PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy property located next to a Motocross track if it was resonable?

Billy Golightly
03-15-2006, 01:18 AM
Like not priced obnoxiously high, but within reason and inline with other properties in teh area? I know that i sure would, I mean you could ride whenever you wanted to. It'd be nice.

Dammit!
03-15-2006, 01:28 AM
As long as the opening and closing time was reasonable I'd consider it. I'd have to see what the dust situation was like too.

BigGreenMachine
03-15-2006, 01:32 AM
Good points Dammit but hell yeah I'd jump on it in a second. I have my land picked out where I am to build a house and I have the harescamble/mx track plotted out in my mind already where it will run around the land.

Tri-ZNate
03-15-2006, 10:07 AM
Not only could you ride whenever you wanted but it would sem like the property value would go up once its a well known track. Kinda like living next to Glamis.

LonesomeTriZ
03-15-2006, 10:42 AM
It depends. I personlly would jump on any land surounding your place. I love it out there. But, if it is closer to town like the few out here, hell no.

bigredhead
03-15-2006, 10:56 AM
How " close " to the track would this be ?

Dammit has a good point, dust might be a factor.. noise being the other.. but with a good amount of trees to shield dust and noise it would be ok ..

2 stroke motors at 5AM would be a problem for me.. lol...

Lomax
03-15-2006, 11:11 AM
I dont think that it would bother me because I crank stuff up and run it at all hours of the night anyway, my concerns would be dust and trash. People litter, we all have, and if I was picking up trash out of my drive and ditch everyday I would get annoyed. If I knew that those 2 concerns were nothing to worry about, Ride like hell and get me some tickets :lol:

Billy Golightly
03-15-2006, 03:52 PM
The house would be within a 1/4 mile of the actually track area but your property would border the land used for the riding area, say the place where everyone came in and parked at. The land isn't completely flat and theres also a bunch of trees around everywhere.

Edit, forgot to mention times of use would be daylight hours only not to exceed 8 to 8

Tri-ZNate
03-15-2006, 03:59 PM
Have you looked into finding property values surrounding, lets say Glamis, before and after it was instated? People love statistics, especially anti-ATV people.

Billy Golightly
03-15-2006, 04:06 PM
Yes thats what I had last hearing, and it worked then but the people that are fighting me have copies of all of my reference material from what I did last time so I gotta re-do everything from scratch again :mad: :mad: :mad:

nouseforaname90
03-15-2006, 04:07 PM
How did they get their hands on your reference material?

Billy Golightly
03-15-2006, 04:54 PM
I had to give a copy of it to the zoning office when I handed a booklet to each one of the guys on the zoning board. It was admitted as evidence, more or less.

Jeffro33
03-15-2006, 06:16 PM
Depends on if it is next to a guy name Billy or not.:w00t: :w00t: I wish I had the land to build a track.

TimSr
03-15-2006, 08:06 PM
I can tell you what i would look at. Id look at hours of operation, frequency of events that draw large crowds, noise, and dust. Traffic wouldnt be much of a factor to me.

Most tracks here only hold actual racing a couple times a month. On practice days, there usually arent that many there at one time. When some are coming in, others are leaving.

Noise would be a big thing for me, and two strikes are NOT the problem. Its some of the aftermarket 4 stroke exhausts that you can hear for miles, and the pitch of the sound is like bass thumping from a stereo through walls and such where 2 stroke noise just doesnt penetrate. Even though its a race track, Id want a particular decibal level to be enforced. Especially if it were a near daily thing. I dont think the equipment to check it is very expensive.

Dust can be controllled, but its effectiveness really depends on the track operators.

82300R
03-15-2006, 08:08 PM
yes, as long as there were no saftey issues and as you mentioned reasonable operating hours.:)

firefirefire90
03-15-2006, 08:16 PM
I would, and i see you all making refrences to glamis. What you may forget..is Billy's track or area may be a few acres..while glamis is like 800,000 acres. Plus all the homes anywhere's near to Glamis are in little towns pretty far away from all the action...but i would buy a house there as long as riding time is more like 8-6...i like to sleep!

xd 200x
03-15-2006, 08:28 PM
no. The value would go way down. Not smart at all

Dammit!
03-15-2006, 09:33 PM
I would seriously think about building an irrigation system into the MX track to make dust control easier. Water it down a bit between motos. Easier and probably cheaper in the long run than a water truck.

Operating hours being 8 to 8 would seriously piss me off. 8:00am is WAY too early. 8:00pm on weeknights is pushing it too. 10-6 during the week is way more reasonable. 10-8 maybe on weekends or special events or something. Either that or I would very seriously consider having a couple of off days per week. I don't see it being busy enough to justify having it open 7 days anyway. Two weekdays off would give you ample time for maintenance also. If it were me I'd probably only make it open to the public thursday through sunday. That's the way some of the local tracks were back where I grew up and they were way the hell out in the middle of nowhere.

Good point was made about the aftermarket four stroke exhaust systems out there. Some of those things are so loud now they actually cause pain in my ears at the dunes. Really ridiculous (not to mention pointless). I'd be getting out the shotgun if I lived next to that level of noise everyday. I think that's going to be your biggest problem actually. People are really going to be complaining about the thumpers so be prepared to deal with it. You can hear some of them from miles away. Again, if it were me, I'd enforce sound decibel restrictions. Sound meters from radio shack don't cost much. When people show up with something that is just obnoxious, test it and show them how ridiculous it actually is.

Remember it isn't just your neighbors you're considering. It's your own family that has to deal with it as well.

Hope that helps. Good luck with it.

