PDA

View Full Version : Hard starting checklist.

chris200x
02-23-2006, 08:10 PM
Well I'm back at it again with this POS grizzly. :mad: :lol:

This is what i did:

Adjust valves to with in spec... they seemed pretty off especially on the exhaust side.

Bench tested electric starter. Spins nicely

After putting fresh gas in the tank I tried starting it and it just clicked. So i charged the battery.

Tried again... just kept cranking and cranking... and cranking... It don't even sound like it's trying to fire. So this is where I'm at. the battery is dead again so It's back on the charger.

Any suggestions on what else I can do before I burn this thing into a pile of ash... :wondering

brapp
02-23-2006, 09:42 PM
give it back to the origional owner 03 orangeshee and tell him to fix it. it ran when i got it of fhim. i blew the tranny apart, trade dit for a 250r, he rebuilt the tranny and did stuff with the motor and what now it dont run? send it back to south of the mason dixon line lol.

sblt500r
02-24-2006, 01:59 PM
you didn't adjust the vavles to tight? would cause a loss of compresion and it won't start.

i would pull the carb, if you haven't already, and make sure the gas didn't turn ro a sludge. and just generally spray all the jets out.

did you have the key on?? lol

03 ORANGE SHEE
02-24-2006, 02:52 PM
i had that 600 for a while and loved it, i put a new $40 coil on it, and that was it, never had a hard starting problem til i lost spark one day, bought a coil and never had any hard starting problems again, i had the normal odd starting /grinding sound when i hit the button, and the noisy belt whine (my 660 does this and its new!)the hole by the seat latch was for back up light, thats where the switch went
if i hit deep water it would die and have to be towed out, but the was seat height, not top of tire height, maybe its vapor locking or something in the carb needs cleaned..:wondering

brapp
02-24-2006, 03:45 PM
i didnt loose any nuts or bolts, i never took a tool to it exept to put a bely on it , and change the oil. but other than thatdunno what to tell you.

oh ps. if it runs and dies on you try a swift kick to the tire and yank on the pull starter really stupid like. i rember nathans jaw drop when it fired when i was beign a smartass when i just pulled it after 20 min of cranking lol. but is there a posibility that the cdi could be off somehow and causing hard starting problems? and if you wanna give it away mabey i would take it back . but dont expect any money lol

chris200x
02-24-2006, 04:03 PM
Your a funny guy!!! :lol:

Well I got some reciepts with this quad... A new top end and cdi. Dated last May. So i don't know....

I'm gonna pull the carb off. Cause I really didin't smell any gas when I was trying to fire it up. I guess I'll pull the plug too and check for spark. It's a real pain gettin that plug out thats for sure. :rolleyes:

thanks guys... I'll let you know what happens.

chris200x
02-24-2006, 05:56 PM
Oh orangeshee. I lined the bottom of the tank and the inside of the headersheild with that hi temp aluminum tape stuff. Bob, mentioned something about it vapor locking but it's never happened when i rode it (like an hour) I also took off all the weird vent tubes that run off the drive belt and airbox. There was some mud in there. But someone on a previous post I had mentioned something about making sure they were clean.

I was wondering about that weird winding noise... I guess I don't have to worry about that.

The thing that has me stumped is this thing fired right up when i first got it. But like I stated it's been sitting here all apart... I'll figure this thing out yet.

Oh, Shawn. I got this valve adjustment down pat now... I got it to where the feeler just slides in and out from underneath the rocker with a little bit of resistance. And YES the key is on. :rolleyes: But it took me a good 5 minutes to realize that the gas was shut off on the petcock. :eek: :lol:

03 ORANGE SHEE
02-24-2006, 09:56 PM
the starter always made that grinding noise on startup
and the winding/grinding sound on the belt side had always made that noise
my dealer said it could be a pulley bearing worn, but i never wanted to spend the money to have the cases split to install a $20 bearing

Chrisbroeders
03-01-2006, 03:01 PM
dump that pos and get yourself a nice honda

chris200x
03-01-2006, 03:16 PM
dump that pos and get yourself a nice honda

Best advice I've gotten yet! :lol:

I've givin up all hope on this and I think after seeing this auction and seeing how much it went with a blown motor...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4615729529&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

I think mine will be on ebay shortly as well. ;)

chris200x
03-02-2006, 05:58 PM
Well I just cannot leave this thing alone. :)

I believe I've found my problem. Seems I accidently poured gas that was mixed with 2 stroke oil (green in color) into the tank. so I'm guessing that is why it won't start. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :lol: Can I be correct in thinking this?

