PDA

View Full Version : I need you opinions (autism)

xd 200x
02-24-2006, 10:28 AM
My nephew has autism. He is 5 anyway here is the deal. He is the smartest kid I have ever been around. He just does not talk to people he does not trust and will not let people touch him He does not trust. Here is the deal. I am 4 hours away from home so I only see him when I go home. He loves to ride my auto x with me. I mean he loves that thing. My brother would be pissed if he found out that I let him ride with me on my auto x. He knows how to shift an brake and turn.
We put him on a raptor 60 at my friends shop and he rode around indoors. I mean he does not scare me at all.
I just feel that they are treating him like he is going to get hurt. So I am just about to buy him a old zinger and keep it at the shop and not tell them. They were pissed when they found out about the 2 wheeled bike I got him when he was 4. He can ride that like a mad man. My brother thought he was not ready for that but we did that in secret too. He was done with the training wheels in a week. My brother was amazed when he walked out in the garage and got on and rode around.
So I figure I will just do the same with the zinger. I figured as long as they dont know it wont hurt them right? am I wrong here. Before I do this I would like some input on whether I am really over stepping my bounds or not. His "theropist" told them he would not ride a bike untill he was 8 or 9 if ever. I proved that to be crap. I just think of it like this how many puzzels can he really do before he gets bored. If Im wrong someone tell me so, because as of now Im doing it. I figure when I get home next year I can work with him more untill he gets to the point he can run mini class. (are there rules against this) Then we will tell them.
Ideas guys

bigredhead
02-24-2006, 11:24 AM
Be careful here... i had an autistic nephew and traumatic things can really cause problems and take alot of time to get over...

IF he ever wipes.. he may just get up and keep going. or he may throw a fit and totally freak.... this is the problem.

I know you like to make him happy and he loves to ride.. no doubt about it.. but he's not your kid.. so you have to respect the parents wishes..

I would seriously get his parents to sit down with you and convince them of the benefits.. pros and cons.. and with their consent go ahead with the zinger..

Don't do it behind their back !

my 0.02

girlsride2
02-24-2006, 12:22 PM
I have to agree, don't do it behind their backs. This has a-lot more potential danger than the bike did. Consider this... if anything should happen, they may never forgive you and you may never forgive yourself. I agree that he may have the time of his life which is wonderful, but keep in mind his parents are probably more aware of his boundries than you are. Try to talk to them first.

knsmodels
02-24-2006, 12:24 PM
Be careful here... i had an autistic nephew and traumatic things can really cause problems and take alot of time to get over...

IF he ever wipes.. he may just get up and keep going. or he may throw a fit and totally freak.... this is the problem.

I know you like to make him happy and he loves to ride.. no doubt about it.. but he's not your kid.. so you have to respect the parents wishes..

I would seriously get his parents to sit down with you and convince them of the benefits.. pros and cons.. and with their consent go ahead with the zinger..

Don't do it behind their back !

my 0.02

Gotta agree......as much as it hurts

ATCWRENCH
02-24-2006, 12:33 PM
does your brother ride at all? if so, bring that point up the next time you talk to him about your nephew.

I remember when I first started to learn how to ride, me and 2 of my buddies would go out and I would be between them the whole ride. one would obvously lead while the other followed to make sure I wasnt left behind if i did crash. If your brother is that scetchy about his son riding anything, bring this point up and if he decides to go through with it, make him follow so he can see how well his son rides.

I have a friend who has an autistic kid and he his a brain, but he is also 9 with the mentality of a 2 year old. yea I know it sounds like a contradiction, but its true. He also has to touch everything, doesnt matter what it is, he has to touch it.

daputz
02-24-2006, 12:37 PM
It sounds like you have a good idea how the "fun" uncle should be. Do not step on the parents toes.....................try to insure them that he is safe and well cared for while he is learning the joy's of powered sports.

My oldest son is autistic................treat them/him like everyone else.

He does not pick up on social cues like expression, body language and voice tone..........very frustrating,:cry: You have to tell him when you are mad, sad or disapointed and explain why.

We treat him like our other children (3) and let him ask the ques (he is 9). The more you treat him as "special" the farther away from "social norm" he will act and expect. If your nephew is a kick azz rider......................LET HIM RIDE, it will be a good outlet for him later in life as the rest of social interactions (people in general) frustrate him.

