PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever epoxy coat their garage floor?

Dammit!
04-02-2006, 04:47 PM
Not sure exactly what the stuff is called. Just wondering approximately how much a 2 car garage would cost to coat and what kind of prep work needs to be done first.

My garage looks like crap. Sick of looking at it like that. Not to mention it seems like cleanup would be easier. I figure coating the floor and a fresh coat of bright white paint on the walls and ceiling would also boost the ambient light levels quite a bit so I can see what I'm doing a little better.

Infinity Cycle Supply LLC.
04-02-2006, 04:54 PM
Not sure exactly what the stuff is called. Just wondering approximately how much a 2 car garage would cost to coat and what kind of prep work needs to be done first.

My garage looks like crap. Sick of looking at it like that. Not to mention it seems like cleanup would be easier. I figure coating the floor and a fresh coat of bright white paint on the walls and ceiling would also boost the ambient light levels quite a bit so I can see what I'm doing a little better.

Probably a few hundred and they are wonderful. Just sprinkle the cleaner they give you on the floor hose out and let dry. Them apply it, cleanup is much better afterwards.

mymint87
04-02-2006, 05:57 PM
let me know the name of the paint suppliers near your home and I'll tell you product and prep...

I always use a 2 component aliphatic urethane or a solvent based epoxy

it withstands full water submersion and every chemical you can throw at it....

slippery as hell when wet but I would still aviod throwing silica sand in it for an aggregate...reason being the sand can be crushed leaving a possible void in the membrane surface...

theres a product that is called "shark tooth" that is titanuim oxide in make up that can be used as an aggregate but i would avoid using any at all, makes it easier to maintain...i.e.clean up

ballpark for materials would be about 60.00 per 1 gallon kit, average 2 car garage would take 3 gallons for a good dry film thickness plus you would need a charcoal cartraige (sp.) breathing resperator for about 25.00 so you don't die while it's venting off or drying..you need about 20.00 for a gallon of proper solvent for clean up or whatever... and last but not least, about 10.00 for a throw away brush and rollers

Dammit!
04-02-2006, 06:09 PM
How long does it take this stuff to dry? I'm wondering what I do with my trikes etc while I'm doing this. I was thinking move everything to one side of the garage and do one side at a time.

Red Rider
04-02-2006, 08:38 PM
How long does it take this stuff to dry? I'm wondering what I do with my trikes etc while I'm doing this. I was thinking move everything to one side of the garage and do one side at a time.That's the way I did my 2 car garage, moved everything to one side, and painted them a few weeks apart. It looks great so far, and cleanup is a breeze. The floor has been coated now for about 6 months. I used Rust-oleum Epoxy Shield 2-part epoxy when I did my floor. I wasn't planning on sprinkling the little colored paint chips onto the wet floor, because I thought they would make it difficult to find the inadvertantly dropped small nuts, bolts, screws, etc., but it just looked too plain without them, so I went ahead did the sprinkling. The prep was easy, just use some degreaser on the really bad grease/oil/gas stains, and then use the acid/etcher, which roughens the concrete surface for a good adhesion. Let it dry real overnight, not a problem in Phoenix or Las Vegas, then paint the next day, that is a problem in Phoenix, especially during the summer. Once you've mixed the epoxy, you've got a limited amount of working time before it sets up. Just follow the directions and have at it!

Dave223
04-02-2006, 08:46 PM
Ive done a few floors with epoxy. We always use muratic acid to etch the concrete and lift the stains. Be careful with this stuff!!!! wear good rubber gloves, and use baking soda and water to neutralize it. DONT get it on your skin or breathe the fumes!!!! Once youve painted, setup fans blowing out of the garage to help with the smell. Hope this helps, Dave

mymint87
04-02-2006, 11:26 PM
How long does it take this stuff to dry? I'm wondering what I do with my trikes etc while I'm doing this. I was thinking move everything to one side of the garage and do one side at a time.

typically all epoxies take 7 days to fully cure

but that doesnt mean you have to stay off it for a week...........epoxies can withstand moderate traffic after 24 hrs.......

as far as doing only half at a time, i don't see any problem with "cold joints" (or lap marks) between sections.......I would be concerned with adhesion if the two halves were done more than a week apart or the fully cured time.

the main thing is deciding product...there are tons out there each with there own particular specs on prep....but bottomline, all of them are pretty mindless to apply

you don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a painter......

one more thing...as far as "pot life"....the more vigoriously you mix the kit, the faster it will "kick" or set up, appropiate thinners can slow this process if you plan on doing it in dry/hot conditions

btw, the 2 component aliphatic blah blah, i talk about is commonly used in exterior applications under county state and federal specs in El Centro...it's well known for color and gloss retention

Good luck

blue27
04-03-2006, 09:19 AM
http://www.ucoatit.com/

250rAL
04-03-2006, 10:28 AM
slippery as hell when wet but I would still aviod throwing silica sand in it for an aggregate...reason being the sand can be crushed leaving a possible void in the membrane surface...

I always wondered what happens when you pull the car in with snow on the tires....instant back door?

Trike Dude
04-05-2006, 12:54 AM
I always wondered what happens when you pull the car in with snow on the tires....instant back door?

That is a very good question!

xd 200x
04-07-2006, 01:57 PM
www.garagejunkies.net

Cody
04-07-2006, 03:14 PM
http://www.ucoatit.com/

I saw that in a magazine, I was going to post about it. But looks like he beat me to it :p

Rm250RF900R
04-07-2006, 03:19 PM
I was watching one of those sunday afternoon mechanic shows on spike tv and they did the ucoatit to the garage. The end result was very nice. Might be worth doing.

ScottZJ
04-07-2006, 06:51 PM
Yeah I have already thought about doing this to my garage too. Problem is I have a 3 car garage so its gonna cost me big! But I figured I could do the section the cars are in first and then move the trikes over once completed and put them on the other side to do the 3rd car garage. Hey Minty......thanks for the info man, you always did know your paints hehe;)

edog
04-07-2006, 07:45 PM
The best way is to do as the directions say.This will give your new the floor the best results.Do it all at once or don't do it at all.Till you have all the money that is.

I have been thinking of doing this to my garage as well.

ScottZJ
04-07-2006, 07:50 PM
The best way is to do as the directions say.This will give your new the floor the best results.Do it all at once or don't do it at all.Till you have all the money that is.

I have been thinking of doing this to my garage as well.

Well the problem with doing a 3 car garage isnt the money part. Its finding a place to put everything. I have a 26ft enclosed trailer full of trikes, lawn mowers and lawn tractors. Then I have a full garage of trikes, tool chest, parts, and cars lol.

Dammit!
04-07-2006, 07:58 PM
Yeah there's no way I could even do my little 2 car garage all at once. I have no place to put everything. The slabs are seperated though so it won't make any difference other than making it take longer.

I'm planning to do a lot of things in the garage this summer (if I can take the heat which honestly sometimes I can't). Fix up all the cracks in the ceiling and walls, repaint (even considering a racing stripe along the walls, lol), better lighting, painted peg boards, shelving and then the epoxy'd floor would just be the icing on the cake.

I very well might even put a computer with broadband in there. I have enough spare computer parts that it would cost me little to nothing to do. Would be handy for looking at manuals and what not without having to print everything.

Dirtcrasher
04-08-2006, 10:27 AM
I coated my cellar with the rustoleum product for a machine shop. I scrubbed and scrubbed and rinsed and rinsed that floor and it is holding awesome. However, I will spend more next time for a more industrial coating, every time you drop something metal you get a small chip in the floor. It does make sweeping and cleanup very easy....