PDA

View Full Version : NOS White 350x rear fenders

Steiger
02-25-2006, 04:24 PM
I would of course liked to of bought these, but Holy Frack. That is more than I want to spend today. $ 2175........Maybe tommorrow............:lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4614813643&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBI%3AIT

Orangecnty250r
02-25-2006, 04:28 PM
My snipe was 1501.00 so it never registered as it was outbid before that. Glad I got those White NOS takes offs last week which are nicer than many dealer old stock fenders!!!!!!! Makes buying that whole trike for the new parts on it much more worth it now

dividebyzero
02-25-2006, 04:29 PM
OMFG!!haha,are people retarded or what?That's just...nevermind,i'm sick.

denn
02-25-2006, 04:40 PM
Man, thats #$%^ing insane!!!!!!!! Some one should really send a copy of that auction to those idiots at Honda. Maybe they will see the demand that people have for 3 wheeler parts and consider producing them again. That would be great.

Denn

xd 200x
02-25-2006, 04:58 PM
that is f ing insane are you people retarted?

xd 200x
02-25-2006, 05:00 PM
no way he pays for them

82300R
02-25-2006, 07:47 PM
i love three wheelers, i have paid way more for parts that i wanted than i felt they were worth. this has just gotten plain STUPID. i don't care how ***king rare a piece of plastic is. i dont care if your an enthusiast, collector or millionaire anyone that pays that much for a piece of plastic is a fool. i hope all the people getting these high prices for this sh** save their money cause i cant see this bullsh** lasting. i'll buy used, i'll buy maier but they can take that oem s*** and stick it up their ***. thats my opinion and i don't care who it offends.:twisted: :twisted:

slothminx
02-25-2006, 08:01 PM
That.... is...... plain..... rediculous.

No chance in hell I would pay that much for them. I would rather ride :lol:

Howdy
02-25-2006, 08:05 PM
/me goes to reply, but falls out of his seat, as the auction page opens up.

thefox
02-25-2006, 08:08 PM
I think I am going to check at each Honda dealer I pass to see if they have any 350x rear fenders still.

Orangecnty250r
02-25-2006, 08:14 PM
i love three wheelers, i have paid way more for parts that i wanted than i felt they were worth. this has just gotten plain STUPID. i don't care how ***king rare a piece of plastic is. i dont care if your an enthusiast, collector or millionaire anyone that pays that much for a piece of plastic is a fool. i hope all the people getting these high prices for this sh** save their money cause i cant see this bullsh** lasting. i'll buy used, i'll buy maier but they can take that oem s*** and stick it up their ***. thats my opinion and i don't care who it offends.:twisted: :twisted:

Whats with the anger its not your money??? :rolleyes:

chris200x
02-25-2006, 08:24 PM
I think i may be able to answer that OC. It angers some of us that our beloved trike parts are getting so overpriced that most of us cannot afford them if we need them. Weather it is his money or not. That is just ridiculus.

1DEADPRESIDENT
02-25-2006, 08:39 PM
I think i may be able to answer that OC. It angers some of us that our beloved trike parts are getting so overpriced that most of us cannot afford them if we need them. Weather it is his money or not. That is just ridiculus.

Lets face it a lot of people couldn't afford that, but if your are persistant you never know what you gunna score. I found 3 complete sets of white 86 plastic this week, the same guy had a complete set of 85 plastics also. Odds are he saw that freakin auction also and dropped one in his pants.:lol:

Orangecnty250r
02-25-2006, 08:40 PM

I can understand that and I am not insensitive to that but......

This is just not another trike part .....it is a very very very rare piece. Putting A piece as rare as this on a three wheeler and trash it would be foolish in my eyes. First one I ever saw on ebay.....and for the trike lovers and the people who want to tear it up there are Maier and used fenders....Heck you can buy a whole 350x in the right place for 1500.00 with original plastics on it. There are options for all who love the sport...Anything this rare is going to cost and that is not going to change....Just seemed slightly hostile...the response that is.

