PDA

View Full Version : Setting up dual monitors.

burnoutboy
04-14-2006, 02:31 AM
Hi,I have a spare monitor and would like to run my computer to run 2 monitors.
How is this done.Any special parts required....?

Cheers.

Dammit!
04-14-2006, 02:36 AM
You have to either run dual video cards or have a video card with dual outputs. I have a geforce (6600 I think) with dual DVI outs on it. Works very well. I've done it a few different ways with various different graphics cards. You do NOT need to have matching cards or even matching brands.

burnoutboy
04-14-2006, 04:07 AM
Hey Mate,
Do I need a good computer for this...The one im running is prehaps from 2000/01.
I also have 1 flat screen(current one) and one normal one.Does this change anything?

Cheers.

burnoutboy
04-14-2006, 04:09 AM
I have a spare graphics card out of my old computer...Will this do?

ScottZJ
04-14-2006, 06:57 AM
You can do one of 2 things like stated above. One is to get a dual vid card.(you need to check the specs of the cards as most dual output cards are high end and might not work with your system) Second thing you could do is use an S video out for the second monitor. The problem with that is your monitor must have the S video out in order to plug it in. I have both on my system. I have the dual Gforce vid card for both my monitors and then I also have an S video card for my 23" LCD TV. That way I can have 3 monitors showing the same thing if I wanted. hehe

Dammit!
04-14-2006, 10:33 AM
You don't really need a powerful computer. A good amount of RAM will help though.

Your other video card may work. Depends on a couple things. If you run an AGP card in your system now and the other card you have also uses an agp slot, then no. Your computer will only have one agp slot so the other card would have to be pci.

ScottZJ
04-14-2006, 02:39 PM

Your computer will only have one agp slot so the other card would have to be pci.

Or in my case you have no AGP slot and a PCI Express. ;) :lol:

Dammit!
04-14-2006, 08:15 PM
Or in my case you have no AGP slot and a PCI Express. ;) :lol:

PCi Express didn't exist when his computer was built. :p

Maine_Triker
04-14-2006, 11:23 PM
You can do one of 2 things like stated above. One is to get a dual vid card.(you need to check the specs of the cards as most dual output cards are high end and might not work with your system) Second thing you could do is use an S video out for the second monitor. The problem with that is your monitor must have the S video out in order to plug it in. I have both on my system. I have the dual Gforce vid card for both my monitors and then I also have an S video card for my 23" LCD TV. That way I can have 3 monitors showing the same thing if I wanted. hehe
LOL... that's what I want to do too! I want to play Call of Duty on one monitor while checking email or browsing 3WW on the other... all while watching High Def TV on the plasma screen :drool: Oh... that would be sweet... think I'd need a better processor though... haha. A Dual-Core FX would do it I reckon :naughty:

What I really want though is an ALX system with Quad SLI... haha... those are way too awesome

ScottZJ
04-14-2006, 11:33 PM
Yeah here is my set up. The 2 LCD computer monitors and the TV on the way is what I use. the monitor on the left is just a flat panel CRT but is on my docking station for my laptop.

http://www.fototime.com/{5F6A2071-477D-476A-97E3-86721CC4512A}/picture.JPG