PDA

View Full Version : how to make website, any website how to forums

dreadhed
03-11-2006, 11:10 PM
I would like to make a web site. I really have no idea what I am doing. Does anyone know if there are any good forums for beginners like me where I can get some advise. Or any good sites with in. I really don't know where to start. I treid yahoo but I did not like it. Any advice is appericated.
Thanks
Gabe

hancadam
03-11-2006, 11:18 PM
www.w3schools.com has some really good tutorials on how to code HTML. You can make webpages with just notepad with HTML. Dreamhost is a good web hosting site. It is like 30 bucks for your domain name and 10 bucks a month from there on. There are also alot of free HTML editors availible, just google it. Hope this is a start, Adam.

hancadam
03-11-2006, 11:21 PM
Copy the below text to notepad, and save it as test.html to your desktop and open it. This is a example of a very simple webpage.

<html>
<body>
<body bgcolor="yellow">
<br>
<font size="10"><pre><b><big> Three wheelers ROCK!!!!</pre></b></big></font>
<br>
<b><*Edited*>This makes text undelined.</*Edited*></b>
<pre><li>It is quit simple once you learn the basics.</li></pre>
<pre><li>This is a very simple web page.</li></pre>

dreadhed
03-11-2006, 11:42 PM
Wow that's neat. I appericate your help. That does give me some where to start.

hancadam
03-12-2006, 12:10 AM
No problem. I do IT work for a living. I am actually at work now. Let me know if you need anything else.

350Xhilaration
03-12-2006, 04:38 PM
Good advice on getting started. Frontpage, Dreamweaver and the like make it easier in the short term, but you don't learn much (and they fill your pages with too much garbage code).

Straight HTML is the best way to do it starting out. HomeSite is good to use for some more advanced stuff. Learn CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) to help with standardizing the "look" of the pages you create.

http://www.w3.org is another great resource for info.

There are quite a few opensource forum downloads out there. They're usually stripped down with less functionality, but well worth the price. I run my forum on a perl based board, YaBB (yet another bulletin board).

A buddy of mine hosts and is very reasonable, register a domain name (~$9) with one of the many registrars and look him up at http://www.shriftsbnc.com if you're serious about getting a website up and running.

Check my message board to see what the YaBB looks like. (Hit the 350xriders.com link in my sig)

Good luck!!

dreadhed
03-12-2006, 10:00 PM
350x you have added to your site since I have last been there. It looks nice.

I appericate your help. I won't need forums. I am making a busniess site. I'm going to try to learn CSS after I fingure out some of the HTML.

Can I just use Dreamweaver or something & not have to learn HTML & all that? I just need to be able to update it easy & often.
Thanks
Gabe

350Xhilaration
03-13-2006, 10:03 PM
Sure...Dreamweaver is decent in that it allows you to code in straight html, or "what you see is what you get" style or a combo of the two. It also has many "tag" dropdowns to pick from.

I used it a bit when starting out, then kinda got away from it. In my opinion it's far better than using frontpage.

Do you have a copy of Dreamweaver or access to one?

dreadhed
03-13-2006, 10:09 PM
No. I don't have dreamweaver. I have just got started on doing this. I have been doing a little learing of HTML.

Why did you get away from it? Does it limit you on what you can do?

350Xhilaration
03-13-2006, 10:23 PM
not really limit you with what it can do, but what you learn...or don't learn. I like to know what I type and what it does...instead of clicking stuff or dragging and dropping and grabbing corners of pics and resizing...etc.

dreadhed
03-13-2006, 10:30 PM
Right on I can see what your saying. The more you learn the better.

Can you still go and put in your own HTML on Dreamweaver if you need to? How much did Dreamwearver cost you?

350Xhilaration
03-13-2006, 10:51 PM
yeah that's one nice thing with DW...you can go straight HTML too. And see what you just typed in a "preview with browser" or refreshing the current page.

I haven't bought software in years...all goes on the company assets (computers).
I got it from work...freebie.

check this tutorial before you spend any money on it...
http://www.intranetjournal.com/articles/200002/dream_index.html