PDA

View Full Version : turbo

yfzysf
05-08-2006, 09:00 PM
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/yfzysf/detail?.dir=4699&.dnm=fb4ascd.jpg&.src=phI know some of you are gonna hate me, but me and a friend cut up a 1981 Honda 250R and made it into a gokart. It works fine, but we are gonna stretch the frame and put suspension in the front. But my biggest plan is to put a small turbo from a mercedes on it. Im going to get the turbo tomorrow, so Ill post pics of the process. Feedback is welcome!Im not sure what model the turbo is from, but if it doesnt work ill put it on our sbc for our sand rail project.

scooterroo
05-08-2006, 09:06 PM
an 81r turned into a go cart, this i have to see. please post some pics when you get them. and adding a turbo? sweet if it will work, keep us posted.

short4stuff
05-08-2006, 09:06 PM
Sweet.. I want to know how far the piston lands away from the cylinder when she blows lol...

But really .. good luck I guess.. and keep me/us updated.. sounds interesting.

CuRt
05-08-2006, 09:15 PM
2strokes and turbos don't mix well unless its a old detroit diesel. You will be loosing your expansion chamber and that is a big part of the power. A turbo from a vehicle will be way too big also, not to menchin all of the jetting issues you will have low speed will either be way too rich or high end melting that thing down so fast you won't know what happend.
Your best bet if you want a fast go cart, sell the R get a kx or cr 500 put that engine on there no lack of power there or a sled engine.

New2ATC
05-08-2006, 09:15 PM
Yeah I too would like to see some pics of this beast..

Tri-ZNate
05-08-2006, 09:59 PM
What mercedes turbo are ya gonna use? I'm curious to see how this will hook up since your probably gonna use a diesel turbo right?

yfzysf
05-08-2006, 10:04 PM
here are som more pics
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/yfzysf/album?.dir=4699&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Billy Golightly
05-08-2006, 10:05 PM
It can be done but your getting into about the single most complex thing that can be done. Its going to require a craptacular amount of math and knowledge of airflow/fuel mixtures to make it work correctly. Good luck.

yfzysf
05-08-2006, 10:05 PM
Oh by the way, that qaud is floating in waist high water!lol, i didnt know it was that deep!

yfzysf
05-08-2006, 10:07 PM
Don't bypass the word filter!

OldSchoolin86
3WW Moderator

yfzysf
05-08-2006, 10:08 PM
and its not that i want it to go fast, i want to tell people i did it!

86tri-z270
05-08-2006, 11:09 PM
yea..... hey man if your gonna succeed more power to you im not going to bash you for ripping apart an r im gonna say goodluck with *Edited**Edited* frankenstein of a machine... so here you are

goodluck

IrvSLedman
05-09-2006, 12:28 AM
why couldnt your friend just use a one of those goofy 4 wheeled 250r machines... its a shame lol But oh well lol good luck especally with that turbo. let me know how it turns out.

yfzysf
05-09-2006, 12:40 AM
thanks for the support, and ill keep progress posted. i am trying to buy an 1985 250r from a friend but he wont give it up. and it will be to ride, not rip apart

Bryan Raffa
05-09-2006, 11:31 PM
2strokes and turbos don't mix well unless its a old detroit diesel. You will be loosing your expansion chamber and that is a big part of the power. A turbo from a vehicle will be way too big also, not to menchin all of the jetting issues you will have low speed will either be way too rich or high end melting that thing down so fast you won't know what happend.
Your best bet if you want a fast go cart, sell the R get a kx or cr 500 put that engine on there no lack of power there or a sled engine.

my buddy has nitrous and a turbo on his vmax 800. Its a 2 stroke and it mixes verry well....:naughty:

OldSchoolin86
05-09-2006, 11:55 PM
my buddy has nitrous and a turbo on his vmax 800. Its a 2 stroke and it mixes verry well....:naughty:
As much as 2-strokes love compression I would have to agree.

dogger
05-12-2006, 05:01 PM
well as regards to two strokes not liking turbo's somebody needs to do some research. back in the 30's there used to be 2 stroke turb race bike''s that were fast by today's standard's.

btw the mercedes turbo is going to be huge for the little 250r. if you want to turbo it look for a 600 turbo sled turbo and you'll have about the right size. other wise you want to look for a hci mini turbo set up and there are hard to find and get. I've been around turbo's for a while and if you get a good turbo don't for get about a intercooler and waste gate and blow off vavle or your going to have a expensive mess.

btw I'm rebuilding a 86 r motor on alky right now for a go kart frame. is a shifter kart style though and will be road use only