PDA

View Full Version : Rode a bike for the first time today

Jonathan
03-10-2003, 11:56 PM
I was hanging out with one of my friends after school, neither one of us has ever ridden a street bike before (I've never ridden a bike period, he rides dirt bikes) and we're both wanting to get one for college next year. So he goes looking through the classifieds and we decide to pick one out and go ride it. We chose an 89 CBR600F Hurricane. I even explained to the guy that I really only have experience on ATV's but he was still cool with us riding. This thing was fudgin cool. I loved it. I didn't get past 1/5th throttle and didn't get farther than 3rd gear and only got up to 35 (I stayed in the parking lot cause I don't have a cycle license). I really liked the bike and plan on getting one as soon as I get some money and get the trx250r I've been wanting for a while. Sharp turns were kinda weird feeling (the guy said it was because the balance things on the handle bars were missing). Anyway I just thought it was pretty cool and wanted to share. My friend is trying to convince his parents to let him get it.

ATCRYDER
03-11-2003, 05:46 PM
Street Rockets and Muslce Bikes are a right of passage for a young male. ;)

Hurricanes were sweet older bikes. CBR's in general, especially today, are unbelievable.

ATC crazy
03-11-2003, 06:14 PM
My brother has a '83 or '85 CB1000F and that thing is frekin fast. I plan on getting a '02 RC-51. Those are sweet. My dad has a '83 Yamaha Venture (cruizer) 1200 4cyl. that he bought new. It has about 135hp and has even beaten guys on 600F4i's (really :shock: ) It has major balls.
Hes lookin at getting one of those 1800cc 6cyl. Goldwings from Honda, or a BMW 1200 within a year or less :twisted:

Jonathan
03-11-2003, 07:15 PM
I'm gonna start looking for one seriously real soon, but I have one problem. My parents are hardcore anti-motorcycle, well my mom is and my grandma would kill my dad if he let me get one. I think I'm just gonna show up with one one day to fix up and "sell" (keep). I think they'll come around as long as my mom never figures out how fast it is.

TRIZREE666
03-11-2003, 10:44 PM
I absolutely love motorcycles. I plan on buying either the Yamaha R6 or the R1. Most likely I'll go with the R1. My buddy has a Kawasaki Ninja ZX9.That thing was so fast. I had never rode a street bike in my life. So i asked him to let me take it for a qick ride he said sure just don't crash. Well that quick ride was 2 hours long. When i came back he had thought i crashed but i didn't. Ever since then I was hooked. All i have to say is get one. You will love it.

HemiChallenger71
03-11-2003, 10:54 PM
You guys talk about having these fast ass bikes, and for anyone like me who is just starting to ride this summer I think you should really start off on something that you wont kill yourself on. I have my little old Honda CB 450, and I will be content with it. Then after I get experienced I will buy death on wheels, and keep my old Honda to cruise around on. Plus, starting out on a smaller bike teaches you how to ride better anyway, or so motorcycle magazines tell me.

Dynofox
03-11-2003, 11:59 PM
I've got an 84 honda nighthawk 700s, its a sweet bike! My dad gave it to me last year, the thing is all original and mint (10,000 miles). He bought a 02 zrx 1200r, now that thing is bad ASS. :-D

Tri-Z_Jim
03-12-2003, 11:21 PM
I agree with Hemichallenger.If you dont have experience on a bike you shouldnt start out on a crotch rocket.Riding in a parking lot and the road/highway is 2 different things.I would say get a 500cc or smaller.Get used to riding on 2 wheels before you do 175 mph.I used to ride a friends 72 Harley Sporster 1000 w/ drag bars and straight pipes and motor work blk and chrome.It was fun and LOUD.It would do a lil over 100 but I didnt need to go any faster :) Other then that,I dont mess with street bikes.
,,,,If you do buy SportBike,make sure you invest in a good helmet :)

ATC crazy
03-13-2003, 05:29 PM
I dont want to bash on people but just because they get a crotch rocket dosent mean that they are going to go 175+ on a highway, and race everyone they see :? I'd buy one because of the style/looks, and power. Power as in TQ/HP and not in speed. Although sometimes you might just have to push the bike to its limits. My dads Yamaha touring bike has more HP (135) than any currently available BMW crotch rocket. I don't know about the other Jap bikes but I bet its more than most of 'em too.

Tri-Z_Jim
03-13-2003, 09:16 PM
I think about speed and sudden stops when I see a sportbike.Most everyone I know with 1 is into speed and getting there ASAP. When I said "get a 500cc or smaller"I meant a bike with less TQ/HP.

My dad had a Honda Goldwing Interstate(not sure on Torque or HP) and it did 150mph with him and me on it.

Jonathan must be going to a college where it doesnt snow:)

Jonathan
03-14-2003, 12:05 AM
Jonathan must be going to a college where it doesnt snow:)
Yep :-D , well, it does snow a couple times a year, but it's only on the ground for a couple of days.

I've decided to ditch the trx I was gonna get and spend the money on a cr 125 or 250 since I've always wanted a dirt bike and so I can get used to 2 wheels. It'll also help to ease my parents into accepting bikes.

I'm really not worried about hurting my self on anything, I've always ridden everything within my limits. It took me several months to get the confidence to see what my Arctic Cat could do (it kicked my friend's Eiger's ass). I've never had an accident due to out-riding my self.