I'm gonna have to drain that all out of there and try some new stuff. Will that bother anything? :rolleyes: or is there anything else i should do before i try restarting it?

brapp
03-02-2006, 06:34 PM
i actualy run 50:1 mix in my metal tank trikes to keep them from rusting while sitting. and it wont make a diffrence. sorry to burst your bubble. but what ould be your problem is do you have a nice fat blue spark? is there fuel getting to the carb is there fuel getting into the motor and on the plug. is the carb set up to stock specs for propper fuel mixture. if you want i'll let ya know next time i am up that way.and could give you a hand if *Edited* want?

chris200x
03-02-2006, 07:31 PM
well I have no idea what the carb settings are or anything like that. The screw that holds the intake boot to the carb (on the clamp) is severly stripped. I gotta go get EZ outs at lowes tomorrow.. there always nice to have around anyway. I'll take the carb off and clean that up. I gotta pick up a couple new plugs as well.

When I tried starting it up last week I had the choke on and was cranking and didn't smell any gas.

nouseforaname90
03-02-2006, 09:26 PM
Did you try putting some gas in the spark plug hole and seeing if it will even attempt to fire? If it atleast sounds like it wants to fire when you put gas in the plug hole, I think its down to something being wrong with the carb or fuel delivery.

TimSr
03-02-2006, 09:28 PM
Have you pulled the plug, checked for spark, and replaced the plug? Im assuming you would do this before tearing anything apart, or doing valve adjustments, but Im just making sure. Simple problems tend to get over thought sometimes. .. and yes, it will run with 2 stroke mix. It may smoke more than usual, and may have a tendancy to foul plugs but it will run.

blowfishct
03-03-2006, 10:50 AM
Chris, Like I told you I had the motor rebuilt,all the wireing was redone the carb was rebuilt and I had to put a new shaft in the rear of the trans. The guy I got it from brapp forgot to tell me some stuff about the bike like it had no compression but its my fault for tradeing. Like I told you before I gave you the slips on it. I had the same problem with it. It would run get hot and would not start. If there is anything I do to help you just let me know I dont what any body to hate me over a trade. just call me or e-mail me.

chris200x
03-03-2006, 10:56 AM
Hey buddy! I'm not mad at all. Besides... the 200x wasn't in the best of shape as well. I'm just fed up with this thing is all.

soon as the weather warms up we gonna ride? You got anything that runs?

Tim, It ran before it took it apart. The whole front end pretty much has to come off this thing to get at the motor. I just thought that if it ran before i took it apart it would fire right up after i put it together. But I guess from sitting the carb got gummed up or something... I'm sure I'll figure it out.

blowfishct
03-03-2006, 11:01 AM
Ye I got something that runs I broke down and bought a 2004 400ex. This summer well go I took a look at that pargon race park 140 miles of trails I be there Its about a 3 hour ride from here but a sone as the weather brakes I'm there. And I'm glad your not mad at me.

chris200x
03-03-2006, 11:09 AM
Nea, It ain't you i have the problem with... its yamaha!!! :lol: :beer

I just thought one of you three guys that previously owned this might be able to give some insight as to what I can do to fix it.

brapp
03-03-2006, 01:47 PM
do what i did roll it down a hill. i know something locked up in it and just wanted it gone i got sick of seeign it sit there. but blowfish ct the trike i traded bit me back for ya. i shattered my wrist on it and almost ruined my life. i had to sell 5 of my trikes to pay for the hospital bills and the surgery and 8 months of lost work. so i dont think either one of us was a winner in that deal. but the motor did run good when i rode it. i could wheelie the grizz for ever. and it had plenty of power. but i never know it had low compression but i did know somethign broke and i didnt wanna mess with ti.

chris200x
03-03-2006, 02:08 PM
now now kids... fight nice. :D

I'm not blaming anyone for anything here... :beer I've also been known to abuse a atv or two in my day as well. :naughty:

If I made it sound like I was blaming anyone for anything I apologize... Like I said no hard feelings. :)

I'm still contemplating putting it on ebay and let someone else fix it but I've grown quite attached to it. I would like to have it for hunting season.

