PDA

View Full Version : Need a computer whiz!

MTS
04-28-2006, 11:36 PM
Hey,
For the last few days my norton anti-virus keeps coming up with this Virus.......called Spyquake? or something...anyways it cant get rid of said files...and its starting to severly Piss me off cause no java applets will work on the net, and this Stupid Thing keeps popiung up saying "your computer is infected bla bla bla" is there some program i can download to fix this? or a manual way of doing it? im familiar enough with Pc's to git r done once i know what i got to do........I.E.....HELP!!!

Thanks...:beer

Somekindofjerk
04-28-2006, 11:42 PM
http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Personal-Edition/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5

Program is free, run it once a week or so and youll be good to go. Allso... when looking at a Internet Explorer window, click...

1. Tools
2. internet options
3. delete cookies
3. Delete files

Run the scan and do the above once a week and youll be up and running good as new!

MTS
04-28-2006, 11:47 PM
What program ya talkin bout whillis?

Somekindofjerk
04-28-2006, 11:50 PM
Ad aware, removes spyware. The program is free and even has free updates! i use it and have used it for years. Great program.

MTS
04-28-2006, 11:51 PM
Iv Run Spybot S&D (same thing) and it wont- do crap about it........

Somekindofjerk
04-28-2006, 11:55 PM
spybot sucks! Try it, youll be surprised how good it works. i had a problem with java my nortons was saying was a virus that wouldnt go away. Turned out to be spyware!

hancadam
04-28-2006, 11:56 PM
Download and use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer. Firefox is awsome, not many viruses out there for it. Just google it, first site is where to download it.

MTS
04-29-2006, 12:06 AM
....hmmmmm No dice on the ad-aware.........

Somekindofjerk
04-29-2006, 12:11 AM
You cant download it?

MTS
04-29-2006, 12:14 AM
No i downloaded it, and updates+ran it, but i still get the pop-up thing........:s

Somekindofjerk
04-29-2006, 12:15 AM
Did you delete all the files? or just close it out when it was done?

Enigma
04-29-2006, 02:23 AM
Take a look at this site. http://www.spywareremove.com/removeSpy_Quake.html hope this helps

Maine_Triker
04-29-2006, 06:31 AM
Download and use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer. Firefox is awsome, not many viruses out there for it. Just google it, first site is where to download it.
Finally someone with a good suggestion... haha

Really though dude... lose IE and get Firefox... you will never go back.

Also... I don't know about the rest of you guys... but I find that Norton is really sucky... I run AVG anti-virus and am very pleased with it. Also running Ad Aware SE and the "CrapCleaner", that baby works really good.

Phil

atctim
04-29-2006, 07:48 AM
As like others said - use Firefox - get AVG Free from www.free.grisoft.com, then go to microsoft.com and download Windows Defender Beta - all 3 of these are free programs - I use them and have never had any problems. Also - common sense once you get you PC straightened back out - don't visit suspicious sites. Don't click on pop-ups - don't even click "close" on them - simply push Alt and F4 to make them go away.

MTS
04-29-2006, 08:30 PM
i got the problem fixed-i was using firefox on my Other PC (blew a capasitor) just haddnt downloaded it on here yet......got it all cleaned up tho! thanks!

350Xhilaration
04-29-2006, 08:55 PM
Mostly all good advice, but I'd stay away from the MS defender. I've worked with it for a bit and by default it blocks itself from updating and blocks microsoft updates. I'm sure it can be configured to allow these things, but if MS won't build into their own product the ability to be self aware...don't use it. That's just my opinion.

Firefox is very good. As far as there not being "any viruses" for it...that's crap. There are no viruses for web browsers. There are vulnerabilities in browsers and Operating Systems. If there are publicly available exploits for these vulnerabilities before there are patches, then there can be a problem. True, there are less known vulnerabilities with ff than IE, but that is going to change the more popular ff becomes. More people (bad guys) will start diigng through every spec of code looking for things and ways to exploit it. I still agree that noone should use IE as their browser. Use ff or Opera. Opera is probably the most solid of the browsers with the fewest vulnerabilities.
opera stats (http://secunia.com/product/4932/) firefox stats (http://secunia.com/product/4227/) IE stats (http://secunia.com/product/11/) 13, 30, and 101 respectively.
If you run into serious problems that you need resolved quickly, hit the forums at spywarewarrior's site. Post as much detailed info and someone will help you. There is a sticky with software you'll need and steps to follow. HiJack This provides an excellent log of what's happening on your system.
Some useful links for spyware information:
www.spywarewarrior.com
www.stopbadware.org --new site
www.2-spyware.com/

Good luck and happy browsing.