PDA

View Full Version : Riding Lawn Mower Help... PLEASE!!!

girlsride2
05-11-2006, 02:35 PM
Yesterday it was a dead battery today I getting running and every time I let out on the clutch/brake, it dies. If I bush clutch back in fast enough it will perk back up.

What causes this? I know absoulutly nothing about these things.AARRGHHH!!!

darrel632
05-11-2006, 02:51 PM
You've either got a :
drive chain binding - not uncommon
stuck between 2 gears - possible
safety switch malfunction

What is it ,what year, what engine, where was it stored for the winter etc?
they are usually no more difficult than a trike

girlsride2
05-11-2006, 02:57 PM
Craftsman, not sure of the year but not new, Briggs & Stratton 15HP, stored in garage. I've already mowed 4 times this year those times went off without a hitch. BTY, I can shift the gears ok

darrel632
05-11-2006, 03:22 PM
can you engage the mower while in neutral and have the mower part operate?

girlsride2
05-11-2006, 03:30 PM
No, to your question. While you were posting this I was out messing with it. Seems it was a safety switch malfuction. I've had the thing disconnected for weeks.(I'm short and have to sit far up on the seat to reach clutch, always trying to die) I guess it just decided to have a fit about it today. I hooked it back up and things went fine. Disconnected it again, and still seems to be running fine. Thanks for the thought, why didn't I think of that?:crazy:

Thanks for your help!!!

darrel632
05-11-2006, 03:34 PM
If you have to ride forward on it get Seedoo to make a plate extender for the seat to engage the switch, or wire it so you have no safety switch (of course, as a professional safety officer I wouldn't ever advise that route) its like a trike 90% of all issues are related to electrics, your dead battery is either corrosion or a bad chunk of wiring somewhere.

girlsride2
05-11-2006, 03:38 PM
Well, for whatever reason, it runs just by disconnecting the safety switch, it's not rigged but seems to work. A plate extender????

girlsride2
05-11-2006, 03:39 PM
Well, for whatever reason, it runs just by disconnecting the safety switch, it's not rigged but seems to work. A plate extender????

corrosion is my guess on the battery, although I've scraped most of it off. Could stand to clean the nuts and bolts though.

darrel632
05-11-2006, 03:45 PM
plate extender on the seat so it engages the safety switch -- I'm assuming its the seat safety thats disconnected right?