PDA

View Full Version : ??Kawasaki Tecate?????

Yamaha_Rules69
03-16-2003, 11:07 PM
Can anyone explain to me or post a picture of what the rear suspension is supposed to look like on the Kawasaki Tecate 250 models? From the one I've seen, their wierd. Are they supposed to have an arm like hydrolic in back of the shock? I know of where I can pick up this Tecate, but I have no Idea if it is a tecate of some pile somone put together. Its hard to tell, because all the decals are off it, but it has a plastic green tank, which is very sun faded, and has no source of ID at all. It has a radiator above the front fender. The engine is covered in like 1/4 inch dust from sitting in the back of a shed for so long. It has a kick start type engine. Im sure I could buy it from the guy for $50. Its sat in this place and hasnt moved for about a year and a half. The exhaust is sitting on the ground, but the engine kicks over freely, and has good compression. I remember him saying something about a 250, but its gotta be an earlier model if anything for sure. If anyone has any ideas about what this is, or can post a pic of that rear susp. setup, that would be a great help. Thanx

84250r
03-16-2003, 11:24 PM
Well i know all models were liquid cooled 84,85,86,87 86/87 had more front and rear suspenion.

250rmanfmf
03-17-2003, 12:42 AM
Yep thats a 84 or a 85 Tecate alright, I have pics of the rear suspension I could send you through email if you email me. Most likey if you buy it you will have to buy a new stator or flywheel or both. so get it as cheap as possible, if you need to know anything else let me know, my email is
250rman@foxinternet.com

MustangChris
03-17-2003, 03:04 AM
Hope it helps.

http://www.members.aol.com/a92evilgt/tecate.jpg

http://www.members.aol.com/a92evilgt/kaw4.jpg

Yamaha_Rules69
03-17-2003, 06:05 PM
Yep, its got an arm behind the shock just like the one in that pic. Thanx for that pic, now I know for sure its a tecate. It must be an older one tho, becaues I sat on it and the shocks dont even compare to my X, because they had a small amount of travel.(the newer ones had to have a more safisticated suspension) It looks to me like its a 81 or 82 model. I dont know if it would be worth buying, because parts become hard to find and expensive. I know for sure that the berrings are out in the rear end, because it tips from side to side. What year is that one in the pic? It looked pretty close to that, besides having the front fender, and the rear plastic. Tell me what you think. Thanx

Jeb
03-17-2003, 07:09 PM
The official Tecate years are: 84-87

1984/85 for the one's shown in the post above. Top pic is 84, bottom is 85. if the strut and swingarm is gold, it's an 84. if silver, it's an 85. some people will argue that there is an 83 Tecate. The 84 was actually released early in 83. radiator of these trikes is mounted above the front fender.

The 86/87 has an adjustible strut and the swingarm is aluminum and painted silver stock. the chassis is way different. the radiators are twin units mounted the frame like MX bikes and 250rs and tri-zs.

hope this helps

Kilborg
03-17-2003, 07:57 PM
For a little explenation on how the kawi setup works (i think its pretty cool actually) here you go...

basically you have a setup similar to the monoshock system on something along the lines of a 250r, only there is a rod instead of the shock. The arm is mounted to a pivot, which in turn nails the shock when your airing it out and such. As most 250r guys (and experienced riders) point out, the honda Prolink is a better system, but the kawi works pretty well. The late models are quite a bit better then the old, but im not going to turn this into a honda rules thread (mines been waiting for some parts for about 3 or 4 months now).

you probably know this stuff already, but im bored and have nothing to do.

Yamaha_Rules69
03-17-2003, 10:10 PM
I believe it looks more like the bottom one. So it must be an 85 or so. Thanx for all the info guys.

Yamaha_Rules69
03-18-2003, 11:38 PM
What was a Kawasaki 250P1 Police? It was made in 1984 I know, but what kind of trike is it?

Jeb
03-19-2003, 10:12 AM
The Kawasaki police model I believe is a modified KLT250.

In one of the police academy movies, steve gutenburg is riding one on the beach and chases a blazer or bronco or something. then again that might be a honda of somekind. It's solid white.