PDA

View Full Version : A diesel in a 3 wheeler...

HerculesEngine
04-05-2006, 09:13 PM
Hi all, I'm sure many of you have seen the Polaris four wheeler that came out in 2000 with a diesel engine in it. Well, that ATV has given me an interesting idea :idea: . How about a diesel engine in a three wheeler? I think it would be an interesting combination for cruising around and economy, plus the novelty and cool sound of a one lunger diesel :) . Perhaps an air cooled Yanmar, Deutz, Lombardini, or Hatz diesel with a running clutch or automatic belt drive transmission :idea: . Even one of the old lister liquid one lungers would be a cool one :cool: (used on many Onan gensets) Needless to say I think it would be a neat thing... at least for me.

Now, I'd like to find a stock frame if possible... that has brakes, axle, decent plastics, and most importantly a lot of vertical clearance. I was thinking something like a simple hardtail with a bad motor.... speaking of which I have a 1983 YTM200E thats sitting for parts in the driveway :idea: .

Yeah I'm sure you folks think I'm crazy :crazy: , but someone's gotta do these things. Heck, thats almost as good as putting an exotic commercial engine in a 70s pickup chassy :lol: .

If I do have this trike together before trikefest- I'll tell you folks one thing- ITS COMING WITH ME! I'll have it running like a Detroit 453T with N70 injectors with a twin off an 8V53... like the Alvin Lee song Detroit Diesel :lol: It will smoke black like the rest of them!

Any comments? THANKS!!:D

Chevy200s
04-05-2006, 09:19 PM
Hey I thought I saw a 353 detroit in a 200x frame the other day:wondering ...:lol: she knocked a little but it shook the ground when she was fired up and runnin, lol.
and forget about foulin out the spark plugs, haha that wouldnt be a problem either. Seriously though I like the idea, it would be sweet to see at trike fest.

"youve got me runnin like a detroit diesel, like Im in overdrive..." :Bounce

Dusty
04-05-2006, 09:33 PM
yea i second that...i love the idea....would love to chug around on that thing.....

IrvSLedman
04-05-2006, 10:33 PM
We were thinking about doing that with a snowmoblie.. It would be sweet

Ryan

Cody
04-05-2006, 10:41 PM
Can I say SWEET!?

HerculesEngine
04-05-2006, 11:09 PM
Hey Sledman-

I was almost convinced in putting a Wisconsin diesel into an 80s Yamaha SRV of mine- the Wisconsin came out of a Bolens garden tractor. I guess people from Western NY think alike!! :lol:

Noticed you are from Randolph- I have a friend who lives just outside the village who restores vintage wind generators that farmers once used to use to power 6, 12 32, and 110V DC appliances back from the 20s on up into the 60s before rural electrification- he has 2 or 3 of his own up on a couple towers now and plans to power his house solely by wind and battery banks- very interesting setup by the way :) .

Also, he mentioned to me about a whole bunch of hit and miss engines right across the fire station in the village a couple years back- that was some neat find! :cool: Boy was I drooling over some of the pretty engines there- most were oilfield duty- story turned out that some old fella passed away and left the engines to the kids- I missed the auction last year but the engines probably went higher than my pocket could afford anyways. I recall at least 2 or 3 really nice Jacobsen sideshafts :cool: Those hit and miss engines are just another hobby on top of everything I do now...

Thanks for the inputs so far... CYA!! :)

atvnut
04-08-2006, 08:59 AM
That sounds very interesting! would love to see the completed project! Please let me know if you complete this....Im around spencerport from time to time and would love to see it.....Maybe we can get you on American Inventor LOL!