PDA

View Full Version : how do you remove the front hubs/rotors on a 93 f150 4x4?

dizasterzrfun69
04-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Well i need to change the rotors on the front of my 93 f150 4x4. I just cant get the hubs off. I went and bought some special socket your supposed to use but all im doing is stripping out the little notches where the socket slides into. This this is pissing me off more than anyone knows. any info would be great. According to the manual i think it has a dana 44 front end, but then again this manual hasnt helped me one bit.

Kevin

q_r86250
04-03-2006, 12:45 AM
is it a star pattern bolt on the hubs?

if so i would say soak them in wd40 and to save on stripping them, take the tool if its a star pattern socket put it on an extension and give a few blows with a regular claw hammer and then try that.

hope this helps

ryan

Unclediezel
04-03-2006, 05:31 AM
somewhere on that big nut is a small metal "WEDGE" that stops the nut from backing out. It has to be removed . There also a series of circlips that lock everything in the tubes. "Muscle-ing" the nut wont help if the "SAFETY " devices are still in place.

PowerTrike
04-03-2006, 09:03 PM
You do need to buy a specific hub socket (I'm assuming you already did this) If you asked for one to fit a D44 for your truck you should have the right one. You probably have a Dana TTB 44. You have to use this hub socket to remove the two nuts that hold on the rotor assembly. After that I believe the whole assembly just slides off. I would highly reccomend constantly soaking the nuts with a penetrating fluid, like liquid wrench for a while. I snapped a breaker bar using an extension to try to get the hub nuts off my old jeep. Ended up buying a cheap impact wrench and it worked well, If you don't own one I would try borrowing one if you can... Ugg i gotta do the balljoints on my '89 with the same setup soon, then I can feel your pain again...

Goodluck

200xman
04-04-2006, 05:51 AM
Ford used 2 different styles of spindle nuts . One is a standard Dana 44 socket with the 4 teeth and the other is a special spring loaded locking nut that needs a different socket. I ran into this when I was doing the front ends in 2 93 Broncos and they were different.

Lomax
04-04-2006, 12:19 PM
Its not reverse thread is it?