PDA

View Full Version : What you didnt know about using POSTAL money orders on ebay

Orangecnty250r
04-18-2006, 07:47 PM
OK this blew me away...Postal money orders...Info I am sure 90% of postal money order consumers didnt know.

I sent out a money order several weeks ago and the seller said they did not receive it.
No biggie...these Postal money orders have serial numbers right? I figure I'll go on line and track and/or cancel the money order.

I navigate the USPS web site get to the money order section and in BOLD letters

"You cannot trace or cancel money orders"!!!!!

I read further .....
IF you want to verify if a money order has been cashed fill out form 4061 and pay the #3.15 FEE !!!

I call customer service and say.... I have your web site in front of me and I cant believe what i'm reading. I told them I need a live person to tell me so I can believe its true. They confirmed it.
He proceeds to tell me if I fill out the form and pay the Fee I will know if its been cashed in 2 WEEKS!!!!!
If its not cashed in two months I may receive a refund..Theoretically someone can be out there money for up to 3 months !!!!

Come on this is 2006 and this is money....A better system is should be expected. Just like UPS tracking. Its unacceptable I will not be using them anymore....What do you guys think??

Maine_Triker
04-18-2006, 07:55 PM
That's the USPS for you. They run a truly messed up system.

To me Paypal is the best thing ever invented... safe, secure, instant, it's almost perfect.

Orangecnty250r
04-18-2006, 07:59 PM
I always use paypal when accepted and money orders are a big business.... alot of people use them....Think of what can happen now if you send out a big one!!!! I definetly thought people should know this

ScottZJ
04-18-2006, 08:30 PM
The reason I use only postal money orders is that you "can" get your money back to some extent if you work hard enough. But the main reason I use postal money orders is its a FEDERAL OFFENSE! if someone cashes the money order without following thru on the transaction. Thats why its a must to put on the order what it is you are purchasing. I have sent 2 people to jail from ebay buy using the postal money orders. Mind you it wasnt just my auctions, it was others involved that happen to send in USPS money orders too. Once its over 500$, its a felony. And jail time with the Feds is nothing to play with..........peace

ClayW
04-18-2006, 08:32 PM
Well the reason I have always accepted them is because a lot of the others out their can be faked real easily. Fake money orders have screwed many a person out of some money. Always the seller. I assumed USPS money orders would be the safest way to go next to PayPal.

Clay

Orangecnty250r
04-18-2006, 08:38 PM
The reason I use only postal money orders is that you "can" get your money back to some extent if you work hard enough. But the main reason I use postal money orders is its a FEDERAL OFFENSE! if someone cashes the money order without following thru on the transaction. Thats why its a must to put on the order what it is you are purchasing. I have sent 2 people to jail from ebay buy using the postal money orders. Mind you it wasnt just my auctions, it was others involved that happen to send in USPS money orders too. Once its over 500$, its a felony. And jail time with the Feds is nothing to play with..........peace

Hmmm....thats make sense and it makes me feel a little bit better for sure...but they should update the system....I do think its ridiculous you cant punch in the number and tell whether its been cashed for free. Thats good it worked for you

dreadhed
04-18-2006, 09:06 PM
I knew their MOs worked like that. It is goverment run. What do you expect? Any business the goverment run is crap, not near as good as a private business. 2 months sounds about right for them to do anything.

I do use them though. Also it is the only MO I will take. Like the othe guy said there are to many fake MOs out there & I don't want one.

Yamahondaman
04-18-2006, 09:19 PM
no matter if the Postal Money Order doesn't make it to the person you send it to or you rip it up,loose it, or somebody steals it and cashes it .........
IT IS 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE !!!!!
just make sure you keep the top part ... the receipt !!!
Circle K, 7-11,ETC. Don't do that !!! they say .... "OH WELL" ?? you want another one ? :-)

82300R
04-18-2006, 09:43 PM
a while back i purchased a rear brake caliper for a spare. the seller only accepted money orders. sent it out the next day. a few weeks go by no caliper. i email the guy to see if he recieved it. he claims no. so i wait one more week still has not recieved it. so i send another one certified mail. he gets that one, i get the caliper. post office gives me the form and says to wait so many days then fill it out to get a refund. they did make a call and the m.o. had not been cashed. well i still never filled out the form yet to see if it has been cashed. i need to , i'm curious to see if the guy did get the original and held on to it and cashed it later. that way he would have gotten double payed. if enough people did that you could rake in some extra jack that way, that is untill you would get caught.:naughty: :naughty:

erectordale
04-18-2006, 10:10 PM
I have had a lot of trouble with the mail and checks lately. so all money orders and checks are sent certified with deliver signing neccassary. I've had alot of trouble with large checks and this has solved it. When I bid on ebay the fee for sending a money order this way is fiqured in too what I bid.

I wish I knew where the check for 4700.00 is been lost in the mail system for 3 weeks

Howdy
04-19-2006, 08:25 AM
I have recieved 2 Fake Postal m/o's in the past year. The good thing is that I cash most if not all m/o's via the Post Office. They seem to have a VERY good set up for catching bad ones. ;)

Howdy

firehart
04-19-2006, 09:07 AM
PayPal is not perfect either. My brother sold something on Ebay to someone and they paid via Paypal. My brother looked at his account and it showed that that person had paid. After he sent the item, for some reason, Paypal took the money back out of his account. It took him about two weeks to get his money back. I think that the buyer may not have had the funds in their checking account when the bought the item. I know that my PayPal account is set up with my checking so I can pay and receive payments with it. Even cashiers checks are not 100 percent safe. I guess the only safe way is in person with cash but that's impossible this day and age.

Aussieduner
04-19-2006, 07:20 PM
I recieved and International USPS Money order from the US and had boy was that a problem,Post Office didnt honour it and only 3 banks in Australia would accept it IF i had an account with them which i didnt.I then had to open an account and deposit the money order then wait 28 days for it to clear...never again !

Aussie