PDA

View Full Version : Whats with all the rules man!!!!!!!!

lonestar
03-18-2006, 07:22 PM
I have not been to the sand dunes in about 15 years, this last weekend I took my newly restored T-3. Before I even got the thing unloaded a guy walks up to me and says I got to have a flag and a helmet. so needless to say I didn't have either one. That blew that whole days ride. I guess alot of things has changed since I use to ride.

nouseforaname90
03-18-2006, 07:27 PM
Dunes have become alot more crowded in the recent years and people have been going faster.. not a good combination. Without all of these saftey rules, a lot of people would be dying in the dunes from getting hit or flipping their ATV. Its a necessity..

200x Basket
03-18-2006, 07:28 PM
safety is a *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited*, aint it

bigredhead
03-18-2006, 07:54 PM
You have to agree with the helmet portion tho.. were you planning on riding bare skull ?

old honda dealr
03-18-2006, 07:58 PM
Yes even though alot of you may not agree I absolutely do not wear helmets. They do help in alot of situations but they also have there downsides. Like blindspots, harder to hear, Too hot in the summer time. Everyone has there own opinion and I respect that but mine is I wont wear a helmet. Just my .02 cents.

TimSr
03-18-2006, 08:29 PM
I always wear a helmet, as an example to my son who must also alwasy wear one, but I still believe that any adult has the right to ride without one if he chooses. I dont think its wise, but nobody ever injured another person by not wearing a helmet, though it does not much help the negative image of ATVers when you crash and get a head injury without one.

Flags, on the other hand are so others can see you and avoid cresting a hill to a nice head on collision. You are putting others in danger when you do not use a flag, so I support flags in certain areas as a requirement. If a flag was only to protect you, Id say you had the right to ride without one, but its to protect whoever else happens to be riding in the same area.

On private land, a landowner has the right to make whatever rules he wants for riders on his land, and his rights trump the rider's rights.

200xcellent
03-18-2006, 08:34 PM
Well said Tim. To me, helmets and seat belts are one in the same. Once you get used to wearing them you dont feel right without them on.

old honda dealr
03-18-2006, 11:58 PM
Well guess that puts the other theory to rest also. I have a 1957 chevy truck as a daily driver. And it doesnt require seat belts.

200x Basket
03-19-2006, 12:06 AM
i agree on the helmets and seat belts, it should be your choice. BUT if you are injured without them, i think the insurance company should deny your claim.

there is no sense in the rest of us paying for you to think you are bullet proof.

Howdy
03-19-2006, 12:17 AM
i agree on the helmets and seat belts, it should be your choice. BUT if you are injured without them, i think the insurance company should deny your claim.

there is no sense in the rest of us paying for you to think you are bullet proof.

I agree 100%. I never used a seat belt until I seen a accident first hand that changed me ( guy was stuck in a winshield ). Now I wear one more often then not.
Howdy

Dammit!
03-19-2006, 01:18 PM
Yes even though alot of you may not agree I absolutely do not wear helmets. They do help in alot of situations but they also have there downsides. Like blindspots, harder to hear, Too hot in the summer time. Everyone has there own opinion and I respect that but mine is I wont wear a helmet. Just my .02 cents.

That part is 100% incorrect at anything over 15mph. Helmets cut out wind noise which allows you to hear better. I can't even tune my bike properly without wearing a helmet because I can't hear the engine without one.

Russell 350X
03-20-2006, 09:21 AM
I always wear a helmet anymore, to many close calls.

OldSchoolin86
03-20-2006, 09:38 AM
The road laws are in place to protect the tax payers. Don't let any add fool you, the gov doesn't care about you as a person. The truth is that a good amount of tax money is spent on taking care of the victims of accidents. These laws help cut down the amount of money you and I pay to keep people alive in resident care and other programs. Seatbelts work way more then they harm and the same goes for helmets. People say it's our right not to wear safety protection but what about other peoples right to not supporting victims that could have saved themselves with some protection? Either side you choose in this conversation is a violation of personal rights. Insurance runs out and then the tax payers are left holding the bag.

ATC crazy
03-20-2006, 11:45 AM
I also agree with Tim. Helmets and seatbelts should be a choice when riding/driving. When Im just riding around my house, I dont usually wear a helmet because there are no jumps, and I wont reach speeds of over 15-20 mph. I also dont wear a seatbelt in my truck unless I will be on the interstate for a period of time.

I know its not smart to not wear one...but thats my choice. I think they are annoying...constantly rubbing on my neck, wont allow me to reach to the other side of my truck, ect...

chris200x
03-20-2006, 01:44 PM
Well maybe if you guys smack your skull off a tree or go through the windshield once like I did you'll have a change of heart. I never did either of them until I learned the hard way. Now I wont get in a vehicle or ride with out the proper saftey gear. Soo young... Sooo dumb.. lol

crackshot
03-20-2006, 02:04 PM

Oh puhleez. Weak ass excuses. Think that when they will be scooping your brains up with a spatula.
Plus when you get hurt, it will give ALL atv's a bad name.

