines and especially the nipple (or is it a banjo?) on the reed cage intake. I think though, his problem might be the one that alot of pingers have in general about idle loading - oil from the charge builds up at the bottom of the crankcase and gets caught up in the pipe/silencer at idle. My Scrammy does it too - just something I've learned to live with. A quick blast for a few yards or a doughnut or two clears it out fine. If youre in tight woods at low speeds, I just blip the throttle (like on a Banshee) every 5 - 10 seconds or so to bring on some RPMs. If it has stock clutching with a normal back shift helix/spring, he should have no problems doing this because of the slower engagement - but on mine, lag time is zero, so it'll take of if youre not careful about planning it (ie - not before a sharp turn with a 1000ft drop .... lol).

TravEX
02-18-2006, 05:49 PM
Thanks again!