PDA

View Full Version : A little harsh?

PowerTrike
03-17-2003, 11:05 PM
Yesterday I was stopped by the DNR. First time this ever happened to me. It was extremely nice out for a MN March day so I decided to take a quick spin in the ditch with my Big Red to go through the mud. I was just going out for maybe 15 minutes so I didn't take my helmet which I normally wear. (mistake) I was just putting along and even waved to and old couple as I passed them. Anyway I came off a back road and crossed a main road. Then a DNR officer who seemed to come out of nowhere flashed his lights at me. I stopped immediately and honestly answered all of his questions. I was in trouble for "operating on a public road" and not wearing a helmet. I promised that it wouldn't happen again and apologized. He then just told me to go home and I did. My trike is also currently registered and plated with the MN DNR (expensive enough). I was only about 3/4 mile away from my house.

:x Next thing I know, he calls and says that I will be getting
a citation (misdemeanor) in the mail with a (possibly large) fine. I’m gonna have to pay it. No way I’m going to court over this.

No warning whatsoever. Kind of makes me mad since many of
my friends have been stopped before (multiple times) with only slight warnings and maybe even a quick friendly chat with a police or DNR officer for driving an ATV on back-roads. I have absolutely nothing against the justice system and I believe that they usually do a good job. But I had to disagree with this officer for not giving me a Warning first. :? Whada you guys think?

jeswinehart
03-17-2003, 11:12 PM
do sound like a after thought on his part. i haven't got a ticket in so long for anything ( only got one in my life) but don't they ask you to sign the ticket ?

john

PowerTrike
03-17-2003, 11:16 PM
do sound like a after thought on his part. i haven't got a ticket in so long for anything ( only got one in my life) but don't they ask you to sign the ticket?

yeah thats what i thought - he musta took time to think it over? I'm not sure if i have to sign (coming in the mail) never got a ticket trailprotrailpro either. :(

J.D.
03-17-2003, 11:18 PM
That's bullcrap, but if you really want to fight a ticket, I've heard you can use the Consitution as a weapon being as it is it grants you as an American citizen the right to transportation...now that's what I've been told, never checked into it, so feel free to correct me anybody.