The collectors and the people paying good money for this stuff are doing a very nice thing to some of these three wheelers and its not cheap (These fenders were out of my $$ range by the way...otherwise it would have said OC250r as the winning bidder)....Preserving and restoring these machines to showroom condition IS a benefit to the trike community...People of the next generations to enjoy forever....
Bill

BLAZERONE22
02-25-2006, 08:44 PM
The deals are out there, I bought a red 350x fender with the mud flap on the back and the front fender for $120.00 on ebay BIN. And they look good also.... Its just insane what that one went for, but if you got the money and want it bad enough have at it....

chris200x
02-25-2006, 08:51 PM
Both your points are well taken... OC I wasn't trying to be hostile towards anyone. :wondering

Onedeadpresident... What on earth will you do with three sets of fenders? :lol: all of us seen what you paid for that one auction. One person owning 3 sets says to me that you want backup... meaning you plan on trashing them. Am I correct in saying that? Then why not buy the aftermarket ones. Or is it your just greedy? :D

I think You might be mistaken as these parts being very very rare as well. Have you noticed all the 350x fenders lately coming out of the woodwork. IMO just because aan item is discontinued doesn't necessarily mean it's gone. Stop buying these things on ebay and see how fast the price drops. Everyone is jumping on the "THERE ARE NO MORE OF THESE" bandwagon. Sure they are getting harder to find... But I also think there are alot more of these things around than anyone thinks.

Orangecnty250r
02-25-2006, 09:05 PM
Both your points are well taken... OC I wasn't trying to be hostile towards anyone. :wondering

Not you being hostile at all :beer

nouseforaname90
02-25-2006, 09:44 PM
Wow. That IS ridiculous. I'd rather buy a nice 350X for that. Or 3 ok-looking 3 wheelers. Holy balls of fire.

82300R
02-25-2006, 09:55 PM
Whats with the anger its not your money??? :rolleyes:
no it is not my money.the anger in my statement is not directed to anyone literally. just when i see something like that it pmo. yes it may be a rare piece. yes it may be worth that to someone who is willing to pay that much. now that this stuff is happening with the oem parts and all these rare mint bikes going for outrageous prices, it drives the prices up on all the other parts . then you have every "bubba" selling junk at top prices. also every worthwhile part is a battle to the end. just like how it was with harleys( i am not a h.d. rider) new bikes were a battle to get. used bikes went for way more than they were worth. now new bikes go msrp and used go for what they are worth. now that was cured by supply meeting demand and in my opinion the bullshi* i'm a hells angel thing blowing over. i think imo this will blow over with the prices on three wheeler parts not by supply meet demand, but people will get turned off by the raping of prices and move on to something else. then you will be left with people like ourselfs who have been three wheel people from the begining. all these parts rapers will go away and try to make a profit elsewere. then hopfully the part situation will come back down to a realistic level. not cheap cause they still will be rare but to what these parts are truly worth. not the more valuble than gold they are being made out to be. hope i have explained myself better.:beer

patblkwell
02-25-2006, 10:34 PM
I hear you man....it's funny because this rear fender sold for about $200 less than the '86 350X BIKE itself back in 1986!!

Orangecnty250r
02-25-2006, 10:39 PM
All I am saying that I sell my extra NOS when I can to help pay for the very expensive restorations I do...In the end I spend way more than I will EVER get for one of these machines to do it right...So the people who are spending the big money ARENT making a profit....They are building a machine that they want to enjoy, allow other trikers to view and appreciate, and to preserve a legendary peice of history that will never be reproduced again.

xd 200x
02-25-2006, 10:43 PM
I know somthing that will make you guys sick. There are going to be fakes comming out. I polished molds for awhile in school. I talked to my uncle who owns a Injection mold makng shop and plastics company. anyway he called me knowing that I love 3wheelers and asked what is the deal with fenders.
here is a snipit of the talk we had

whats the deal with fenders does mier not sell them any more?
I dont know, why
some guy came in with a cad drawing and wanted me to make a mold.
Of what?
fenders for a 3wheeler.
how much did you tell him it would cost.
You gannna make it
I dont know if there is a patant or if it is expired or what.
Oh If thre isnt a patant you ganna make it?
If he has money.
Think he is blowing smoke.
Im not sure

Then today I called him and told him a set went for over 2k
He said he had a voice mail from the guy saying that he quoted to high on the mold and he was having it built somewhere else but wanted to know if he would do a test run of 100.

My uncle being the cheep guy he is told him he would run a min of 500

So I dont know if he is going to do it or what If he does I told him to grab me the miss runs.

