PDA

View Full Version : Ebay....Shipping $$$$$ Getting pricey

Orangecnty250r
02-27-2006, 11:27 PM
Well I have been selling off some of my extras on EBAY and lately I have been getting sticker shock when I run this stuff down to the shippers. Seems to me like prices are getting much higher.

Wheel/tire combos are tough and fender boxes are getting slammed.

I sold a 350x fender and put it in a box like the one you see below today. Took it to the post office and was told it was to big to send out Priority. I then said how much for Parcel ....because of the oversize surcharge I was told 90.00!!!!!. Within the states

Took it to UPS and it cost me 48.00 still pricey. I think my auction I quoted 35.00

Wheel/tire combos ...same thing a set of 200x wheels with tire came in at 85.00 Priority and $50 Parcel!!! (the snail express)....After the ebay listing fees and shipping I lost 15.00 having to send them out...:mad:

It used to be safe saying $35-40 for wheels and the same for fenders. I dont have the time to weigh this stuff and measure boxes etc. I am going to have to raise my shipping estimates from now on....Everybody at the counters want to break out those damm tape measures!!! I still do well with USPS on smaller items.

What do some of you other guys do....or what am I doing wrong?? Has anyone else run into this...I think Dammit did with sending me some tires.

When buying these larger/heavier items off ebay keep this in mind and dont be to quick to judge the shipping prices

Any tips/info would be appreciated

patblkwell
02-27-2006, 11:30 PM
I shipped a 350X rear fender in a box via USPS prioritity mail 2 weeks ago and it was $25 with insurance...not sure why they quoted you so high.

Orangecnty250r
02-27-2006, 11:33 PM
I shipped a 350X rear fender in a box via USPS prioritity mail 2 weeks ago and it was $25 with insurance...not sure why they quoted you so high.

Are you Serious!!!! Did they measure the box?? My people always break out the tape measure:mad: Also there is a huge difference with distance with USPS. Mine went from NY to MN. I'd like to hear more

twgranger
02-27-2006, 11:40 PM
The post office charged me around $22 to send out some rear Z fenders priority. They busted out the tape measure for me too. I even used a big @ss 29inch tv box.:lol:

Orangecnty250r
02-27-2006, 11:42 PM
Sounds like I need to try a different post office but even with that I still got hit 48.00 UPS

Orangecnty250r
02-27-2006, 11:50 PM
twgranger .....Did you keep them within NY....I brought down 2 Z tires I sold one went to the next state over and it cost me $11.00......same tire, same day, same packing out west cost 26 or 27.00 dollars.

patblkwell
02-28-2006, 12:18 AM
Hey Orange, yes she broke out the tape and measured everything. The box fit the fender perfectly with no extra space. It was like $14 plus $9 for an oversize fee plus $2 for the insurance I put on it...the USPS is always gonna have the better price on shipping from what I've experienced. UPS is usually the most expensive unless you have business account with them. Oh, they were shipped from here louisiana to new york btw.

82300R
02-28-2006, 12:25 AM
who knows what years you guys shipped. I have had ups bills ofr over 2000 a month. Fenders are retarded expensive to ship. I HEAR YA ORANGE it is rediculous!!! Well thank ********************************* new orliens they have alot to o with it along with the people who destroy our large buildings that we spend billions to go stand over there for no reason. Not stating there is no reason to be there but WTF what are we doing.
what do you mean?:wondering

BLAZERONE22
02-28-2006, 02:32 AM
FedEX is cheapest here to ship big items...

88 Turbo Coupe
02-28-2006, 06:08 AM
$26.00 for rear plastic USPS

phreakboy
02-28-2006, 08:18 AM
I agree that the prices have changed a bit, it seems that every time I quote somebody I get a bunch of greef. Its quite rediculous, lately though I have found that with bigger items, or heavier items dhl has been cheapest. For along time any time I checked them they were so much higher but they must have lowered their prices a little. Are postal employees around here are kinda strange, one is by the book to the exact, if the package is 1/8" bigger than allowed, then its definetly the next class up. Another Post office the women are so relaxed and dont even seem to really care what you ship.