350Xhilaration
03-15-2006, 09:51 PM
For my situation in life right now, I'd have to say not a chance. If it were 5 miles away...you bet. My wife works a lot of night shifts and needs to sleep during "operating hours".

Some single or younger guys would prolly love it. Heck, at one point in my life I would have too.

3leggeddog
03-15-2006, 09:54 PM
silly question for me,HELL YEAH.as long as you let me ride when i want,lol.

Howdy
03-15-2006, 09:58 PM
Something to think about: People buy houses next to airports, train tracks, ect. Yep, I would buy a house close by.
Howdy

Billy Golightly
03-15-2006, 10:07 PM
no. The value would go way down. Not smart at all

What makes you believe that?

Banage
03-15-2006, 10:10 PM
Depends on the hours open. Got a wife and 2 kids to worrie about

xd 200x
03-15-2006, 10:37 PM
What makes you believe that?

Um if you bought a house or built a house and the guy next door opens and atv track. Do you think people will pay more for it? Come on man while it's cool and all. Lets be realslistic. People live in the country so that they dont have to deal with noise and traffic. What are you bringing to the neighborhood. also homes near airports and railroad tracks are alot cheeper.

Actually your own property value will go down as well.

For example houses where im from go for anywhere between 250-1 million. Houses near the airport on the other side of the county go for between 60 to 250 The only reason for this is becuse of the airport. (same schools Yada Yada)

If I was you I would make offers to buy the houses and property around you If you want to not make people lose money.

Billy Golightly
03-15-2006, 11:11 PM
Um if you bought a house or built a house and the guy next door opens and atv track. Do you think people will pay more for it? Come on man while it's cool and all. Lets be realslistic. People live in the country so that they dont have to deal with noise and traffic. What are you bringing to the neighborhood. also homes near airports and railroad tracks are alot cheeper.

Actually your own property value will go down as well.

For example houses where im from go for anywhere between 250-1 million. Houses near the airport on the other side of the county go for between 60 to 250 The only reason for this is becuse of the airport. (same schools Yada Yada)

If I was you I would make offers to buy the houses and property around you If you want to not make people lose money.

I dont believe thats accurate. I pulled comps on many properties adjoining MX tracks within the state and none of them lost value, most increased. Some by alot. The other properties that only go for 60-250k in your area, are the houses the same square footage and build quality? Same lot sizes? Road construction the same quality and standard? Utilities? Theres so many things that can effect a property value.
No, I dont believe anyone is going to pay more for property next to a track then what the going rate in the area is. But I do know there are many many many people in my area that have to travel 2.5 hours to the closest track and do it every weekend because they have a child or children involved with the sport. If they could move somewheres next to a track where they could go practice all the time and not have to travel I'm sure it would be benneficial to them.

What am I bringing to the community? A place where people can go and recreate in an area with such a lack of that to the point that people gather in grocery store parking lots to socialize. There are no legal riding areas in this county. A place where families of riders came come out together and enjoy the sport and each others company without going out of the county or even out of the state. More money is spent in this area from residents and visitors economicly, buying gas, food and camping supplies, bike parts, repair and service, the interest of Riding oriented businesses coming to the area such as dealerships, repairshops, aftermarket part manufactures, ect.

TimSr
03-15-2006, 11:29 PM
I do know that if I lived next door to you, my ATV salvage and parts business would be back in full swing, Id be out there tonight installing my coin operated bike wash, and Id be putting together a concessions trailer. Point is, the park itself is not the only one who benfits finacially when racers come in. Typically racers, by the nature and the cost of the sport, spend lots of money in businesses near the track.
A great example is the Rumble on the Ridge ATV Rally. When a few thousand riders show up, the tiny town of Adena, OH is doing finacial cartwheels, and teh slightly bigger town of Cadiz next door does the same. My firend just booked a room in the Cadiz motel for April 7th for the ride April 8. They had two rooms left. This motel is normally almost a vacant lot! The Cadiz McDonalds runs Rumble Specials all weekend. The gas station in Adena is normally pumped dry, and ice becomes a scare commodity.
While this is not a race, it shows what ATV events bring to depressed communities. http://www.rumbleontheridge.homestead.com/ Many local business sponsers are listed on their website. Maybe some calls and staments from these merchants could help with your case.

Jeffro33
03-16-2006, 09:06 AM
The way I look at it is. Back in the day most small towns built race tracks (Hickory, NC/ Knoxville,Iowa/ Bristol,Tn). They they are multi million dollor towns. They bring the communities together. People know every race night where everybody will be. I remember back in High school the car show on Tuesday night is where everybody was at. So everybody met up there. Instead of trying to figure out where everybdy might be at. It is great for small towns.

Dirtcrasher
03-16-2006, 08:32 PM
Just curious, how many acres is there actually there, both total and track?? 1/4 mile from a track is real close to someone who doesn't like to be bothered or worse yet, hates dirtbikes/ATV's for some ungodly reason. I have a private track on my land, the track is 1.5 acres and my land only 2.5 acres. No one bothers me because I am basically the only one riding on it. But if I wanted a real Southwick MX 338 professional type track I would imagine I'd need about 25 acres or more of land to surround it properly and have parking, sound deadening distance and stands etc.

Billy Golightly
03-16-2006, 08:37 PM
Track area itself will be about 10 acres, another 10 or so dedicated to parking. The entire property is about 80 acres.

xd 200x
03-17-2006, 12:18 PM
In that case billy I retract what I said 80 acres is hudge. I thought you were trying to do it on like 10. Im sorry dude I would live next to it then.