brapp
03-03-2006, 04:07 PM
well i normaly take pretty good care of my machines, but that was mainly my girlfriends at ther times quad, and i used it for hunting but the girl left i took it out riding once blew somethign up in the tranny it ended up skiding down the hill and rolling on its throttle side hard, bent racks back and gave up on it. but i changed the oil in it regularly, washed it and serviced it regular. i tend to be on a 3 month service scedule but i havent ridden much so ii have been every 1,000 mile sor 4 months.but i am more than willign to help if you wanan gettogether soem wekend.

chris200x
03-03-2006, 04:21 PM
I woulda lova toa geta togethers somsetimes... :lol: :lol: :lol:

sorry man... But your typing cracks me up sometimes! :beer

Watching the weather... looks like it might hit 60 by next weekend! :Bounce

If i could get those darn screws loose on the carb i can get that cleaned up. Still havent got a plug for it yet either,,, I think I should be ok though.

Give me a hollar when your heading up this way... I'll ride with ya. :naughty:

TimSr
03-03-2006, 05:38 PM
Chris, like I said, simple problems tend to get over thought. Always begin the troubleshooting flow chart with removing the plug, and checking for spark. A spark plug can foul in about 15 seconds, or may even foul without the bike running at all, just by trying to start it. Checking this cuts your possibilities in half. If you have no spark, or your plug is fouled, cleaning your carb wont help, and a fouled plug is a lot more likely.

chris200x
03-15-2006, 09:31 PM
Well I Finally got a new plug... I wonder why I can't get a champion plug for this grizz or my sx for that matter anymore... all the local bike shops carry NGK's anymore :wondering Anyways I have spark but it still wont start. http://smilies.storagebin.us/smilies/aargh.gif What em I missing here. I was told it may be the stator... BUt it started and ran before I took it apart a while back??? I did however discover this. A large chunk missing from the boot. It seems like its really loose when it's installed on the plug as well. can this be my problem perhaps? I'm guessing this will need replacing anyways. IDK... I still dont smell any gas when I choke it or let it sit and give it gas while trying to start it.

chris200x
03-16-2006, 09:44 PM
http://smilies.storagebin.us/smilies/bs2.gifWell I was just sniped on ebay on a good used coil. I've checked bikebandit and they want Almost 29 bucks just for the boot. Anyone have a good quad partts link they can give me. One I get this piece replaced I will be able to eliminate this as the problem... any other ideas?

ebecme01
03-23-2006, 04:01 PM
I'm surprised noone has posted this yet. That chunk out of the boot can cause the spark to arch to the outside of the engine instead of making the spark plug spark. wrap the boot with electrical tape enough to cover the missing piece until you can replace it. The spark will always take the path of least resistance, so that has to be fixed for sure. You really should tape that up, set the plug so it is grounded to the bike somewhere metal, then turn the engine over with the key on and the switch set to "run". If you have spark, spray a little carb cleaner or starting fluid in the spark plug hole and put the plug in. it should fire for a few seconds. I doubt the carburetor got gummed up in that short time, but with the 2 stroke gas, maybe. That boot may be the problem. Lets hope anyway.

chris200x
03-23-2006, 05:36 PM
lol.. thanks for the reply. I was starting to wonder if anyone used this forum anymore! I kinda figured that the boot would have to be replaced. But I didn't think it would effect anything really. My thinking was it might be a if I were to get water down in there from riding that might cause some problems. I had no idea it would cause the spark to arch like that.

blowfishct
03-30-2006, 09:34 AM
Chris, I changed the coil on that and put a universil coil and it would not start I got the specks on the factory coil and did the test with a meter and its was normal. You starting to sound like me I was going to strip that thing down and sell the parts on ebay. Its crazy you seen me rideing the thing for god sake we pulled the 200x down the road with it. Just reading your post makes me crazy. I am so sorry for trading you that thing. at one point I strarted my chain saw and was going to cut it up in little pieces. Well if there is anything I can do for you please let me know. Once again sorry!

chris200x
03-30-2006, 09:50 AM
LOLOLOL... Bobby,,, You seem to have taking this thread the wrong way.. BUDDY! :rolleyes: Listen I posted this thread for help.. Not to bash you or josh or nathan for that matter. I left you good back in that FB forum. I'm still tinkled pink about the deal as I would never be able to afford a quad like this. I too get fed up with things quickly and this machine was on ebay for a couple days. I pulled it because someone here said it might only be the plug boot thats making it difficult. I love the quad , I rode it myself for about an hour after you left. so i knew it ran... My problem now is it wont start...THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYONE ON THESE BOARDS !!! I posted this in hopes one of you guys can help me.

