PDA

View Full Version : Another black eye for ATV riders

TimSr
03-06-2006, 08:59 PM
A guy in Parma, Ohio decided it would be cool to start ripping up a few area lawns with his quad. When the police showed up, he thought a police chase would be really cool too. He blew through an intersection, hit a car, flew off the quad and went through another car's windshield. He died of head trauma. From what was left of the quad, it looked like a YFZ450, but its hard to tell. The guy was not wearing a helmet. Of cource this was not charaterized as a criminal fleeing the police with a machine that wasnt street legal and who wasnt bright enough to put a helmet on before illegally running through traffic. Instead it was summed up as "another death due to an ATV accident".

This, kids, is why we do not allow the glorification of "running from the cops" posts. we all get to suffer the consequences of the image in which the idiots portray us.

edog
03-06-2006, 09:07 PM
Stupid people do stupid things.That just sucks

dickieg89
03-06-2006, 09:30 PM
I support Mandatory sterilization for stupid people. Aligators have aligators as my pop always said.

BigGreenMachine
03-06-2006, 09:43 PM
Idiot...what a shiner.

CorbinKale
03-06-2006, 09:44 PM
I hope he didn't leave any kids behind... for several reasons.

BigGreenMachine
03-07-2006, 12:51 AM
I hope he didn't leave any kids behind... for several reasons.

Oh thats cold! Poor guy, I really hope he didn't leave anyone behind. :(

Jason Hall
03-07-2006, 08:19 AM
2 people just got killed In Michigan within the last 2 months. They also were not wearing helmets. Some people don't know how to ride, or can't handle the power of the machine. Then to top It off they don't put a helmet on. Those who don't wear a helmet don't Impress me one bit. I sometimes wonder If they think they are cool because they don't wear one, I think when you don't wear a helmet It's like wearing a big bilboard sign on your head, look at me I'm an Idiot. Sorry, but thats just my 2 cents.

Jeffro33
03-07-2006, 08:31 AM
I see it all the time. I was watching the show "Off To War". When one of the guys got back from Iraq he bought a 4 wheeler. Of course thinking he was the greatest he got stupid when he was drinking and broke his arm on the 4 wheeler. The guy laughed about it saying he did not spill his beer. Thanks for giving us anouther black eye to us kid. I would say 99.9% of the major accidents happen because people doing stupid stuff. The worst accident I had I cracked my skull. I was also so drunk I could barely walk. It was 100% my fault. I don't drink anymore and always wear my helmet. I am now always 100% awhere of my surroundings and prepared for what could happen.

Russell 350X
03-07-2006, 09:17 AM
Stupid Hurts eh?

Howdy
03-07-2006, 09:31 AM
Stupid Hurts eh?

Stupidity hurts EVERYONE!! It's too bad that for some people that they must learn the hard way. This guy will never get a second chance, but MAYBE other people can learn from this guys stupidity.
Howdy

trikezilla
03-11-2006, 04:30 PM
Man, if you ask me stpidity is a bigger problem than obesity and most everything else. Its too bad he died no doubt, but putting that aside for a minute, the damage he and people like that do isnt even comprehendable. Tree huggers use stuff like that to BAN us from a sport that is a part of us as a stupid acorn and weed is a part of them. And then little kids see this on the news are scared of a sport that can very easily be turned into a family event!......

thehickfarmer
03-11-2006, 06:43 PM
it makes me wonder how much longer till 4 wheelers get banned..but funny.. one millon car accidents in north america everyday..and sometimes not even one atv accident...but we get the bat...nice.
Marko

Mosh
03-12-2006, 10:16 AM
i could not agree with tim sr more,and i was gonna post this last week but forgot.it is a slap in the face to all responsible riders.here are some pics of this idiot.i guess he died.they said he was hopped up on drugs.knocked him right out of his boots when he hit.he was on a yfz 450.what a shame.

seadoo650
03-12-2006, 10:25 AM
Just seen another one on tv this morning. Said Fatal atv accident. The guy again was riding on the road again without a helmet and was hit by a car. It was up in Mt. Gilead. Only about 10 minutes from me. Did'nt say if he was intox. or not. The police around here are usually pretty cool about riding down the road for short spurts but only to get to where you're going,. I bet they won't be now.

Howdy
03-12-2006, 10:49 AM
Just seen another one on tv this morning. Said Fatal atv accident. The guy again was riding on the road again without a helmet and was hit by a car. It was up in Mt. Gilead. Only about 10 minutes from me. Did'nt say if he was intox. or not. The police around here are usually pretty cool about riding down the road for short spurts but only to get to where you're going,. I bet they won't be now.

