PDA

View Full Version : Any automatic trans re-builders here?

Jason Hall
03-09-2006, 12:56 AM
I just got finished re-building the 4L60E in my 95 S-10 blazer. It took me 2 days to do It & It was'nt to much fun, but all went well. I ordered a Transgo rebuild Kit off E-bay & also put a Transgo re-programmer kit In It & man It's got nice firm shifts, I love It. You tranny guys have my respect for sure, what a job.

200x Basket
03-09-2006, 07:57 AM
i rebuild my c4 race tranny for my mustang in the sig. i have also rebuilt a c6. they are not all that hard but there are 1,000,000,000 parts in there!!

1984kxtTECATE
03-09-2006, 08:38 AM
Best thing to rember about tranny's is that they are put together peice by peice and tooken apart peice by peice, my father is teaching me the rebuild process with a turbo 350 right now, I plan on doing my racing C4 tranny myself when the time comes, hopefully I do it right its gotta hold over 500hp and 550 ft/lbs of torque :naughty:

max
03-09-2006, 08:49 AM
It takes a very good mechanic to successfully build a tranny. There are many special tools im sure you didnt have but you used your smart mechanical knowledge to find something that will work.

Did you take the low-reverse piston out or did you leave it in the case.(its the piston thats in the back of the case)

Jason Hall
03-09-2006, 09:11 AM
Max, I did take the low-reverse piston out. I made a tool for turbo 350's about 12 years ago, It works like a charm. It was a bear getting It back In with the new seals on though. Alot harder than the 350's always seemed to go In. I tested It with air through the port In the back of the housing to make sure It sealed. I also learned from the old 350's how to check the piston seals & teflon rings by stacking the clutch hubs on the front pump & blowing air through the oil passages. I bought the teflon seal re-sizer for the turbine shaft (I think thats what they call It). I don't think this Is something I would want to do everyday, cause It Is kinda mind boggling. I did enjoy doing It though. The Info that comes It the transgo kits is pretty awesome I have to admit. I'm glad I bought the kits I did,cause I learned alot of cool ways to stiffen up the shifts.