PDA

View Full Version : Trikefest MX classes - need input

TimSr
04-24-2006, 10:33 PM
Last year we had so many two stroke open class contenders we split that class into two groups, and put the faster riders in a 2 stroke advanced class.

The original plan for this year was to have a novice 4 stroke open class (350x), a novice 2 stroke open class, and an expert open class. The expert open class would have been almost all two strokes anyways, based mostly on suspension cabilities on an MX track. Virgil on his YTZ426 was the only real exception.

The dilemma Im now faced with is that a few guys who are running the expert class also would like to run 350X's in 4 stroke open class. It would not be fair to put expert class riders into a novice class so they have nowhere to run.

Last year we started with 8 riders in the open 4 stoke class. What I thought about doing was running both a novice and an expert 350x class if we have enough riders. I may still put Virgil in with the 2 strokes since he wouldnt have any problem being competitive in that class, and I think hed like to get a piece of those guys anyways. Maybe he can weigh in on this thread.

This is what I need to know from ALL OPEN 4 STROKE RIDERS (These are pretty much 350X's as we have a separate 250cc 4 stroke class)

If we do both a novice and an expert 4 stroke class, I want those of you who WILL BE RACING in either class to post which class you would race in, if we ran both.

Please keep this thread clean as I need this information for the trophy buyer. I only want to hear from who is running a 4 stroke open class. This is not the thread to talk trash, or give the reasons you cant come or tell how good you would have done if your trike was running. I just want to hear from those running. Also, I only want to hear from those who are absolutely 100% positive they will be there, and they will race. It really sucks to buy trophies because a bunch of guys say they are coming, and then dont show up. If you dont know for sure, or are a maybe, then please do not respond in this thread.

Right now I have Derrick Adams racing the Expert 4 stroke Open Class as he is the one who brought this to my attention. Im assuming 3Leggeddog will want to humble him as well in an expert 4 stroke open class.

Who else?????

3leggeddog
04-24-2006, 10:40 PM
yeap,i'm in.4 stroke open expert

350Xhilaration
04-24-2006, 11:55 PM
I'll be in the novice class with my 350X.

Can we run both expert and novice or only one or the other?

I'm not sure how well I'll do this year, so I'm not quite sure which class to be in. But I will definitely be racing the 350X in at least one of the classes.

ScottZJ
04-26-2006, 07:35 AM
Well Tim the only problem with that is who decides on who is "expert" and who isnt? The reason I am saying this, is some really knarly riders might try to ride the novice class so that they win or do good. Would there be a way to do a quick 1 lap qualifying lap or something like that? I know I probably wont even be racing so not sure why I am talking about it lol, but just thought I would like to help........peace

3WheelsForever
04-26-2006, 11:22 AM
Yeah you can throw me in with the two stroke guys.

dizasterzrfun69
04-27-2006, 09:55 PM
Well i will be there for sure and have my 350x, i've never raced any mx type stuff in my life so i would definately be novice.

Kevin

atctim
04-28-2006, 11:37 AM
I will be there for sure and want to run in the expert 350X class if there are enough participants.

TimSr
04-29-2006, 12:03 PM
Can we run both expert and novice or only one or the other?

I'm not sure how well I'll do this year, so I'm not quite sure which class to be in. But I will definitely be racing the 350X in at least one of the classes.

My first inclination was to say that it would kind of defeat the the purpose, but then I figured if you felt you were a novice class rider, Im sure the guys in the expert class would not object to your running there. On the other hand, if I was running a novice class, and a rider Brandon pulled up next to me on the line, Id be crying "foul" and "sandbagger".

You may want to think twice about running two classes if you are having trouble with arm pump and fatigue, though. The biggest shock new riders get is fiding how how physically demanding MX is.

You saw everybody run last year and have an idea where you woudl fit, so if you feel you are novice class on the track, I will allow you to run both classes.

TimSr
04-29-2006, 12:19 PM
Well Tim the only problem with that is who decides on who is "expert" and who isnt? The reason I am saying this, is some really knarly riders might try to ride the novice class so that they win or do good. Would there be a way to do a quick 1 lap qualifying lap or something like that? I know I probably wont even be racing so not sure why I am talking about it lol, but just thought I would like to help........peace

Hey Scott,
I think the honor system works pretty good, especially for those who have been there and run before. The only real question would be someone who hasnt run there and doesnt really know where they fall, and I think about 5 minutes of talking with me could head them in the right direction. If some expert class rider is that desperate for a trophy to sandbag their way into the novice class, we can let them win one. The expert class riders I was thinking of have already stepped forward in this thread. Thats what is so great about informal racing with rules based on judgement instead of technicalities. last year when I split the 2 stroke class, I had no trouble getting volunteers run with the faster riders.

