PDA

View Full Version : NetZero hi speed internet

threewheelin-feelin
03-24-2006, 03:01 PM
hey guys any of yall have netzero hi speed....i got it yesturday and it has a setting to turn hi speed on and off....when hi speed is on it takes forever to load a site....and must of the time it wont load at all....but when i turn hi speed off it works fine still slow but it works better the hispeed.....any of yall have this same problem and know what the cause could be?

bigredhead
03-24-2006, 03:25 PM
Give the helpdesk a call !!!

( I work at a helpdesk.. trust me.. we love these calls ! lol... )

Maine_Triker
03-24-2006, 04:13 PM
I personally think dial-up with any kind of excellorater technology is very overrated and will always have problems like you're having. If it's available in your area... get Verizon DSL... best bargian out there right now.

Try turning on the hispeed, and closing and reopening your browser... or try reconnecting with it turned on. See if that works.

Phil

atctim
03-24-2006, 04:27 PM
If it's an additional program you had to install, try uninstalling it and see how that works - I think those programs are junky - all they do is load like the top 100 visited sites to a local server (at you ISP) so your computer pulls info from there and not the actual server location - thus making it faster, but for forums, such as this one, they DO NOT WORK!!! On dial-up 56K is the fastest you can go - hi speed program or not - telephone lines peak at 56K, period.

twgranger
03-24-2006, 06:11 PM
I had netzero before and it BLOWS!!!!!!!!! Always got got booted off line and could never get half the pages to open.

threewheelin-feelin
03-25-2006, 02:14 AM
yes im not very impressed with netzero so far....verizon dsl is avalible here but it takes like a month to get the stuff and i needed the internet at my house for homework....this summer ill probly get dsl....how much is dsl a month and what hardware is needed?

3 weelin geezer
03-25-2006, 06:50 AM
you get what you pay for.

Maine_Triker
03-25-2006, 10:39 AM
yes im not very impressed with netzero so far....verizon dsl is avalible here but it takes like a month to get the stuff and i needed the internet at my house for homework....this summer ill probly get dsl....how much is dsl a month and what hardware is needed?
Verizon sells there 768/128 DSL for like 14.95 a month... awesome price.

I'm not sure if they give you all the hardware free or not. But basicly all you really need is a modem, and a wireless router if you want to go w/wi-fi

MyMistress86R
03-25-2006, 11:18 AM
all they do is load like the top 100 visited sites to a local server (at you ISP) so your computer pulls info from there and not the actual server location - thus making it faster, but for forums, such as this one, they DO NOT WORK!!! On dial-up 56K is the fastest you can go - hi speed program or not - telephone lines peak at 56K, period.

Actually, the way these programs work is that they decrease the image quality, which decreases the file size, which makes the overall page load faster. As with most web pages, it's the advancements in graphics that have caused the problems for most dial-up users. These accelerators will not make much of an impact on sites that are purely or mostly text based, hence forums.

I have had NetZero, Netscape, a local provider with accelerator. They all work the same and not very well at that. The worst ones are the ones that force you to use their entire package with the software integrated into it.

The local provider I used was actually the best one I have ever used. Their accelerator was a standalone utility that ran in the background and you could use whatever browser and/or email program you wanted to.

200xcellent
03-25-2006, 12:46 PM
I have the earthlink accelerator with my dial up and it loads 3ww and other forums just as fast as cable sometimes. I love it for regular browsing, downloading videos on the other hand, it has no effect.

Mike_Ham_250R
03-25-2006, 03:58 PM
Yes NetZero blows I have it.

threewheelin-feelin
03-26-2006, 04:34 AM
Verizon sells there 768/128 DSL for like 14.95 a month... awesome price.

I'm not sure if they give you all the hardware free or not. But basicly all you really need is a modem, and a wireless router if you want to go w/wi-fi
DSL only $14.95 a month....i heard it was $30....well sp far netzero has been a bog mistake....it took me about 10 mins to post this reply