PDA

View Full Version : whats the best/quickest way to remove wallpaper?

dizasterzrfun69
03-20-2006, 07:08 PM
We went to walmart and bought a steamer, well it's about a joke and a half. I really dont know how to go about taking it off. we are going to paint the walls when it's all said and done but the big problem is getting the old wallpaper off. any ideas would be great.

Kevin

OldSchoolin86
03-20-2006, 07:13 PM
I've taken a lot of wallpaper down over the years kevin and nothing has ever worked better for me then a good old spray bottle full of hot water. I just spray liberally and the warm water loosens the glue. A little time and patience will go a long way. I'll take the spray bottle over steamers anyday.

slothminx
03-20-2006, 07:16 PM
Spray bottle with water, peel off the top water resistant layer and spray. Then use a putty knife or scraper of some sort to scrape it off. Tried a steamer and it didnt work.

Edit: Osin beat me:lol:

dizasterzrfun69
03-20-2006, 07:24 PM
Spray bottle with water, peel off the top water resistant layer and spray. Then use a putty knife or scraper of some sort to scrape it off. Tried a steamer and it didnt work.

Edit: Osin beat me:lol:

well i JUST discovered this method about 3 minutes ago LOL

Kevin

grundlegrabber
03-20-2006, 07:54 PM
There's a little scoring tool you can get, has several small wheels that look like spurs. You run it all over the wall and it leaves tiny holes in the wallpaper. This allows the steam or hot water or vinegar, or whatever you use, to get behind the paper and loosen the glue.

mymint87
03-20-2006, 08:13 PM
the scoring tool is called a Tiger Paw...it's where you lay the rear tire of a Tiger 500 and roost away...(the only way to remove wallpaper....hehe)

no,,seriously it is called a Tiger Paw

but this is how you do it

if the wallpaper top membrane can be pulled off ...do it while its dry

throw down towels along the base to soak up excessive water..then soak down with your garden hose wait and let it lifts, remove with a 6" broadknife then sponge remaining glue off with water

if the membrane cannot be pulled off dry ..then resort to the tiger paw first and then soak with water....the trick is keeping it soaked and allowing time to lift

thats what makes it easy

350Xhilaration
03-20-2006, 11:36 PM
Use the Tiger Paw, score the paper. Get DIF Wallpaper Stipper, mix with hot water according to instructions and put in a spray bottle. Soak the paper and peel off what you can. Resoak, peel, soak, peel. Eventually you'll need to use a putty knife and gently remove the adhesive left behind as to not dig into the drywall if you're planning to paint it afterwards. If you ever want paper to stick to it, you need to be sure to get all the glue off the wall first.

Good luck. I hate wallpaper with a passion.

OldSchoolin86
03-21-2006, 12:17 AM
Everytime I've used a scoring tool it's just made a bigger mess. I like taking big chunks off instead of little ones. Maybe I was using the tool wrong too, lol.

Dammit!
03-21-2006, 12:21 AM
Tiger Paw, then spray bottle with warm water mixed with laundry fabric softener. Works very well.

PowerTrike
03-21-2006, 01:11 AM
I always have used a tub of warm water and a rag, always soaking the rag in the water and rubbing the rag across the wallpaper. Then putty-knife, fingernail, etc.

Btw: tried one of those steamers before also. Luckily i was able to borrow it, not waste the $ on it. Worthless.

Bryan Raffa
03-21-2006, 08:13 PM
It was faster for me to drywall right over it tape and mud it than to remove it plus it looks better! LOL

69HemiGTX
03-21-2006, 10:28 PM
Tiger Paw, then spray bottle with warm water mixed with laundry fabric softener. Works very well.

Yup. My mom has used this method for years with very good results. Use cheap fabric softener because there's no need to spend a lot for a brand name. Plus, it smells better than vinegar. :lol:

dizasterzrfun69
03-22-2006, 12:56 AM

do you just mix it about 50/50 or what? I'll give it a try.

Kevin