Be advised fakes are comming one way or another. I know it would cost atlest 25-30k to make that mold so I figure alot are comming if the guy does it. And I had my buddy look at my 200x fenders to see if a patant number was on it. He told me no so it looks like it isnt even illegal.

Infinity Cycle Supply LLC.
02-25-2006, 10:48 PM
I know somthing that will make you guys sick. There are going to be fakes comming out. I polished molds for awhile in school. I talked to my uncle who owns a Injection mold makng shop and plastics company. anyway he called me knowing that I love 3wheelers and asked what is the deal with fenders.

I dont know, why
Of what?
fenders for a 3wheeler.
You gannna make it
If he has money.
Im not sure

He said he had a voice mail from the guy saying that he quoted to high on the mold and he was having it built somewhere else but wanted to know if he would do a test run of 100.

So I dont know if he is going to do it or what If he does I told him to grab me the miss runs.

Be advised fakes are comming one way or another. I know it would cost atlest 25-30k to make that mold so I figure alot are comming if the guy does it. And I had my buddy look at my 200x fenders to see if a patant number was on it. He told me no so it looks like it isnt even illegal.

ROTFLMAO who is their right mind is gonna put 30 grand up for after market crapola fenders. They are worht money because they are discontinued fron their manufacturer Honda.

WHEN IS THE LAST TIME YOU HAVE SEEN MAIER SELL FOR 2000 LMAO AGAIN IDIOTS.

Anybody want to go in with me making plastic 1969 Camaro fenders LOL LOL LOL now the guy who is going to attempt that is more money stupid than the guy spending 3 grand on the fender LOL it gets better everyday.

Orangecnty250r
02-25-2006, 10:49 PM
Should be interesting !!! anyone who sells fakes as OEM will be caught fast and a reproduction is a reproduction Maier or Joe Shmo $150-200 tops

82300R
02-25-2006, 10:52 PM
All I am saying that I sell my extra NOS when I can to help pay for the very expensive restorations I do...In the end I spend way more than I will EVER get for one of these machines to do it right...So the people who are spending the big money ARENT making a profit....They are building a machine that they want to enjoy, allow other trikers to view and appreciate, and to preserve a legendary peice of history that will never be reproduced again.
i admire and can appreciate what you do with your trikes. i hope you did not take my thoughts as directed toward you. because that is not the case. i was just venting off on all the insane stuff you see on e bay lately.:beer

ATCwithdrawals
02-25-2006, 10:57 PM
Definetly high $$$ for a set of OEm 350x fenders. Imagine what a brand new OEM Tiger rear fender would go for. Probably be the next stuff to start showing up on ebay:D

Orangecnty250r
02-26-2006, 12:31 AM
i admire and can appreciate what you do with your trikes. i hope you did not take my thoughts as directed toward you. because that is not the case. i was just venting off on all the insane stuff you see on e bay lately.:beer

:beer :beer :beer

82300R
02-26-2006, 01:09 AM
looks like the buyer has bought from o.c. and onestop. looks like he's a legit buyer. i would love if he came on board. must have one hell of a 350x.

grundlegrabber
02-26-2006, 01:36 AM
I'm speechless. Wish I'd bought some of those a few years ago and stashed 'em away. At least I have all the '86 250R plastic I'll ever need!

petesatc
02-27-2006, 09:48 AM

I dont know, why
Of what?
fenders for a 3wheeler.
You gannna make it
If he has money.
Im not sure

Ok i'm not sure about this?????? i own a company here in the UK ...and part of what we do is injection moulding...i have 12 machines from 10tonne(small) to 500tonne (pretty big well big enough to mold rear plastics) i priced up a mould for a 200x a few years ago....now if we are talking about a proper injection mould and not a blow mould or vacuum form then we are talking about £60,000 or $125,000 to have a mould made...this was the cheapest i could find and that was in China (cheapest by far at the moment)...so as for someone putting a mould down then they would have to sell 1,000's to make it pay and there are not that many 350 left .....

Jeb
02-27-2006, 12:31 PM
Ok i'm not sure about this?????? i own a company here in the UK ...and part of what we do is injection moulding...i have 12 machines from 10tonne(small) to 500tonne (pretty big well big enough to mold rear plastics) i priced up a mould for a 200x a few years ago....now if we are talking about a proper injection mould and not a blow mould or vacuum form then we are talking about £60,000 or $125,000 to have a mould made...this was the cheapest i could find and that was in China (cheapest by far at the moment)...so as for someone putting a mould down then they would have to sell 1,000's to make it pay and there are not that many 350 left .....

