PDA

View Full Version : Pick-up guys, just a thought...

250r'en +TCB
04-03-2006, 09:52 PM
I am looking to buy a small pick-up truck, like a ford ranger or toyota tacoma. I have always liked diesels over gasoline engines though. With this little truck I will proubly be towing trailers, boats, jet-skis and of coarse ATV/C's!!!!
So here's just a thought.... Why don't they make 3.0L - 4.0L diesel angines and put them in small pick-up's (ranger/Tacoma)????? I would think I'm not the only one who would buy it, right??? They could turbo the engines, like Ford does with the 6.0L. My dad has one of those and they go great, not like the old diesels when they took forever to get up and go!!! Diesels have obvious advantages, they last londer and have WAY more torque!:naughty:
Would anyone else like to see this??? I sure would!!! A 4.0L turbo diesel ranger would be my dream truck! It wouldn't guzzle fuel like the big trucks....... Agian just and idea......:beer

Mobular
04-03-2006, 10:38 PM
Already very big in Europe, what with the insane fuel costs there. Most commercial vehicles and a high percentage of private use vehicles are diesel. Maybe you could source out a diesel powered specially imported vehicle to salvage the powertrain from.

69HemiGTX
04-03-2006, 10:56 PM
Ford already makes a 3.0L turbo diesel Ranger, just not in America. :crazy: I'm not sure, but I would be willing to bet you could score one south of the border. According to a lot of diesel forums and magazines, both Dodge and Toyota are considering oil burners in their small trucks.

PowerTrike
04-03-2006, 10:59 PM
I agree with you. I just read something in FOUR WHEELER mag. about Yota coming out with a new diesel for their pickups. I want a diesel taco!

ride_red_95
04-03-2006, 11:17 PM
that would be cool but in a chevy S-10

thefox
04-03-2006, 11:34 PM
Ford made a diesel Ranger back in 1983ish, they didn't make a lot of them but you can still find them if you look hard enough. I would think that a new version would sell well though considering the last old ranger I saw sell on eBay was around the $2k mark and it had a rusted out frame.

corndawg
04-03-2006, 11:40 PM
they are putting 3cyl turbo deisels in jeep libertys now...i think if they did the same with wranglers they would be an even better off road rig

Tri-ZNate
04-03-2006, 11:55 PM
look up volkswagon pickups on ebay. 4 cylinder, 4 speed diesel and get 42MPG! Were going to look at one tomorrow :D

firehart
04-04-2006, 12:30 AM
Toyota and Nissan also had diesel engines in their small pickups back in the early 80's. I had a friend who had a Nissan. It was a very good truck until he abused it by overloading it.

PowerTrike
04-04-2006, 12:36 AM
Jeep had a small Turbodiesel available in the XJ Cherokee back in the day. Way cool, but very gutless and problematic.

nate b
04-04-2006, 08:32 AM
lets not forget about the diesel Scouts

ScottZJ
04-04-2006, 08:40 AM
I am with you on the diesel thing. I love my F250 diesel and boy love the power and torque. But it was just too big to just cruz around town in, so I opted to get a smaller truck. I ended up getting a Nissan Frontier 2002 crew cab 4x4. It has nice power, (3.3L V-6) and has enough room for me and a buddy and gear. The gas mileage is about the same as the diesel but I dont know if you looked lately but diesel is much higher than regular gas. So I am saving tons with the Frontier.............peace

Maine_Triker
04-04-2006, 10:33 AM
look up volkswagon pickups on ebay. 4 cylinder, 4 speed diesel and get 42MPG! Were going to look at one tomorrow :D
LOL are you talking about those rabbits?? :lol: Those little things are hilarious... lol.... I do have admit they get great mileage. :beer

ATC crazy
04-04-2006, 01:54 PM
Diesel Ranger build-up on Pirate 4x4:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428552

1984kxtTECATE
04-04-2006, 02:34 PM
The newer diesels also suffer higher maintance costs, some of the fuel filters can range in upwards of $75, and the oil filters are way up there too. The only Diesel I truly like right now is the Cummins, awesome engine with proven reliability and I think Crysler has really steped up to the plate to engineer quality in there products, though they may not be perfect they are working on it. I would just stay with a gas engine, diesels need to have larger displacment to really get the decent power advantages they have.

cliff2302
04-05-2006, 12:31 AM
Not true about needing large displacement to utilize a diesel. The new Jettas and Bugs have a small turbodiesel that really motivates them. I rode in one, it put me back in the seat pretty hard. They also get upper 30s in MPGs. The biggest concern you'd have finding a motor is the new Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel (ULSD) that is comming out this summer i believe. Your going to need to find an engine with a reliable pump and maybe use a fuel additive. As for cummins, their is some big news. A new 6.7 liter version of their inline 6 is coming out in the states in dodges next year in cab and chassis trucks. This engine has been used in Europe and is proven. The variable turbo has something like powervalves in 2 strokes to change the boost. It is able to be used as an engine brake and for decreased warm up time. Read about it here http://www.turbodieselregister.com/06ntea/ . This website is great for cummins fans, but you need to subscribe to their quarterly to get a name and password for their forums. Lots of info on biodiesel. Enjoy