This goes to show that it only takes 1 Persons STUPID actions to spoil it for the rest of us. Guys do the right thing and help AVOID being the Lead Story on the evening news!!
Howdy

OldSchoolin86
03-12-2006, 10:50 AM
With all these 450s being produced at resonable prices for any fool to afford I wouldn't be supprised if we see some form of a quad ban in the next 5 years.

seadoo650
03-12-2006, 10:56 AM
I think a helmet ought to be included with the sale of any atv or bike. Mandatory. I know the idiots will not wear them but at least they'll have it. I believe the guy up here was riding a utility quad.

smokinwrench
03-12-2006, 10:59 AM
All of this will lead to an ATV Drivers License.

I'm sure it will happen that if you buy an atv larger then 90cc, you will be required to take a training coarse, take a test and have another rating included on your normal drivers license.

82300R
03-15-2006, 10:20 PM
With all these 450s being produced at resonable prices for any fool to afford I wouldn't be supprised if we see some form of a quad ban in the next 5 years.
theres alot of fools with 3 wheelers too.:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Russell 350X
03-16-2006, 09:35 AM
I think a helmet ought to be included with the sale of any atv or bike. Mandatory. I know the idiots will not wear them but at least they'll have it. I believe the guy up here was riding a utility quad.

I'm sure that alot of dealerships give helemts with quads upon purchase, but that dosent mean the person is going to wear it :mad:

Russ

RedRider_AK
03-22-2006, 05:00 PM
Mandatory helmet laws, plz.

TimSr
03-22-2006, 05:44 PM
I support wearing safety gear, but I dont support madatory helmet laws for adults who have a right to decided their own risks to themselves, and I sure dont support having to pay for yet another helmet with each bike I purchase. I also think it misses the whole point of this thread. This guy crashed as a result of irresponsible and illegal behavior, yet it was statistically tallied as though it was a typical ATV accident. Had he been wearing a helmet, it may have saved his life, (and may not have) but we was fleeing police after criminal damaging at the time he crashed into a car. The idea that he would have observed some mandatory helmet law, or worn his helmet if he'd been required to buy one with his quad is ridiculous. A guy tearing up lawns and engaging in a police chase through residential streets doesnt make us look much better if he is wearing a helmet and complying with a helmet law while breaking a dozen other laws.
Wow. Substitute "trigger lock" for "helmet" and "robbing a liquor store" for "tearing up lawns" and we have the essence of the gun debate.

LonesomeTriZ
03-22-2006, 06:04 PM
I have no problem stating the obvious. I am glad that idiot was killed. I'll say it again if I was misunderstood. I wish I could have helped him find his demise sooner. Thier is NO excuse for that kind of behavior and the world is better off with out his kind.

However, can we please stop the helet preaching crap. Helmets are not the cure all that some of you seem to think. Wearing a helmet will not save your life in every situation. When I ride my YFZ, Tri-Z's, or any other sport machine and I ride them hard, I wear my helemt. When I ride my utilities, I enjoy cruzing nice and easy with no helmet. Educate your selves before you start demanding helmet laws.

Tell you what. for all of you that feel there should be helmet laws, answer me this. Why was it florida revoked thier manditory helemy laws for street bikes? The answer will surprise you hard core helmet activist.

dizasterzrfun69
03-22-2006, 06:58 PM
i feel the same way about helmets as i do seatbelts. I think you should have to wear a helmet until your 16 or 18, after that it should be totally up to the rider if they wanted to wear a helmet or not.

Kevin

RedRider_AK
03-22-2006, 07:43 PM
Why was it florida revoked thier manditory helemy laws for street bikes?

Why?

Oh, and to clear up my opinion, I agree with the mandatory until 18 view, and yeah, sometimes I don't wear a helmet, like when I'm riding the Rancher to a friend's house or something. And I understand what you're going at, TimSr.

Tri-ZNate
03-22-2006, 07:56 PM
Helmets dont cure stupid, although I bet a bullet could. When i think about it most car chases end in an accident so he probably would have kept going untill he hit something, I mean why stop when your on a sport quad. It makes you seem like a pussy (saracasm BTW) :rolleyes:.

As for the helmet thing, I NEVER wear a helmet on my propery unless I'm riding with friends because we require them to. Now if I am at anywhere but My place I wear a helmet. Just the way we do things.

LonesomeTriZ
03-22-2006, 08:48 PM
Why?