EXACTLY!! petesatc!! :beer

These plastics reproduction topics come up from time to time. I always enjoy them. I design injection molds and consult on plastic part design for a custom mold shop. I have designed molds for 13 years in industries from aircraft and automotive to simple consumer goods. Being the 3wheeler enthusiast I am, I would have built molds long ago for trike parts. I dream of getting it done and guess I always will. And YES it definitely could be done but It's gonna take someone with big bucks to get injection molded OEM replicas done, even if you can get some of the stuff done for free on your own time. I could and I still can't do it because I couldn't afford the time and money involved. And then just getting close to factory eom is not good enough. I would want them exact or better. Truthfully in plastics the only way your going to get them exact is to process them under the same parameters on the same injection machines and out of the same mold the originals were made from and from the same type of plastic. The shop I work for could get the mold so close no one could tell. But if you think $125K is a lot for a Chinese tool, you don't want to know what they'd quote here for one, even as small as a 350X tank shroud. A rear fender mold would be insane. Also, most of the time on the Chinese tools, you get what you pay for. They are below cheap in the industry. The cost of a mold even for what looks like simple little plastic parts is astronomical. But ,as petesatc can attest, companies make the money back for the tool by selling LOTS of parts. In the consumer goods arena, a mold that costs thousands can be payed for when its producing 32 cavities of the same part running 24/7 for a period of months or years.

Who ever makes molds is not going to sell lots of fenders. The fender mold will be a single cavity. The price per fender they'd have to ask to make the tooling money back would probably make the 2K OEM fender look cheap. And there are those out there that will pay big bucks for a quality piece. Both of them would. :beer :lol:

This is why vacuum forming comes into play. Much cheaper to produce, but you don't get the quality of injection molding. And Maier's vacuum formed products for instance are not exactly cheap for the average consumer.

And don't make the mistake of thinking just because you can build a plaster mold for fiberglass lay-up or vacuum forming that you can build an injection mold like that (cheaply) that will RUN. And not just any machine shop can build a proper injection mold. There are R&D rapid tooling options out there, but they don't always work.

If you have thousands to spend, it might be more worthwhile to look up Honda, etc and find out what they do with old tooling. Where is/was it? Has it been destroyed or just warehoused away? If by some remote chance they will talk to you and they still have it or know where it is, would they sell it if they haven't already sold it for scrap? I'm sure you'd find Honda, etc. use custom molders in China or some other country and the tooling is history. Some of it might have even been here in the US. You might get lucky, find it and buy it cheap for scrap, and have it shipped to you, but then you have to get with an Injection Molder with BIG machines to find out how much to run the parts. The tools might just run like a dream, then again they might be a nightmare to get parts molded. They probably will need rework and cleaning if they have been stored for years. Plus there are issues with what type of plastic you need to use and the color compounding required to match the OEM colors. Most molds are designed to run one type of plastic and there are many, many different types of plastic that all behave in their own way while processing.

Even after all that and they had been run off Honda's orignial tooling you still couldn't claim they are OEM to sell for 2K a piece. They are nothing more than simply high-quality replicas that very well might have been cheaper made from gold. :lol:

Injection molded replicas are going to take a super enthusiast with DEEP pockets. You never know, maybe one will come along.

petesatc
02-27-2006, 05:15 PM
Hi Jeb
well said !!!!!!!:D :D :D :D

Teeksoffroad
02-27-2006, 07:17 PM
Why get so mad at a guy who spends that kind of $ on something he really wants ? He is obviously restoring a 350X. Look at his past purchases. If that is the only NOS fender he can find and he wants a correct rest then you have to pay. Someone here mentioned aftermarket fenders but you can't even compare the two if doing a correct resto. I gess I would be mad too if I wanted them and didn't have the dough. Congrat's man, you got a nice fender.

knsmodels
03-06-2006, 11:33 AM
Jeb.....well said and I agree 100%.....on the otherhand my work takes me to China about once a yr. and if anyone wants to do the research I have connections over there and we might be able to find those molds and maybe have them run over there.....ahhhhh....but that is probably just a pipe dream....but I bet they are sitting in storage over there somewhere.....:TrikesOwn