I have the new boot on order and will be here in a couple days...

Oh and BOB, Why don't you tell everyone what was wrong with the 200x that i traded for this.. lol:eek: :lol: If it makes you feel better. lol Like I said I had no intention of bashing the deal we made.. I posted in hopes that i can find someone to help. THAT IS ALL!!! I really want to get this quad going but since I got my sx,, this has been on the backburner for a while.

When i get the new boot I'll put it on and hopefully that will be the problem. If not expect to see more grizzly 600 threads in the future. :beer

Rm250RF900R
03-30-2006, 09:50 AM
Figures. Its a yamaha :lol:

diggerzmound
03-30-2006, 12:46 PM
Check for spark with a new plug...

Clean the carb..

Try once to spray a lil carb cleaner in the carb see if it starts.. If it does, its a fuel problem, if it doesn't its either timing or spark.

bbbanshee rider
03-30-2006, 01:26 PM
get a compresion test to see if you have any because those grizzly are very fragile in deep water and if you get some in the motor it run like crap forever

_________

1999 highly mod banshee

blowfishct
03-30-2006, 03:03 PM
No chris I dont think your bashing me at all I just HATE that grizzly. I would like to buy it back so I can use it as a boat achor. lol. Hay just an FYI stripers are comeing to the back bays now take out the rods and come on down to jersey well hit the water and catch some fish. PS I will not tell one person on this site what the problem with the 200x was thats our little joke on the side. LOL

chris200x
03-30-2006, 03:46 PM
Boat anchor?! :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol: Funny stuff. ;) I think I'll be good to go as soon as i replace that boot.. couple more days.

I'm anxiuos to see if that little 250sx will go where the quad can.:twisted:

chris200x
03-30-2006, 03:52 PM
Figures. Its a yamaha :lol:

:eek: :wondering ... ..... ..:lol:

bbbanshee rider
03-30-2006, 04:43 PM
at least it not a honda:crazy:

1999 highly mod banshee

chris200x
03-31-2006, 12:53 PM
:Bounce :D Well since it's so nice out today and I have no work.. I decided to put a lil' gas in a spray bottle... sprayed some in the carb.. choked it and turned the key.. :w00t: She Fired Right Up!!! :eek: http://smilies.storagebin.us/smilies/guitarist.gif http://smilies.storagebin.us/smilies/moreek.gif So this is a carb problem I presume? ... Boy that thing sure does look intimidating... alot diffrent that that little 200x carb I rebuilt (with everyones help!) a while back...

blowfishct
03-31-2006, 01:46 PM
Cris your going to kill me but I took that carb and rebulilt it I cound not get it off the bike I also changed the jets in it because I was thinking that it came from a higher elavation that down in south jersey and that did not work so I put the jets back in it.

chris200x
03-31-2006, 01:52 PM
Cris your going to kill me but I took that carb and rebulilt it I cound not get it off the bike I also changed the jets in it because I was thinking that it came from a higher elavation that down in south jersey and that did not work so I put the jets back in it.

Yea, Ive noticed some messed up screws there on the carb. I need some EZouts or an impact driver to get them out. :wondering ... So the stock jetting is in there correct? I should just leave the jetting alone then? seems I also need a new battery cause this one only cranks for a bit then dies.. Thanks for the help!

chris200x
03-31-2006, 01:59 PM
ok. one other thing. There is deffintly gas leaving the tank. I took the end of the hose off and turned the gas on the petcock to on... so I don't think anything in there is blocked up. Has to be the carb right?

blowfishct
03-31-2006, 02:39 PM
The stock jets are in it. I cleaned out the tank a couple of times there is something in the tank the peice of the gas gage its a long steel rod I cound not get it out it does not seem to block any thing off.

chris200x
03-31-2006, 05:42 PM
Does someone know what the black slide inside the carb is? It's not moving if I pull the throttle or the choke cable... Isn't that supposed to slide up and down? I really dont want to take this carb off if i dont' have to but do you think a cable or something is broke or missing?