Here are some general guidlelines:

If you've never raced before, or you have only raced a couple times at Trikefest, you are likely a novice class rider unless you cleaned up in your class without much close competition, or you came out close to being on top with a major handicap.

If you never lost sight of flyin' Bryan's rear number plate, you are probably an expert class rider.

If you have run organized MX on multiple occasions, and especially if you beat me on multyiple occasions, you are probably an expert class rider.

If you repeatedly kick evrybodys butt, but your prototype bikes breaks, and you think itll stay together this year you are an expert class rider.

We probably all know who these people are, and they are honorable guys who will run the right class. If anybody has any doubt about what class they should run, they can discuss it with me.

TimSr
04-29-2006, 12:26 PM
Yeah you can throw me in with the two stroke guys.

Good! I think those buys want a piece of you! Those Hondas cleaned up last year, so Im counting on you and Billy to bring honor back to the world of Yamaha. I did okay when I was the only guy with experience, but now I dont think Im much of a match for you younger guys who have been practicing! You guys stomp 'em and Ill try to stay close enough to watch!:Bounce

Billy Golightly
04-29-2006, 01:16 PM
Tim I'm thinking about racing a 250sx...Do we have a seperate utility class like last year for the suspended and unsuspended models?

TimSr
04-29-2006, 03:50 PM
Hey Billy, Ive made up a flyer sheet for MX, but its in Word .doc format. Can you convert it to pdf? I can email it to you.

Lets see if this link will work

http://home.neo.rr.com/timtim/TF2006MX.doc

350Xhilaration
04-29-2006, 03:57 PM
Yeah, I may just "stay on the porch". I dunno if I can run with the big dogs for all of the laps. I think I can hang it out for 1 good lap and after that...I'm just another out of shape 30 something guy.

Thanks for the reminder.

TimSr
04-29-2006, 04:03 PM
Make sure you get off the porch at least long enough to run one class!

ScottZJ
05-01-2006, 01:09 PM
Yeah I might be doing the "arm chair racing" myself and sit back and watch it all. Unfortunately I dont have a sporty trike for the races. Heck maybe I will bring the 110 out and see what I can do haha.

Derrick Adams
05-01-2006, 01:11 PM
Yeah I might be doing the "arm chair racing" myself and sit back and watch it all. Unfortunately I dont have a sporty trike for the races. Heck maybe I will bring the 110 out and see what I can do haha.

Pretty sure you have a 350X sitting in your garage!:Bounce

ScottZJ
05-01-2006, 01:15 PM
Pretty sure you have a 350X sitting in your garage!:Bounce

Actually I do and I raced a couple years ago with it but with the way the tracks are set up now, my big tail would kill the 350x suspension trying to jump haha.:lol:

Derrick Adams
05-01-2006, 01:21 PM
Know exactly what you mean. Mines under the knife right now getting upgrades.

Derrick Adams
05-01-2006, 03:42 PM
if your name is tim sr.,and you started this whole mx craze,got some other crazy ohio boys into mx,and now get your butt spanked you are proabally a expert rider that needs to step it up!!!!

some friendly words of motivation from the 3leggeddog,lol.

bolt that new top secret shock on there,and show me up.as long as ohio brings home the gold again i am happy

TimSr
05-01-2006, 08:59 PM
if your name is tim sr.,and you started this whole mx craze,got some other crazy ohio boys into mx,and now get your butt spanked you are proabally a expert rider that needs to step it up!!!!

I think what I NEED is to retire! Maybe next year we will have a 45+ class for me. :wondering

TimSr
05-01-2006, 09:02 PM
Heck maybe I will bring the 110 out and see what I can do haha.

Not afraid of a little old fat guy on a Suzuki, are ya?????:naughty:

3leggeddog
05-01-2006, 09:04 PM
no,no,no.i have way to much fun runnin with you.no retirement,haha.

it's all in fun tim,atleast you actually race instead of just talkin about it.that in it's self deserves a trophy.

but hey,if all you guys run the 45+ group,who's gonna run with me?,lol

3WheelsForever
05-02-2006, 12:39 PM
If you repeatedly kick evrybodys butt, but your prototype bikes breaks, and you think itll stay together this year you are an expert class rider.

:lol: Thats great, this year the quirks should be all worked out.

TimSr
05-02-2006, 09:36 PM
but hey,if all you guys run the 45+ group,who's gonna run with me?,lol

When I said 45, I figured Id be the only one racing, except maybe Dads again! I couldnt do worse than 2nd place that way.