PDA

View Full Version : ATC 500R... Round Two!

Derrick Adams
04-28-2006, 02:49 PM
I've just been thoroughly disgusted with this project for awhile now.

I machined some 250R triples to accept the 500 forks and installed them, but the rake in the main stem, combined with the rake in the triples just wouldn't work.

Then I decided to use 250R plastics and had the tank mounts and rear subframe built to accept them, only to have everything turn out no exactly as planned, which made me hate the project even more.

To top it off, I decided to use the original swinger and just modify it to accept the Banshee rear-end that I bought. Which ended up being offset to align the sprockets, and I hated it as well.

So here I am looking at this monstrousity and just getting pissed. Tons of time and money down the drain. Sell it or Start over?

I decided to try it one more time. If it doesn't turn out the way I want this time, I'm parting it!

Step one:
Get rid of that damn front end! I swapped out my 350X front end and noticed that the 350X has no rake in the triples, so it was a natural choice. To be honest, it's the way to go. The X and the CR both share the same steering stop arrangements so no modification is neccessary. I swapped the steering stems and bolted it on.

Step two:
Tear the plastics off and start over! Off came all the 250R stuff and back on went the stock CR tank. Had to run the 350X front fender of course. I'll probably still use the 250R rear plastic and seat after a new subframe is built.

Step three:
What to do with this swingarm? For starters this one has got to go! After some careful measuring it looks like the 350X swinger and axle assembly will fit with very little modification, so that's the next step. Unfortunately I can't do that until I finish the 250R rear suspension swap to the 350X.
The bike will end up being similar to a 250R with a +2" swinger, so most likely it will have to be extended at some point, but for now I just want to ride it!

Here's a before picture and a current picture. Looking much better I think!

BigGreenMachine
04-28-2006, 03:12 PM
Definately looks better. This is going to be the flattrack racer you had planned? The swinger swap should make it look great and handle tons better. IMO it'll be one heck of a looker when its shortened up.

cr500=3wheeler
04-28-2006, 05:08 PM
see i told you , you should have just bought mine .... just kidding keep it up there is a company in phoenix Az that can build you a swing any size you like and they should have the jig already just a thought . MARC

Jeb
04-28-2006, 05:23 PM
I like the 500Rs with the CR tank and shrouds. Gives them a different look.

I also like the leading axle 350X front end. :beer

cragster
04-28-2006, 07:52 PM
Looks good! Gonna be a fast one. Exactly what are you gonna do with it? Drag? Flat Track? Also i wanna go riding with ya sometime.....Im gettin my 350x fixed soon.

Derrick Adams
04-29-2006, 08:19 AM
Not sure what i'm doing with it yet. Originally I wanted to just build one to ride. But now it's starting to look more like it will have to be a drag bike. BUT, if I can't beat Jason on his XL500 trike with my 250R in the flat-track races, I could easily use this for that. I think it will make a little too much power for the short track we have though. And it would DEFINATELY need a brake upgrade!

ChrisD
04-29-2006, 09:18 AM
Has anyone built a CR500 to be anything other than a drag or dune bike? I haven't come across one built for the woods or flat track. I see 250Rs with the CR motor, but not a CR conversion.

I stuck with the stock stuff and put the ESR motor in it like a couple others on here.

03 ORANGE SHEE
04-29-2006, 08:28 PM
that bike looks great!i bet it rips! have to rode it around yet??

travis712
04-29-2006, 09:06 PM
Wow that thing is gnarly. Get some vid's once your done with it lol.

Louis Mielke
04-29-2006, 11:46 PM
well once again this kinda project is a labor of love, trial and error. Three long years in mine so fr and still not done, much closer though. This pic is about 2 months old now, switched to 450r palstic and seat, (no comments on seat angle! its better now, this was just temp for the pic)

Definatly commin along now, engine is 100% complete. Even got the accustart kit witch does make a world of difference. Got my custom aluminum airbox complete which is freakin sweet. and I'm finishing up the drive line now. All thats left will be finallizing the welding on the subframe and then tear down for cosmetics.

Anyone who wants to do this, and I know many others can vouch for this, PLAN AHEAD, TAKE YOUR TIME, and make wise purchases.

And yes, this is an all purpose bike, not just a straight liner.

And I repeat this picture is old. Lotsa work done since then, just no time for pictures/updates on my wedsite.

200x Basket
04-30-2006, 04:20 PM
you could buy mine. it runs great, kick starts great, and looks great!!! $3000

i like to think it is an all around bike. the +6" swinger does hurt the turns some but you can jsut gas it and slide the rear to make up for that. I have not EVER had it in the mud and do not plan to:lol:

Louis Mielke
04-30-2006, 08:43 PM
How bad is turning on that bike? Mines +4" but of course my rakes a little different. I'm still wondering about my turning radius.

200x Basket
05-01-2006, 05:28 PM
turning is no problem, keeping the front end down is!!