PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Class A license/airbrakes

hrc200x
04-02-2006, 06:32 PM
I'm thinking of getting a Class A with air brake endorsement. Can anyone give me the lowdown on the testing?

I understand there is a written test. How many questions? How many can you get wrong?

After you pass the written you take the road test correct? And after the written do you get a slip of paper that is supposed to help you on the pretrip inspection test?

One guy I talked to that took the test many years ago said he failed part of the driving test because he forgot to put on his 4 way flashers during a backup around a corner. When do you use 4 ways, I assume everytime you are backing up, or pulled over to the side of the road for an emergency or to check things out?

Any tips?

I found a web site that has sample questions that you can answer, then it corrects you. Seems like its testing your ability to read and understand the questions as much as its testing understanding class A material.

smokinwrench
04-02-2006, 07:10 PM
It is easy as can be. I have a class B with air brakes. Goto your local drivers license place and get the book. Study a little bit pass the written test then you go take the drivign test.

KASEY
04-02-2006, 08:14 PM
you also have to pass a DOT physical (cough please)
:lol: :lol: :lol: i have a CDL with haz mat , airbrakes ,doubles and triples ,,,

Dave223
04-02-2006, 08:33 PM
heres a site that gives you a test...for each category your interested in. http://www.layover.com/newbies/cdltest/

and another here http://www.usadrivesafe.com/cdlonline.asp

hrc200x
04-02-2006, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the links Dave. I do already have the heath card so that will be one last thing to worry about. Jeswinehart, I'm assuming up here that if you don't pass you get sent home. A friend of mine took it in minneapolis, he ran over a curb making a corner and I guess thats what failed him. I'll be doing mine in Duluth. Maybe the minneapolis place is so busy they need to keep the flow going so if you screw up there's no second chance, not sure how long you'd have to wait, possibly the next day or next time you could get an appointment.

For the pretrip inspection, does the teacher tell you somthing like " Point out some possible problems that could happen with the steering"? Or are you to run through the whole pretrip thing on your own? Looked like quite a bit of stuff, everything from checking lights to making sure there's no dents in the drive shaft to making sure the door shuts tight?

mywifeknowseverything
04-02-2006, 11:10 PM
you also have to pass a DOT physical (cough please)
:lol: :lol: :lol: i have a CDL with haz mat , airbrakes ,doubles and triples ,,,

Same Here....I have a Physical this Friday....I have to Cough once a yr...Normally your Physical is a 2 yr thing but if your on Meds....Its once a yr...:beer None of the Test is a Big Deal if you Study...

hrc200x
04-04-2006, 10:49 PM
yes, as of now I only have a Class D license. To drive a delivery truck at work I guess we needed a medical card, so got that a few years ago. Will be taking the written test for class A/airbrakes next week, then road test a month from now.

LonesomeTriZ
04-05-2006, 11:31 AM
The best advice I can give is, don't hit anything.

grundlegrabber
04-06-2006, 09:33 PM
I'm sure it varies from state to state. I have a PA class B with airbrakes (straight truck only). I studied the PA commercial driver's manual pretty well and had no problem with the written test. You should be familiar with the mechanics of airbrake systems, there will be quite a few questions on it. Pretrip was pretty simple, and the instructor did guide me a little bit. Just read and memorize the book stuff for the written. As for the driving, it's all in the skill. Can't help ya there!

bearclawchris
04-06-2006, 10:40 PM
I got my a class cdl in the early 90's in Illinois. My best advice is study your states manual/studyguide. I remember some totally rediculous stuff like what five things can go wrong with your wheels and lugnuts etc. I suppose it all depends on how good a mood the person testing you is in when you are there. Seems like most dealings with the dmv the people are way uptight. I also heard now you might need to get a federal background check for Hazmat endorsement. Good Luck and study hard.

