PDA

View Full Version : The new ATV crowd

250r'en +TCB
05-16-2006, 01:15 PM
I have been meaning to post this for some time now.... Has anyone else noticed that the ATV crowd is changing greatly before our eyes. It's becoming a family sport. Now first off i want to say that this is a good thing, finally getting mainstream acceptence (at least those 4 wheeled contraptions) is a welcome change. Also we will have more land to ride on if more people ride. However, I have also observed that this change does not come without a price. The crowd that myself and MANY others on these forums belong to is being greatly discouraged and looked upon as the enemy. My crowd is the "young kid who goes fast on a fast machine crowd". Sport models all together are being looked at as a bad group, 2 strokes in particular (us 3 wheeler guys are just screwed! :lol: ). Though I want more people to ride, I don't want them all to look at me as if I'm the enemy. While all my friends are out putting mufflers on there POS hamster powered cars I'm looking for a 310 kit! Thre are always gonna be people like me! The "go fast crowd" you could also call us. People should remeber that this crowd are the ones who got ATV's into the spotlight, after many years!!!

I only hope that people will at least show me common courtasy at ATV parks and such. Also all these crazy speed limits are being made. NH has enforeced a 25mph summer speed limit on all trails!?!?! WTF??? I come ut to have fun, all day I obey the laws! When I'm out on my ATV I'm looking to escape from everyone else! Technicaly the only place in the state you can open up now is frozen lakes!:mad:

Maybe out on the dunes it's a little less drastic because sports is all you have out there. But are you east coast guys following me??
-Devin

edog
05-16-2006, 01:42 PM
I know where you are coming from.You are talking about a tread that was started on the jericolake atv park website.25 mph is a little to slow.If deer can run faster than we can go...I will be pissed.lol

deathman53
05-16-2006, 01:46 PM
25 mph, that is like bottom of third on my 200x, maybe top of second on my 250r(if not bottom). I notice the same thing, lots of kids and how 3 wheelers are hated more than ever now and kids are bought up thinking they are dangerous from ignorant parents. I find it weird that to kids and parents, riding a trx450r at 12-14 is safer than a experience rider on a atc250r?????

250r'en +TCB
05-16-2006, 05:22 PM
^^^ 3 wheelers are never going to gain acceptance, you should all know that. Just smile at them when they tell you they're death traps......;)

But not just 3 wheelers, sport quads in general....... And yes edog your right, that thread really made me see exactly what all those guys on the boards were saying to our "crowd"....... And that was "if you don't like it don't show up!" whatever I'll be at jericho park later on, as for the 25mph speed limit, I may have to double, or perhaps tripple that...... hahahaha
-Devin

Maine_Triker
05-16-2006, 08:40 PM
The reason that a hatred toward the "fast crowd" has developed is simply that a few kids misbehave on their rides... just the other day I saw 2 guys going insane on their shee's in the middle of a residential area. :crazy: The majority of younger riders are very responsible... at least in my experience :p

250r'en +TCB
05-17-2006, 03:23 PM
^^^ Phil you are right with that, but that isn't the only reason. Like I said before, this defiantly seams to be the downside of becoming a "family first" sport......

Enigma
05-17-2006, 04:02 PM
Also we will have more land to ride on if more people ride.

Maybe out on the dunes it's a little less drastic because sports is all you have out there. But are you east coast guys following me??
-Devin

/rant on

Well you definitely don't live in California. California is taking alway every place there is to ride. Then the politicians use the money we pay to offroad like green stickers and camping pass' (sp?) to send them and their families on vacation. :mad:
There is a speed limit of 15 mph near camp sites but other then that the dunes are fast as you want. But there is a HUGE stereotype against duners. People that don't go to the desert belive that the only reason younger people go out to the desert is to smoke weed and get drunk. While alot of young people do go out there for that reason, but I don't. And being im 20 (1 month from 21) I fit right into that stereotype.

My parents went to the desert they they where my age so I grew up out there and have seen lots of changes. I only wish it could go back, because some many people go out there now they have ruined it. Instead of enjoying the weekend, I have to worry about people driving around in $50,000+ buggys that have no clue how to drive them, stoned and drunk people riding there bikes/buggys/trucks, ranges randomly coming into my camp looking for anything wrong, paying fees for camping, people shooting guns (I had a friend get hit in the eye from a stray pellet), and 2+ hour long waits at the dumping stations.

With that being said I don't like the new ATV crowd.

/rant off

firehart
05-17-2006, 04:12 PM
I have had many talks with my son about the "young crowd". While I was into fast cars and young ladies, I did not have the money to get either. All I could do was dream. Today's youth have the money and the abilty to get them, but they don't know how to dream. As for the new ATV crowd it has always been a few bad apples spoiling the bunch. When ever I go out, I pick up up trash and try to leave it better than when I left. I try not to step on anybody's toes and only ride fast away from areas where there are people around. I try to get other people to do the same.

random-strike
05-30-2006, 12:43 AM
people have always gone out and got drunk while racing their cars, atvs, anything with a motor on it... etc... dont pretend like that is new

but with the huge media presence everywhere, we all hear about every single little accident and everytime some idiot does something stupid and hurts themselves everyone in the state.... even country knows.

every single person ive shown (spare this forum) has commented on how dangerous my trike is. I was the only person at this huge.... hugeee off road area with a three wheeler.

it all comes down to personal freedom, if i want to ride a "dangerous" bike thats my prerogative.

besides, anyone with half a brain knows trikes are only as dangerous as the person riding them.

firefirefire90
05-30-2006, 12:54 AM
I agree with Enigma...a few times...me an my friends have done that for just to chill and other things...well...things have changed...i know many people who have gottten badly hurt by buggies and by dumbasses on dirtbikes. Hell i've met many families talking to me bout their sons...wives...daughters and all that who have been killed by drunk people, or that have been hurt critically. Hell im 16 with a 250R and although i respect the rules when i go out there on my friends dirt bikes...i see people blazin it up and gettin drunk then going right on their quadzillas or 450's and goin as fast as they can near the campsites...If we all don't start shapin up..all of our areas will be shut down. Hell, two MX parks that i chilled at have been closed down out here...its stupid..

firehart
05-30-2006, 10:47 AM
Last week there was some kids buzzing around my block with four kids on the four wheeler. Some one called them in because there were driving fast and reckless. With everone buying these machines for their kids someone is bound to get hurt or killed and then the whole process about them being unsafe is going to start all over again. If the parents are not going to moniter and teach their kids how to ride them, they should not buy them. Its not up to the government to protect everyone from getting hurt.