90nut
04-08-2006, 06:01 PM
The only real problem with diesels that I see and have experienced are the higher costs of maintanince. Parts are astronomically exspensive for them. As someone said earlier if you really want a diesel ranger you can find them if you look hard enough. Made for one year only (in the *Edited*.S.) I believe they are 3 cylinders also. It was rated as the best vehical for fuel economics in four wheeler magazine. Now that being said it was like 25mpg but my personal truck, a 92 ranger, 2.3 5 speed gets 23mpg on the highway. If you were to buy a ranger and are on a fairly tight budget look for the 89-92 years on the rangers. Stay away from the 3.0 though, Kind of gutless. The first two generation of rangers are the cheapest and easyiest trucks to work on. You will not find another truck that will run and last like those rangers. Mine has 221k on it and the only things I have replaced on it mechanically are: plugs and wires, air filter, timing belt and an oil pump. Timing belt was an original and it went out at 210k!! I love this truck and will probably always have one. But a tacoma is a great truck also.

HerculesEngine
04-08-2006, 10:47 PM
You could always build your own diesel. I talked to a fellow who was putting a 190D Mercedes 4 banger and tranny in a D50 Dodge- has given me some interesting ideas. I was always interested in finding an early 80's Isuzu Pup or the like-- turn up the pump and add a turbo :) . Of course, it gets crazier- I happen to be involved with a group of people who put wierd engines in trucks...

Detroits, Caterpillars, Cummins, Perkins, IH, Deutz, Mack.... yeah I've heard or seen em all in pickups before. With time, money, and a strong interest you can build just about anything. BTW if you want a cool truck a 3208N Cat will just fit in a 70s F250, just be prepared to do some major mods to the drivetrain... you're talking 634ci!!

My personal favorite is the 367 V6 Cummins.... unfortunately finding a V6 cummins is like finding a needle in a haystack... used to use them in Hough front end loaders and certain excavators. Eventually it will get done... I still don't have a body yet to drop one in, would be cool in a 77 Ford.

Overall though you can find an 80s ricer pickup with a little diesel in it... sometimes 4x4... Mitsubishi B series, Isuzu Pup, Chevy LUV, some Toyotas, VW's are among some of these. Most can be had fairly reasonably and are pretty easy to work on.

Good luck with your search.

corndawg
04-08-2006, 11:25 PM
a buddy of mine has a '78 f-250 4x4 with a steel flat bed on it that his dad bought new, sometime in the mid-80's his dad put an Izuzu straight 6 diesel in it, that truck is a beast, sound wise you cant tell it from a cummins other than the turbo, i love that truck, got a mack bulldog hood ornement too lol

Tri-ZNate
04-08-2006, 11:52 PM
Most of your posts deal with cost, Ever hear of biodiesel or even running straight cooking oil? Thats what we do. Biodiesel comes out to $.73 a gallon and straight cooking oil is FREE! Just pick up the used stuff at restaurants and strain it down to like 2 micron. Smells like french frys :w00t:.
Oh and we didnt get the VW rabbit lol, he LOWERED it to $1000 and it needs about $2000 put in to get it in running order :rolleyes:

cliff2302
04-09-2006, 12:20 AM
We are actually working on a biodiesel lab right now, unforunitely so is everyone else in buffalo so we're having problems getting waste veggy oil.

Tri-ZNate
04-09-2006, 07:51 AM
thats why ya need to live in the middle of nowhere :D. We have 5 restaurants, 1 school, and one VFW hall that we pick up for. 200 gal of bio done and have about 50 more gal sitting in thier containers ready for the process. Along with 200 gal of methanol :rolleyes: maybe I can start running methanol instead of gas :naughty:.

Oh and just so you know, veggie oil is a ongoing war! If you spot someone with veggie oil in their truck bed, the only decent thing to do with it is take it. One guy took the oil from our spot so we took it back. :lol:

cliff2302
04-09-2006, 11:52 AM
We do live in the sticks, there are alot of high tech rednecks around, lol. What process are you using to refine the waste oil, the one where you add a gallon of gas and a gallon of diesel and some additives to 20 gals of WVO, or the one where you have to have a big mixing contraption and it takes a long time?

IrvSLedman
04-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Well its all a very good idea, but really it would probably be more usless than anything, all the power that a diesel has and the weight. that truck would cost a fortune, and be really hard to keep. Since your talking ranger/s10 they are danty little trucks, you put a good ole diesel in there, and your talking about some serious weight, even a smaller one, so the front ends will have to have alot into them, then the body.. and for such strong materials to keep its small, your talking some expensive parts/labor.. to be compact and reliable, with power.torque would mean alot of $$.. at least thats IMO.