New2ATC
04-01-2006, 11:18 AM
On most carbs I have cleaned, that would be the slide that the throttle cable hooks to, and when you push in the throttle, its supposed to go up with that little needle. Id say get a new throttle cable and see if it works..

chris200x
04-01-2006, 05:34 PM
But I can't seem to locate that black slide on the microfische. Take a look.. I think it's a diaphram..whatever in ther hell that is.

http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/showschematic~dept_id~403225.asp

HELP!!!

Rm250RF900R
04-01-2006, 07:30 PM
Could it be #4?

sblt500r
04-01-2006, 11:10 PM
it would be #4 which they call a valve. 2 is the diaphragm. your cable doesn't attatch to the "valve", it attatches to the side of the carb. i would say thats a vacuum carb.

you have the manual, whats it say about the carb????????:wondering

chris200x
04-02-2006, 12:01 PM
Well, A little update. I was just out there messing around with this again. I sprayed a bunch of carb cleaner down through the gas line. Hit the ignition and it fired up. it ran good a couple minutes on it's own. Then I decided to spray some more cleaner in through the intake... Well, lets just say I got the carb off!!! LMAO!!! It backfired and blew the carb right off the intake..lol

I have no idea what that #4 thingy is but I was giving it gas and it was revving and idling good. w00t! So my guess is it was just a clogged up jet?

sblt500r
04-02-2006, 01:11 PM
i would get some carb/injector cleaner and pour some in the tank. and if you can get it running i would take it for a ride, around your house and run it hard to try and clear the carb out. and don't spray carb cleaner in the carb while its running:eek:

chris200x
04-02-2006, 01:17 PM
lol... Well, I found that out the hard way... :lol: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

She's purrin like a kitten. ;) :w00t: All I have left to do is get the one axle nut off to inspect the rear brakes to see why they're not working. Still waiting on that new spark plug boot. (thanks shawn) then put it all back together. Looks like I'll need to replace the air filter as well. Thanks for everyone's help! :beer

One last thing.. Since I'm poor.. any way to glue or fix up that filter?

sblt500r
04-02-2006, 09:50 PM
put a sock over it!!

bbbanshee rider
04-03-2006, 08:38 PM
put a pre filter on it it only obout 6 bucks and will kept all quinse of debris from entering the motor:idea:

1999 highly mod banshee

chris200x
04-03-2006, 08:43 PM
Two very good ideas. It would only be a temporary thing. Gonna eventually get a k&n but there like $40. :eek:

Since were on the subject of air filters... Can gear oil be used as a replacement for the regular filter oil?

sblt500r
04-03-2006, 09:02 PM
Two very good ideas. It would only be a temporary thing. Gonna eventually get a k&n but there like $40. :eek:

Since were on the subject of air filters... Can gear oil be used as a replacement for the regular filter oil?

you shouldn't use gear oil. it will just drip right off. air filter oil has a tackyness made into it so it sticks to the filter.

try some contact cement to stick that part of the filter back together then put an outerwear over it.

do you really think you need a k+n filter? a $18 uni should work fine.

chris200x
04-03-2006, 09:18 PM
you shouldn't use gear oil. it will just drip right off. air filter oil has a tackyness made into it so it sticks to the filter.

try some contact cement to stick that part of the filter back together then put an outerwear over it.

do you really think you need a k+n filter? a $18 uni should work fine.

I just need something to keep dirt out of that carb. I hate carburators! :rolleyes: :lol: I gotta do some research to see if I can find one of those outerwear thingies... This air filter is pretty long.

I have a K&N on my sx and like it alot. real easy to clean and maintian, but right now I need rear brake pads.. so that is first. Should be ready to rip by next week. :w00t:

sblt500r
04-03-2006, 10:41 PM
well i just said not to use it because it will make a mess out of your air box, when all the oil drips to the bottom of it.

i have a k+n on my 500, i like it, you don't have to clean it that much because thats what its made for! and yes i would also say that they are easier to clean and oil than a foam filter!!

blowfishct
04-04-2006, 07:55 AM
Man Chris I'm glad its running for you good luck. I guess I'm back in your good graces. :)

chris200x
04-04-2006, 11:04 AM
Man Chris I'm glad its running for you good luck. I guess I'm back in your good graces. :)

Not quite!! :lol: ;)

MTUz400nate
04-04-2006, 11:54 AM
you could just skip the prefilter until you get your k&n and use a peice of pantyhose on that filter, i have heard they work fairly well at blocking debris.