Howdy
02-28-2006, 09:03 AM
I haven't had much problem at all lately. But then I weigh all my items. I factor it this way for the auction calculator: I take the items actual weight, I estimate 3 lbs for packaging ( med sized ). I then put this into the shipping calculator in the auction. I do not package anything up until the auctions are over. Once the auction ends I automatically combine multiple wins and package everything up. I then get the actual weight of each package and send out my end of auctions with the Updated shipping cost.
Doing this has kept me from loosing money on shipping, plus it saves the buyers quite a bit as well.
Howdy

Howdy
02-28-2006, 09:41 AM
Ok, How about a little funny side of shipping ( I just found this ):
http://www.motorcycle-recycle-center.com/our_shipping_dept.htm

Howdy

x.system
02-28-2006, 10:05 AM
I haven't had much problem at all lately. But then I weigh all my items. I factor it this way for the auction calculator: I take the items actual weight, I estimate 3 lbs for packaging ( med sized ). I then put this into the shipping calculator in the auction. I do not package anything up until the auctions are over. Once the auction ends I automatically combine multiple wins and package everything up. I then get the actual weight of each package and send out my end of auctions with the Updated shipping cost.
Doing this has kept me from loosing money on shipping, plus it saves the buyers quite a bit as well.
Howdy

I also weigh everything but I rarely go to the post office unless I am shipping out of the country. I do the online shipping and almost everything goes out priority. I bought a cheap scale from the post office that weighs up to 10 pounds. If it weighs more than that I bust out the digital home scale and always add 1 pound just in case.

Once I have the package boxed and tagged usps will come the following day abd pick up the package from my home. Saves me time, gas and the hassle of waiting in line at the post office. You can get free priority boxes shipped to your door from usps and you can order as many as you want.

I hardley ever ship fenders any more, they are expensive to ship for me but always have been. The last set I sold was over 2 years ago and was $55 through fed ex, cheapest I could find around here. Wheels and tires I just sold cost me about $25 for a set of 2 and I took the valve stems out and compressed the tires on 2 sides to fit in a smaller box and it worked out great.

The key is to get the dimensions to fit in the regular size box which is under 84 inches when you measure length and girth and add them together. Once you get above 84 inches you get charged oversized. There used to be 3 sizes but it looks like they did away with the medium size and combined it with oversized.

I think the post office will often overlook a package that has already been labeled at home as long as the weight is correct or padded a pound or two. I've never had a package come back for being to large or awkward shaped. I've dropped a couple off at the post office before and I watch them just toss them in the shipping bin when they see the label already attached.

ScottZJ
02-28-2006, 10:09 AM
Fedex ground seems to be the cheapest and fastest way to ship things. I shipped a complete rear fender and seat and it cost me 21$ to AZ. But I have to remember we do have a main hub here in Memphis area so might be alittle cheaper for us.

grundlegrabber
03-01-2006, 02:03 AM
OC, I've been experiencing the same thing for a while now. With fenders it depends on the size and shape. I have a TRX300 fender here that I pretty much can't sell because the shipping would be astronomical. It pisses me off and it's ridiculous. I have found no way around it. I have to use a retail store for UPS and FedEx, the hubs are too far from me. Shipping from the hub would be a lot cheaper. I looked into getting my own account with pickup service, but FedEx wanted $6 per week fee, and they have a minimum requirement for the ammount you have to ship every week. :mad:
A friend of mine dated the girl down at the UPS store for a while, and she was hooking me up with her cost on the bigger stuff. I saved a LOT of money. Unfortunately for me, they broke up and shortly after she quit working there, and I'm back to paying full price.:cry:
I don't know what the logic is behind setting their prices so high on larger items. I'd sell and ship a ton more stuff if the prices were reasonable. If shipping costs keep escalating, my internet sales revenues are gonna suffer bigtime, resulting in less money to fund three wheeler projects.
I say we all boycott UPS and FedEx. Call everyone you know and tell them only to ship thru the post office for the next month. That'll teach those bastards!