Dave223
04-06-2006, 11:05 PM
when I took my cdl pretrip down here in La. You walk around the truck, starting on one corner pointing out things that you are supposed to be looking for. The inspector says nothing and takes notes on what you missed. I walked around and pointed out things like "front springs, no cracks, gouges or welds" "front rim, no cracks, bends, gouges or welds" "engine, no visible oil leaks, no audible air leaks" "fuel tank, no visible dents, cracks, welds, leaks" I had to do this all around the truck until I made it around. At our DMV you can go in and get free booklets that show what will be tested, maybe give em a call? hope this helps, Dave

sandpuppi101
04-08-2006, 12:23 PM
Like John said,up here in MI. you just keep taking and taking the test until you get the written passed! On the pre-trip ,up here you can actually ask for a cheet sheet and they will give you one! When you pass that and actually go for your drving part,don't forget to do a air brake test and make sure you have the warning lights comne on when you go below 60PSI.I hate driving trucks- I get to tool around Detroit and the Burbs in my P&h truck crane,now thats fun.It is about 60' long when it is folded up and sitting in the cradle!

hrc200x
04-08-2006, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the tips! From reading the posts it sounds like you have to remember everything on the truck to be checked. I was hoping that the instructor would ask you to check the springs make sure they arn't cracked, do a low air pressure test to make sure a buzzer comes on at 60psi.

The outside checks shouldn't be bad with a cheat sheet. What all inside stuff is there? There's a few tests alone on the brakes that can be done right?

1. parking brake pops on around 40 psi

2. buzzer around 60 psi

3. compressor stops pumping around 125psi

4. starts pumping at 100psi

They looking for all of them? Is there any more tests on the brakes?

what about when to use 4 way flashers? Just when pulled over for say an emergency or backing up?

mywifeknowseverything
04-08-2006, 08:30 PM
There are NO Cheat Sheets Allowed.. You dont walk around life with a Cheat Sheet:lol:

Just a bit of Advise....When doing the Walk Around....Make sure you Touch and Talk about everything you see..(when I did mine I even crawled under the Trailer )..Do this until the DMV person tells you to move on...When doing the In the Cab Pre Trip..Talk about what you are doing and why...Im not sure about where you are but in CALI.... If you miss one Break Check....You are down the road and not allowed to return for 2 weeks...

hrc200x
04-09-2006, 05:18 PM
I'm fairly sure you get a cheat sheet up here. Not sure if you were talking to me or not, but I'm in Minnesota, not cali. Only a day and a half until the written!

mywifeknowseverything
04-09-2006, 07:05 PM
I'm fairly sure you get a cheat sheet up here. Not sure if you were talking to me or not, but I'm in Minnesota, not cali. Only a day and a half until the written!

Well,,,,Ok then,,,,If your confident they allow a Cheat sheet so be it..I would just feel more comfortable on the Road thinking that everyone that had a CDL didnt feel the need to use one..What happens when you forget it:idea:
"Well Im sorry Sir....I didnt mean to run over your car but my Breaks werent working properly....I forgot my cheat sheet this morning so I couldnt do my Pre Trip":wondering

edog
04-09-2006, 10:42 PM
I will be getting mine sone.I hope to be working for Pepsi within the next couple weeks.

hrc200x
04-11-2006, 06:28 PM
Took the test today, passed it no problem. It consisted of 4 tests, General knowledge - 50 questions, Combinations - 20 questions, air brakes - 20 questions, pre trip inspection - 7 questions. The hardest would probably be the combinations mainly because I havn't drove one before or read that part of the book as much as the other parts. I worked in a gravel pit last year so drove a dump truck around the private property alot, it sure helps to have the hands on experience even before the written test.

The guy giving the test also does the behind the wheel that we take in a month. He gave me the cheat sheet and the only thing they are worried about in Minnesota is the air brake system for the pretrip walk around, we only have to do one side of the vehicle at each axle for brake check. he made it sound fairly simple.

cole2676
04-11-2006, 09:45 PM
Im in MN I have my CDL took my test just off 35w and CR-J or CR-I not to sure its in circle pines I belive if you know where that is. just be careful the instructer tried to scare me while backing up to the fake loading dock by yelling STOP, very loudly in my ear, he about got knocked out, guess my reactions were good enough for him, I passed, youll do fine.