PDA

View Full Version : Whats this? possible project....

PowerTrike
03-23-2003, 12:05 AM
Hey guys: This buggy/racer has been in my woods for years...a big mystery on how it got there. Can anyone tell me exactly what class of mini-cars racing it was in? I know that it was raced a long time ago...it has sposorship stickers all over it. I'm kinda confused on how it all works and may become a project for me someday. Or i might be interested in selling it sometime.

heres a pic. sorry it didn't turn out good. My digital camera is a cheap piece of crap. what you see in the view window is not what picture you get :rolleyes:

Kilborg
03-23-2003, 12:07 AM
It almost looks like a really shoddy early outlaw car, but i have never seen one quite like that. Maybe someone thats been into the circle track racing scene for alot longer then I have would know.

PowerTrike
03-23-2003, 12:09 AM
heres another pic....its really not in as bad of shape as it looks. Just the body/frame is there it needs and engine and drivetrain (might be able to salvage from a cheap old car?) but i think that the engine was int the back of this thing?

Kilborg
03-23-2003, 12:10 AM
If you can, try to get a few more pictures from different angles to help out a bit more.

PowerTrike
03-23-2003, 12:12 AM
heres the back rearend at an angle

ATCRYDER
03-23-2003, 09:51 AM
THose are shitty pictures, and you need some of the entire car.

Youre one lucky boy findin that in your own woods though!!! I say check the damage, clean it up, bring it into the shop or garage and see what ya can dO!

good luck,
Rob

PowerTrike
03-24-2003, 02:43 AM
yes i know the pictures are extremly "shitty" :? I'm gonna buy a new digital camera before too long. Yeah I think that i will probably strip the car of all the old wiring and leftover crap and grime sand it all down and paint sometime. My friend and I think we might be able to make sumtin' outa the body? damn though, how the heck would i set up a rear engine drive? There is absolutly no room in the front! you feet take up the entire area. Bout' enough room for a 5 horse.... it would be a huge project that unfortunatly wouldn't happen this year :shock: . (I'm gonna be working like nuts this summer; gotta buy myself a new daily driver....)

Jonathan
03-24-2003, 03:47 AM
maybe it's supposed to use a VW drivetrain?

PowerTrike
03-24-2003, 06:13 PM
Right on Jonathan! I cleaned it up today and looked at it real good. ITS A VOLKSWAGON! (the VW logo is stamped into the frame in the back) Probably based on the Beetle. So i'm 90% sure that it is a VW dune buggy and that it was raced. I was able to make out 2 decals under the many layers of paint;it read: Valvoline Racing oil. Another reads BUG COOLER ?

so yeah I would probably have to find and old Beetle or something for parts (rear engine) That would prove difficult, theres not many around where i am...

MIK6
03-24-2003, 06:37 PM
It looks like an older Barrian sand rail. I would say prob. a Barrion 902 short back. The rail frame had no stamped numbers of ID. If it has a VW tag in the rear end (behind the driver, infront of the tire) it had probably been made street legal at 1 time (My barrion is titled as a 74 superbettle LOL). The "bug cooler" sticker is prob a "Bug Pac" sticker, bugpac is a huge VW aftermarket company. The pictures are prety bad, but it looks like it had a IRS rearend, I can also see that the front beam is missing. W/ better pictures I could tell you more.

MIK6 / Mike

PowerTrike
03-25-2003, 12:51 AM
Interesting: thanks Mike. I do not see any tag behind the driver. The only id i could find was a VW logo behind the passenger side on the back of the frame (the v on top and the w on the bottom surrounded by a circle) And i am certian that the sticker does read BUG COOLER. Must have been another aftermarket supplier?

250Rstud
03-28-2003, 12:41 AM
:shock: :shock: :shock: :Beerchug :Pimp