Just like any child, keep a close eye and reign the riding (or any other activity) in when the child goes beyond their "safe" abilities...........let them take there tumbles, just not at a level that is gonna cuase serious injury.

Somekindofjerk
02-24-2006, 01:16 PM
Go for it, just make sure you explain to him how important safety is and what not. He'll be fine though im sure. Great job man.

bigredhead
02-24-2006, 01:21 PM
Go for it, just make sure you explain to him how important safety is and what not. He'll be fine though im sure. Great job man.

He's autistic..... logic does not compute like you and me.. they are very intelligent in their own way... He may understand.. but not every one is the same in this regard.. it can be hard to understand.

I know a few autistic kids and one can recite movie credits by heart.. has pages and pages of movie credits printed out.. ask him who played x character in x year from x movie..... he will walk to the pile and pull the page like a magic trick.

ask him what 2 x 2 equals.... he don't have a clue.

daputz
02-24-2006, 01:43 PM
He's autistic..... logic does not compute like you and me.. they are very intelligent in their own way... He may understand.. but not every one is the same in this regard.. it can be hard to understand.

I know a few autistic kids and one can recite movie credits by heart.. has pages and pages of movie credits printed out.. ask him who played x character in x year from x movie..... he will walk to the pile and pull the page like a magic trick.

ask him what 2 x 2 equals.... he don't have a clue.

You are very right...........there are many levels/scopes of autism. When you are able to find out they find interesting and will stick with, it can be a challenge for the adult/parent to keep up with the rate at wich they absorb knowledge. The same for physical activities.

The key is to keep it at safe level, any child is more then eager to get in over their head if not properly supervised. This applies to every child, do not rate progress/success with leaps and bounds.............rate it with learning and continued confidence.

xd 200x
02-24-2006, 02:24 PM
My brother does not ride. (thats the problem). He fell off the bike a few times but he was ok with it. At this point it is really not the fun uncle thing it is more that I feel he is more capable of what they allow him to do. The reason I opted for a zinger is because of the pull rope kill switch. I'll talk to my brother, But I know he will freak on me. The only way to prove things to my brother is to just do them. See he was proud as hell when he saw him ride the bike. I just figure it is time for the next step.
Just so you guys know IM talking about a zinger quad. I figure I'll just buy one and put it in the corner of the shop.

If he happens to get on it to try it out It's not like I planed it. <<<<<< I think this may keep me from over stepping my bounds.

85hondaatc125m
02-24-2006, 03:00 PM
What I would do is buy a zinger, let him ride it a couple times until he gets really good at riding and such, and then tell the parents and say that you let him ride this zinger that has been around the shop here, and when they see he can ride it good and has talent riding, hopefully then the parents will let him ride it at the house and take him out to field and let him ride it.

cole2676
02-24-2006, 03:15 PM
Your hart is in the right place but your going about it in the wrong way. This is not your child, and you dont have the right to make this perental choice w/o ther consent. but what you can do is show them that thay make 4wheelers w/remote kill switch and goveners that you control at all times, and I think that 4wheels is a little more safe in this case. you sound like a great uncle, one any kid would like to have. and Im shure youd like to see this little man be happy. Thats great but dont over step this one. thay might not let you see him at all, and that would just kill you. just be cool about it and let time take its course. youll come out on top,at least in his eyes. and really thats all that matters any way. GOOD LUCK! and dont stop doing what your doing.

TimSr
02-24-2006, 05:32 PM
Any kid needs to be challenged to his full potential, and I think your brother is making a huge mistake in not encouraging any activity in which this kid shows potential.
Having said this, Ill also agree with the others in that it is not your call to make. Kepp twisting your brother's arm, but dont twist his trust, or you may lose access to this kid altogether.

DaMadman
02-24-2006, 06:10 PM
Any kid needs to be challenged to his full potential, and I think your brother is making a huge mistake in not encouraging any activity in which this kid shows potential.
Having said this, Ill also agree with the others in that it is not your call to make. Kepp twisting your brother's arm, but dont twist his trust, or you may lose access to this kid altogether.

Well seeing how I am also the "BAD" Uncle that lets the neices and nephews do stuff that their parents don't I say if you have the $$$ to buy the zinger buy it and let him ride when he is at your house. After he has been riding it for awhile pull that, OH By The Way look what your son can do........

Worse they are going to do is get mad at you and get over it sooner or later. Sounds like you are a pretty level headed guy and wouldn't do anything that you though was a danger to your nephew. If you think he can handle it go for it