ATC crazy
03-20-2006, 04:48 PM
Well maybe if you guys smack your skull off a tree or go through the windshield once like I did you'll have a change of heart. I never did either of them until I learned the hard way. Now I wont get in a vehicle or ride with out the proper saftey gear. Soo young... Sooo dumb.. lol

I WAS wearing my helmet and goggles when I fractured my skull and got 120 stitches across my forehead. Not a scratch in the fricken helmet! :mad: If I werent wearing the helmet and goggles, then I would've just ended up with a fractured skull....the goggles is what cut me down to the bone...and the helmet did absolutely nothing! :mad:

Dont get me wrong...I do wear my helmet when I go to the National Forest trails, or when I ride somewhere that Im not familiar with....but I wont wear one around my trails.

Dammit!
03-22-2006, 10:51 AM
I WAS wearing my helmet and goggles when I fractured my skull and got 120 stitches across my forehead. Not a scratch in the fricken helmet! :mad: If I werent wearing the helmet and goggles, then I would've just ended up with a fractured skull....the goggles is what cut me down to the bone...and the helmet did absolutely nothing! :mad:

Dont get me wrong...I do wear my helmet when I go to the National Forest trails, or when I ride somewhere that Im not familiar with....but I wont wear one around my trails.

If you hit your head hard enough to fracture your skull with a helmet on, you'd have been killed without it.

Also, a good quality, proper fitting helmet is key. Too big and they don't work anywhere near as effectively. The fit should be real snug. Your head should not be able to move around inside the helmet. It should be like part of your head but without being so tight that it's uncomfortable.

I went through a phase of not wearing one. Wiped out when I was just casually riding around and smacked my head into the ground hard enough to ring my bell. Probably had a concussion but didn't go to the doctor. This was in wet sand. If it had been hard pack, aspault, rocks or if there had just been a tree root sticking out right there I very well might have gotten myself killed or at least very seriously injured and this was in an area I knew like the back of my hand.

I dusted off the helmet the next day and haven't ridden more than a few hundred yards without one since.

The reason I went without them for a while, honestly, is that I didn't think they were "cool". After slamming my noggin down that hard during a low speed flip, I realized wearing a helmet is a hell of a lot cooler than being dead or in a wheel chair.

I still don't wear my seatbelt unless I see a cop though. :crazy: :lol:

1985 200s
03-22-2006, 12:11 PM
I think it should be a law to wear a seat belt and a helmet even in a vehicle. :Bounce J/K

farm mike
03-22-2006, 02:58 PM
well I have been hard into a windshield. mess of stitches and a dislocated hip.
BUT I made the mistake of letting another fella drive my truck after I pulled over to catch a nap. apparently a small mountain jumped out in front of us.
other than that I'll let my driving record stand for itself, been driving for 23 yrs and never had an accident beyond a couple minor disagreements w/ snowbanks in poor weather.
I rarely wear a seat belt in my truck or a helmet on my wheeler.
I do make my boys buckle up and wear helmets though. untill I think they are old enough to make up their own minds

chris200x
03-22-2006, 03:12 PM
This debate can go on forever and everyone has the right to choose. I was going to comment to ATCcrazy about his reply to my ealier post but dammit hit the nail on the head. If he wasn't wearing that helmet at the time he wouldn't be around today to debat this topic. I would much rather put up with a few stitches in my noggin than be killed or possibly paralyzed for the rest of my life. The same holds true for the seatbelt in a vehicle. I still have shards of glass in my head (right between my eyebrows as a matter of fact) becuase after the accident I begged them to stop diggin around under the skin to remove it all in the hospital. Now at night when i sleep sometimes I roll over and can feel the glass move around in there. But still it's much better than being dead or a veggie.

See, this is what bothers me so much that some folks could be so hard headed and think that its either cool or whatever to not use a brain bucket or a belt. Maybe once something like this happens to you and your fortunate enough to live through it you will see things a bit diffrently. But I guess some people will never learn.

3 weelin geezer
03-22-2006, 04:06 PM
I like my helmet because it keeps the sun from burning my head. I also wear long sleeves and pants to keep the flies from biting. Damn, those things are persistent. You think killing them will make them stop. Thats another thing a helmet is good for. For keeping the bugs out of your mouth when you yawn. The last one tasted like puke and felt like a little piece of chewed up carrot that went up my nose from the back. Ya think how can a little 1/2 gram bug cause a 300 lb atc to crash or go off a cliff? Kamikaze attack thats how.

350xBomb
03-27-2006, 06:27 AM

Hey wait...I pay for my insurance. I have for the last god-knows-how-long, and at 100 bucks a month for that long with very minimal claims, I think I have put in enough to get some out. Knock the people screwing the system not those who should get what they pay for. On the other hand, I think if one were to not wear a helmet or seat belt, then perhaps we shouldn't have to work as hard to recover all the little pieces after a wreck. They had a deathwish to begin with.