Florida revoked its helmet law because the riders who were against it made one hell of a valid argument. Plus the numbers were there to support their cause. Helmets, just like seat belts cost lives as well as saves them. Helmets are only good for low speed impacts. Such as taking a spill while making a low speed turn. As an example. In higher speed impacts one would think the helmet would make no difference, right? Well, that was proven NOT to be the case. In fact you are more likely to be killed as a result of wearing the helmet than you would have you not in a high-speed impact. Sounds strange, does it not? It is kind of hard to prove helmets save lives when the responding personnel have to go look for the rider’s helmet after the impact because the rider’s head is still in it. Just like seat belts have killed drivers that may have been able to survive, so has helmets. It really is a damn if you do, damn if you don’t kind of thing. The only thing different is there are real numbers backing up the helmet argument. Seat belts still have the numbers in favor of them where helmets have the negative side on that one covered.

I will also say this again; helmets are not a cure all. This idiot for example, would he have survived if he had a helmet on? No one can ever say for sure because it did not happen that way. Just as when some people say “oh what a shame, if only little Johnny had been wearing his seat belt” That is one of the dumbest damn statements any one could make. No one could ever accurately assess what might have happened. Now because of all the propaganda people believe simply by wearing their seat belt, they will survive.

I am longing for the day common sense returns the masses...

Howdy
03-22-2006, 09:06 PM
I am longing for the day common sense returns the masses...

You and me both!!! It's too bad that some people will never have any.
Howdy

seadoo650
03-22-2006, 10:25 PM
I'm not a "mandatory" helmet activist. I just believe helmets do save lives. I'm living proof. Wrecked a street bike. Not being stupid or anything just a typical accident. Helmet saved my life. First impact cracked the helmet almost in two. If I had not been wearing it I would'nt be typing this right now.
It is absolutly the rider's choice no matter how poor of a choice it is.

On that note, Tim is absolutly right. It does'nt matter if this idiot was waering one or not. The whole situation makes our sport (3 or 4 wheels) look bad for all the wrong reasons. He prolly would have done the same thing if he was driving a truck. But the story would not have been "fatal crash due to driving a 2003 chevy 4X4 in a high speed chase".

firehart
03-23-2006, 12:22 AM
I had a drunk pedestrian run into the side of my car a couple of years ago. It was late at night and I was going to pick up my wife from work. The guy was three times the legal limit. I was doing 70mph on the freeway. As far as I know, he was killed instantly. It was not a pretty site. The state police never found a car to link him to. They have no idea why he was even there crossing the road. I have never heard a word from this man's family. He was 58 years old. He may have been a transient. He might have even done it to commit suicide. All I know is that it will effect my life for the rest of my life.

Billy Golightly
03-23-2006, 11:03 AM
I wear my lid most all the time. I make an occasional rip around the yard without it but thats it. I do strongly believe that in a place where helmets are required (such as Haspin) or any other public/private area that requires them, there should be absolutely no qualms or bitching about it. Put your lid on and ride, or dont even get on the machine.

atctim
03-24-2006, 04:41 PM
I wear my lid most all the time. I make an occasional rip around the yard without it but thats it. I do strongly believe that in a place where helmets are required (such as Haspin) or any other public/private area that requires them, there should be absolutely no qualms or bitching about it. Put your lid on and ride, or dont even get on the machine.

This is well stated - if it's a rule, do it and don't complain about it - it's a rule! But if you are on your own property cruising your utility macine on your trails knowing what you are getting into - it's your choice, and no body should tell you what to do. There's a big difference cruising around your local trails on your Big Red and Ripping the trails (wheather you know them or not) on your 250R, 350X, 200X or even your Big Red! - People need to make smart decissions, and common sense is a must - my question is, why doesn't anybody have any anymore?

3 weelin geezer
03-25-2006, 07:28 AM
:lol: :lol: They can come on over where I go. Nothing but cliffs and holes all over the road. I would like to see them tear up anything when they are tipping over into a washed out rut with no way to get to the side because of all the prickly pears all over. Not to mention all the rocks hidden by a very fine layer of dirt. That will knock some of that common sense into them. That and bring me some happiness. :D

threewheelin-feelin
03-26-2006, 05:38 AM

thats the same way i am now...back when i just had my old 200s i never wore a helmet...not cause i thought it was cool i just didnt have one and didnt see a reason to wear one....but since i started reading what you guys have been saying on here for the past couple years and i got my 350x...i bought me a brand new helmet and wear it 99% of the time other then little rips around the yard

OldSchoolin86
03-26-2006, 09:25 AM
theres alot of fools with 3 wheelers too.:lol: :lol: :lol:
Exactly my point, we see how well that worked out.:cry: